Notices

ready to start over

Old 01-08-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ready to start over

I don't know how I ran across this forum, but I'm glad I did because it has motivated me to get clean and STAY clean. I went through absolute hell about 6 months ago... and I was finally starting to feel really good about everything and I thought to myself, "maybe I should reward myself for doing so well"...I rationalized with myself that I would be able to dabble now that I had everything under control but that was a lie....I ended up right back were I was in two weeks. So anyways, does anyone have any tips on things that will make it easier for me? My main problem is the upset stomach and not being able to sleep well. Should I take something lIke Imodium or just let nature run its course? I also thought about taking ambien to help with restless nights but I had a friend tell me I don't wanna go down that road....said that he had a horrible time coming off ambien....any input would be greatly appreciated... thanks!
Old 01-08-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Soup I'm almost 60 days sober. For me, insomnia lasted the first few weeks..maybe a month max. Then I just became totally exhausted and want to sleep allll the time. My stomach settled after a couple weeks. I don't take any meds for pains or sleep. I just try to ride these things out and give my body what it wants. Month 1 was a ton of chocolate lol Now I am drinking a lot of raspberry flavored seltzer and brocolli! Who knows...it's just interesting to be able to even HEAR my body again. I am looking forward to not being so tired all the time though. I actually did use pepto a couple times when I had somewhere to be or was at work. It's gentler on my system than immodium. Always good to talk to your dr too.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome soup! You sound motivated and excited to leave that old, sick life behind. We're so happy to have you here. This is a wonderful place.

My experience was similar to quitforme79's. Insomnia a couple weeks, I craved chocolate & sweets also. I was very anxious & paced a lot too - but I had been drinking all day, every day. It would be good if you could discuss it with a doctor. I know that's not always possible, but it would ease your mind. Staying here on SR - reading and posting - will help with the jitters. Keeping busy is so important. You can do this.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Last time the bubble guts were the worst part of it to me, But by day 3 I had this panic attack where I started thinking WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING!? YOU CAN'T DO THIS, THIS IS WHO U ARE! But now I know that part only lasted a day or so and then it was like I could feel my brain clearing up and the anxiety was gone! This is a weird question but did anyone else find there self overly emotional? I honestly am not much of a crier but after about a week clean it felt like every little thing was making me tear up! Lol. All I can guess is that your no longer masking your emotions with opiates and your brain is trying to get all its chemicals balanced back out.... anyone else experience this? Also thanks for the positive responses... I've never talked to anyone about what I go through so I think it will help me on my road to recoverey. I've debated going to NA meetings, I feel like bottling everything up is part of why I relapse. Its hard to discuss these things with someone who hasn't dealt with it. They do not understand addiction at all. I believe addicts brains are wired differently.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soup6004 View Post
I've never talked to anyone about what I go through so I think it will help me on my road to recoverey. I've debated going to NA meetings, I feel like bottling everything up is part of why I relapse. Its hard to discuss these things with someone who hasn't dealt with it. They do not understand addiction at all. I believe addicts brains are wired differently.
Sounds a lot like the reason I ended up in AA...They "get it."
Old 01-08-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

oh yes, the meetings are great for that....you're right. people in there will know exactly what you're going through right now. it's such a relief to know that this sh*t is not happening to just you, and that others have made it through. find a meeting....I bet it will help.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soup6004 View Post
Last time the bubble guts were the worst part of it to me, But by day 3 I had this panic attack where I started thinking WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING!? YOU CAN'T DO THIS, THIS IS WHO U ARE! But now I know that part only lasted a day or so and then it was like I could feel my brain clearing up and the anxiety was gone! This is a weird question but did anyone else find there self overly emotional? I honestly am not much of a crier but after about a week clean it felt like every little thing was making me tear up! Lol. All I can guess is that your no longer masking your emotions with opiates and your brain is trying to get all its chemicals balanced back out.... anyone else experience this? Also thanks for the positive responses... I've never talked to anyone about what I go through so I think it will help me on my road to recoverey. I've debated going to NA meetings, I feel like bottling everything up is part of why I relapse. Its hard to discuss these things with someone who hasn't dealt with it. They do not understand addiction at all. I believe addicts brains are wired differently.
I absolutely found myself overly emotional, still do sometimes. Day 3 was the worst for me. I am at the three month mark now and still get anxious at times, but I have always been a worrier. My husband is famous for telling me "just don't worry about..."

Wish it were that simple!!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Soup

If you're really worried, I'd see a Dr - if not, just let nature take its course...it's usually not more than 2 or 3 days in my experience for the digestive issues and maybe a week, sometime two, for the sleep to totally settle down to 'normal'.

glad you're here - welcome!

D
Old 01-08-2013, 11:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! :ghug3 It took me at least a couple weeks to settle down after getting sober. Sleep took a bit longer but now I sleep like a baby. (well, like a baby that wakes up often during the night!)
Old 01-09-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, I'm starting tomorrow....I wanna get as close to the weekend as I can cuz I can't call in to work but I also can't work sick. I have a very physical job with very hot environment ....not the best place to detox. So I probably won't be very social once I begin the actual sickness but afterwards I'll def need someone to tell me its possible to STAY clean. I'll talk to yall in a few days.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How was yesterday soup6004? If you didn't drink you are ahead of me. I couldn't stand the shaking so I went and drank. Less than the day before, but still drank.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Drinking isn't my problem, opiates are, and day one is down, I feel "ok"...I feel like I'm in a panic tho, I can't seem to grasp the reality than I CAN go through life without using a drug. I'm so tired of being a slave to this lifestyle, I lose sleep from wondering what i gotta do to score something for work the next day. That's just pathetic to me and I hate that's what I've become. I guess just one day at a time. I don't know anything about alcoholism but I hear the detox is much worse with the shakes and everything, I feel for you bro....just gotta try to get over that hump. My buddy detoxed With me last time except he didn't relapse and he swears I look back and think Wtf was I living like that for!? Keep in touch with me and let me know how your doing.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Opiate withdrawal is no fun and about a 5 day affair (I de-toxed myself twice from legitimate prescriptions). I had no idea about pills; alcohol was my DOC. Pills are gone from my life, but I still fight the alcohol.