Notices

Just joined - Sober 6 months

Old 01-08-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just joined - Sober 6 months

Hi everyone,

Well I probably should have joined this back in the days that I had extreme anxiety and was drinking 3 bottles of wine a night, but better late than never. I don't consider myself a total alcoholic but my dependence to drink and the symptoms I have had from recovery definitely put me in the alcoholic category.

I have currently been sober 6 months, and this time I feel like it should be permanent. I have tried quitting alcohol a few times in the past and each time has been more successful than the last, but this time I think it should stick.

I'm not sure whether this is a forum for newly sober people or whether long term sober people use it too? I hope the latter is true as I have a question to ask those that have gone through and passed the stage I'm at now.. I really hope you can help.

So I've been suffering with depression, and don't know how long it's been there for but the past couple of weeks it feels like it's gotten worse. I have a feeling it's been with me since ive stopped drinking. I have started a new job recently which is very challenging and I feel totally out of my comfort zone and I think this has brought my depression out into the open in the past few weeks. I feel like nothing anyone says or does is making me feel any better, and I can feel myself wanting other people to fix me and I feel a bit helpless.

Now my question to you guys: Is this a normal part of recovery??

I imagined recovery to be a month of pain and then life getting better and better. I am challenging my anxieties as a sober person and making huge progress personally but this depression is making things difficult. Did anyone else notice they were depressed while recovering?

I don't want to take any tabs as I don't want to pick up another addiction. I have managed to kick weed, tobacco, and other drugs and just want to feel like a normal person for a change. I just need reassurance that this is a normal stage of the recovery cycle and I will get out of it.

I pride myself on being a positive person and am continually trying to use mindfullness techniques and positive affirmations to keep me positive, but this negativity had crept in like a poison. It's hurt my confidence in myself a bit.

Anyhow any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, good to hear that you have kicked all those bad habits. congratulations. i also noticed depression the first year i quit drinking. i am sure it was there all along, but i noticed it more after i stopped drinking. i also had to do something about my anxiety so i started a very low dose of anti anxiety medication. so far so good. i also want to be med-free so i am hoping that as i grow as a person and work on my spiritual health, i can get off this medication. i have read on this forum that depression and anxiety is very very common, so you are not alone. but i can't give you and advice really just that it is normal and it does get better. best wishes!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi lily,

Thank you so much for your quick response. I'm glad to hear it's normal. I just couldn't understand why I was feeling like this after Id taken the alcohol out of my routine. I think that maybe the fact that ive noticed my depression and that I am fully aware that im depressed that maybe this is the way out of it? Who knows.

With regards to low dose anxiety meds, what is it that you take? and was there any side effects etc?

I worry that I'll become addicted to anxiety meds. However if they are low dose then it shouldn't be too difficult to gently come off them? How do you feel on them? do they make a difference?

Thanks
Old 01-08-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello bubbs:

I found sobriety in the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Google and read AA's "The Doctors Opinion", "How It works" and "The Promises of Alcoholics Anonymous". See if you can identify..

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-08-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Will do, thanks for the info.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've dealt with depression and anxiety as well all throughout my drinking career as well as now and I'm only 73 days sober. What has helped me - anti anxiety meds and anti-depressant meds. I know some people hate to rely on meds, but for me, it's the right course of action because I self-medicated with alcohol and so far, so good. Once I get on a more stable track, I will consider going off the meds.

Also - I don't know if you're into AA or another program of recovery, but I never, ever was and I tried it this time and I can truly say it changed me for teh better. Just being around people who "get it" and having a community of people who care is such a nice thing to have. I have been co-dependent in the past, I've been needy, I've never felt like I fit in and in these meetings, I do. Maybe consider trying a few to see if you like them?

I didn't like them in the beginning but the more and more I went the more and more I "got it."

Also - anxiety meds are 'addictive' in the sense you need to wean off of them. But tell your doc you have a history of alcoholism. This way, they won't put you on the fast-acting anxiety meds like xanax - where you get an immediate high. I'm on lexapro - don't even know i'm on something, but over time, it helps with the anxiety. Make sure to tell your doc you have a history of addiction and don't want to put on anything close to resembling a benzo or opiate. Then, you should be just fine!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

They simply take the edge off - the way alcohol used to. But you don't notice it. It slowly creeps into your life. Takes 6-8 weeks to fully feel a difference. It's not like a high or a feeling of being high at all. It rebuilds the serotonin in our brains that we killed while drinking!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Interesting. Yeah I think my depression has been there the whole time but it's been hidden from me. It's only now reared it's ugly head and causing me problems.

I'll have a good think about meds. Im not sure whether there is AA around here? I'm in the countryside in Wales UK so not sure if id be lucky enough to have something like this available to me.

I'll check it out though.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Bubbs

Congrats on your 6 months.

If you think you're suffering from depression why not at least talk to your Dr?

You can at least get diagnosed and then have some idea of the treatment options open to you.

You won't have to do anything you don't want to do

D
Old 01-08-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! :ghug3 Congrats on your six months sober. Early sobriety can be a time of emotional ups and downs so that may have something to do with it. Still, see your doctor and tell your symptoms so you can be treated in some way.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...I suffered from depression and anxiety that my doctor wanted to put me on meds for. In my case it was alcohol driven. Once I removed the alcohol and worked the program of AA...I've been living happily without medication. I think it's good to talk with your doctor...I just found a solution that worked for me...Without it. If you're interested in AA...Click on meetings on this site...And enter your town name...Good luck to you...And glad you're here.

Alcoholics Anonymous (A.A.) Great Britain
Old 01-08-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alcoholics Anonymous meetings in Cardiff, Newport and South Wales in general. AA meetings - Alcoholics Anonymous South East Wales Intergroup Website.

If that does not fit your location (welsh geog not being my strong point)

there's this site:
Alcoholics Anonymous (A.A.) Great Britain

D
Old 01-08-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR bubbs I am only a couple months in so I can't give you any advice. Sure you will get even more helpful responses. Glad you found us!
Old 01-09-2013, 12:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Have any of you suffered with insomnia? Been having a lot of trouble sleeping for the past month. This is getting me really down. Feel like a zombie all the time and my brain is going 100mph while I'm in bed trying to sleep.

Got myself booked in to see a doctor tonight so that is a step in the right direction.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Insomnia is very very common Bubbs yeah

10 tips to beat insomnia - Live Well - NHS Choices

D