Notices

Hello.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello.

Hi guys,im 4 days sober now and i hope this time i can get it.
Been drinking 15 years and battled with alcoholism for the past 8. Longest time spent sober is 1 year thanks to the AA 12 step program and regular meetings. Stopped meetings and drank.
For the past 2 years ive been a daily drinker with the occasional 3 day heavy binges with a bit of cocaine, which accelerates my drinking even more.
7 days ago my last binge ended, 3 days spent tapering off and here i am now 4 days sober.
I just cant carry on putting my mind and body through this any more.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome mavrick! Being here will help you so much. I never felt alone after I joined. There's wisdom, support, and hope here. Welcome to the family.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR mavrick

D
Old 01-07-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi mavrick and welcome to SR!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Thanks for your post.
It sounds like you had a year of Sobriety thanks to AA and the 12 steps, but starting drinking after stopping attending and working the program.

Perhaps you are ready to give it another go, I know countless people who have success in 12 step recovery by going to meetings every day in the beginning, finding a Sponsor and really working hard at working the program.

Of course there are other options for Sobriety, In patient rehabs, alternate group meetings, other types of sobriety programs etc. But whatever it is you do, give it a honest try.

While the negatives of using are still fresh in your mind, what helps me is to write a list of the reasons why I don't want to continue boozing and using.
This list can be a invaluable tool to look at once a couple weeks passes and we "Forget" just how bad life got during our times we were using.

What helped me also was keeping away from my old "Friends" who were actively boozing and using, I also stayed away from my old stomping grounds which I associated with using. This helped me create a bit of distance between the "Drunk" me and the "sober" me. My true friends supported me and helped me get my life back on track. Excercise, meetings and Volunteering (helping others) really helped me stay out of my head and helped me gain a upper hand. I am in control of my decision to use or not, I do not give up my power of making decisions and let a substance control me.
We do not have control over so much in life, but we certainly do have control over one thing, if we decide to pick up a bottle, a Pipe or a bag of coke. That we are in control of. The decision to use. The choice is ours, do we do what needs to be done to stay clean and sober, or do we continue to fall back into the same trap of using, feeling guilty and then using, like a washing machine stuck on a infinite cycle. By posting and staying sober for these last few days, you have the opportunity to get off this merrygoround of drugs and alcohol, the choice is ours though as far as us following through with doing what we need to do to stay clean, physically and mentally.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, ill be glad when i can sleep properly and this itching stops. Not long but at least my head is a little clearer.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Make yourself at home Mavrick

Yes, I remember not being able to sleep also...and that itch. It will subside..ride it out. Glad you are feeling the fog lift...that my friend, is hope.

Stay with us...