Notices

One of those days....

Old 01-07-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One of those days....

At work right now and just got screamed at by a customer for about 10 minutes straight....this is the type of thing that just sets me off and already having thoughts in my head about having tossing in the days I have because I feel after that I "deserve" it.....this SUCKS!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there. Breathe. You are'nt going to let some ass---- ruin your life.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by escapist View Post
Hang in there. Breathe. You are'nt going to let some ass---- ruin your life.
Good advice. Don't let a jerk get to you so much that you throw way your days. Its not going to change the jerk and the only thing you wind up doing is hurting yourself more. I have been yelled at MANY days but drinking never did help. I just got yelled at again the next day after drinking with a headache to boot.

Hang in.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Did the customer say any tiny thing, that might make you giggle or smirk or laugh?
Old 01-07-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone...just got home a few mins ago and still teetering feel like going out but just cant ruin this....feeling really alone right now....
Old 01-07-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hang tough brother. I am here with you.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
DFU

You are not alone, believe me!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

SIPD I'm feeling exactly the same way--after a good day.

I don't think it's about what happens during our day. But we both need to get through this.

Neither one of us needs to go out.

How many days do you have?
Old 01-07-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have 8 days today its been one of the tougher days that ive had out of the 8...just keep repeating "just dont drink today" with a few tears thought it would start getting easier then BAM I had a horrible day at work...just makes me think to myself that life should go easy on us in early recovery but who am I kidding just seems like life is just going to get tougher....
Old 01-07-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi SIPD . Customer service can be just awful . I've done it over 20 years...used to end up swilling "special coffee" & knocking back tramadol to tolerate the ********.

Now thankfully that seldom enters my mind and I had a tough Monday, especially morning, at work too. You can get past it. I try to remind myself that everyone is just wanting attention. Wanting some sort of validation. I know it's hard.

Let us know how the day turned out.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Can you try and do a few pushups? A brisk Jog or fast walk. Do you have a set of stairs you can run up? I find this helps me blow off steam. Self Sabotage will only make us feel worse in the long run and it wont do anything to change what the "customer" did to you.

I worked in CS for a long time as well and one thing that helps me deal with these characters is to view them as mentally disabled in some regard. They have issues and do not know how to handle themselves, they yell and scream at people to try and give them some power over others. In reality they are usually pretty troubled and sad individuals that are in serious need of a hug. Sad that you were the brunt end of the stick.

I find that thinking good thoughts for them after the fact, helps make me feel better, as weird as that may sound. I try and write down on a piece of paper, why I am upset, and write down a few reasons on why I think the people acted the way they did towards me. I.E. "I am upset that customer X was yelling at me, it really was hurtful and embarrassing" "Customer X was yelling at me probably because they were really frustrated that there TV has been broken for so long and they probably have lots of other troubles in life going on, this was just the straw that broke the camels back for them. Customer X was yelling at the situation and took it out on me but it really is not about me, I know I am a hard worker and work hard to help people, I hope that Customer X feels better and that things get better for them. "

Writing out a scenario like this, really helps me, perhaps it will help you as well.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Im sry your having a bad day but what you deserve is to be sobor, best thing you can do for yourself.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

SIPD - If you caved, the temporary feeling of relief would not be worth it! Tomorrow you'd be so disappointed in yourself for giving in. You aren't alone, we're all with you. Nothing will be made better by numbing yourself.

This too shall pass - tomorrow will come, and you'll still be sober. The person who yelled at you? They'll still be a jerk. You are the bigger person.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

SIPD, knock it off.
I need you to stick with me.

Who said life was gonna get easier?
I think we should expect this to be very uncomfortable.
Remember when you made the decision to give up the booze?
Were you not in extreme discomfort THEN?
Of course you were.

My day sucked too - and I'd be lyin if I said I didn't want to drink.
You know, like a "reward" around midnight when I'm done working.
I'm not drinking.

I hope you're not either.
You are NOT alone.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have been inside all night I am making the decision to just not drink today...watching the bcs discover bowl....thank you all so much I hope everyone has had a nice night of sobriety
Old 01-07-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Yes!!!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very, very happy to hear this!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I can totally relate SIPD! Some days are definitely a struggle. But if I hold on, I need you to hold on too! I REALLY need you to be with me.

I'm on Day 40 and life has been crapping on me since I got sober. Drinking cost me my job and my dignity. But I'm doing my best to hang on to the one thing that gives me a great sense of accomplishment: my sobriety.

Close your eyes in a while and get some sleep. I'm going to do the same. Tomorrow we'll both wake and put our faith toward a better day!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Way to go SPID. That game is a joke by the way. 1 day at a time. As for me, just chillin having glass of milk and a couple of home made cookies. We can do this my friend.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SIPD View Post
just makes me think to myself that life should go easy on us in early recovery but who am I kidding just seems like life is just going to get tougher....
Life isn't going to change...Whether we drink through it or not is the only thing that's going to change. Early recovery for me was going to a meeting and dumping stuff like that with people that understood what I was going through...And after I listened to them for awhile...My problems didn't seem that bad. What are you doing for your recovery?