Notices

Being sober really does suck....

Old 01-01-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yeah when I think about the mayhem that went on in Glasgow city centre last night I'm glad I didn't go out an get drunk. SIPD keep on the sober wagon, don't end up like the people in the pictures
Old 01-01-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Being sober does suck sometimes. But look on the bright side: It could always suck worse. A lot worse. At least you have a job to go to today. Many people out there can't say that. And at least you ARE sober. Many people can't say that either.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Sometimes life in general sucks. I'm always surprised at how some people expect life to be good all the time. Life has an ebb and flow...there is something to appreciate about both. Yin/yang...there is no up without down.

Being a non-drinker doesn't suck for me at all. I've accomplished far more and grown it ways not possible because I eliminated alcohol. But I will say this...being ambivalent sucks. Not fully embracing a life without booze can leave one in a sort of weird grey limbo.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
LDT

^^^ Ditto!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
Google the daily mail or the sun - British newspapers.
Have a look at the pictures of the drunk people on the front.
I think I missed nothing.
If I can work out how to do a link I will.
I saw the Mail earlier-it's awful.We missed nothing but embarrassment and shame
Old 01-01-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

SIPD, it does get better. Your brain is adjusting to being sober as well, especially in the early stages so it's going to be strange.

Keep one foot in front of the other, and find something to help remind you why you chose to be sober (recovery program, coming here, other things to do). It eases up the more sobriety time you have and you start to appreciate it, don't cave in.

And another reminder of what being drunk can do..My niece broke her hand last night from punching someone (who she seems to think deserved it). She might need an op to repair her hand. It makes me sad as I don't think she realises she needs to stop drinking all together. Her dad also broke his hand punching a wall on new year's even a few year's back (when drunk). My family has issues with drink. Being sober is far preferable to any of that.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Everything sucked when I first got sober SIPD. It wasn't so much that I wanted to drink but just I was really really angry. And I had those thoughts of 'what's the point of staying sober if life isn't gonna be perfect'. The slightest thing would p;ss me off. I would have those f**k it moments but there was nothing I could do about it because I'd committed to not drinking. Stick with it, it will get better. But I second Stepping's suggestion. Look into something to help, don't try and do it alone x
Old 01-01-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I was at a small get together the other night. I was 1 of 5 people and the only one not drinking. I felt very out of place at first, but I adjusted as the night went on. By 10:30p, I was the only one not yawning and my friend who had a few beers was really embarrassing himself.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I have just spent my first New Year's Eve in bed by 11:30pm - I could hear people partying until gone 12am outside my window, screaming and shouting. I am not going to become smug because I don't believe that's the right way to be. But I woke up this morning feeling good, it felt nice. I went out for lunch with friends who had been out partying all night and looked and felt rough! They don't have a problem with drink like someone like me but it was a reminder of what it feels like to feel crap.

We all have a choice in life, you can chose to go and take that first drink but you know how you'll feel the next day. It's not an easy and the pull is there, reminding you how good it would feel but imagine how better it will feel knowing you took the first step NOT to drink!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
High on Life

At times being sober does suck, but being drunk sucked a whole lot more. There is actually a book about that. You will have to learn to fill the void of not drinking with something and then it won't suck as much.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Uk is on a downward spiral, alcoHELL is really out of control.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Think how miserable you would have felt waking up hungover and having to be at work at 8:00!
Old 01-01-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sazzle View Post
'Being sober is hard. Being a drunk is hard. Pick your hard.'

Sorry to hear you are struggling a little with the AV. My moods are all over the place, but I'm focusing on the future as I'm only 2 months in.

It does suck that you are working on New Year's Day though. That's a toughie. Plan something nice for after work and treat yourself for having a sober NYE. I also went to be before the bongs!

S x
I agree. About 2 weeks behind you, and a very long drinking history, to boot.
Bad days don't just disintegrate completely, they feel different, and when they do occur, are a hell of a lot better than the self inflicted variety.
Alc free 42 Benzo free 43
Old 01-01-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I am reading a good book called Change Your Thinking with CBT. One key takeaway for me is that life throws up challenges, life is never going to be easy, rather than focussing on the problem (of which you often have no control) focus on accepting that it is that way and move on. It's hard for me to sum up in one sentence but after reading this book it's really helped me look at life from a realistic perspective.

I am trying to not be such a "victim" which often led me to drink...poor me, I am so lonely, poor me I have to get up for work tomorrow...blah blah blah! Often I would use drink as a way to escape all of this. Actually I do have a choice, if I hate my job that bad I can change it, if I hate feeling lonely I can go out and meet new people. We are all in control of our destiny. It can seem hard through what seems like an inescapable haze of alcohol or drug abuse but we have a wealth of people here who are all routing for one another. That support is so valuable and something I know will help me to keep on the straight an narrow!
Old 01-01-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Xune View Post
...a lot of those people will see it as a badge of honour.

That's what's sad.
Originally Posted by BritishGent View Post
I am reading a good book called Change Your Thinking with CBT. One key takeaway for me is that life throws up challenges, life is never going to be easy, rather than focussing on the problem (of which you often have no control) focus on accepting that it is that way and move on. It's hard for me to sum up in one sentence but after reading this book it's really helped me look at life from a realistic perspective.

I am trying to not be such a "victim" which often led me to drink...poor me, I am so lonely, poor me I have to get up for work tomorrow...blah blah blah! Often I would use drink as a way to escape all of this. Actually I do have a choice, if I hate my job that bad I can change it, if I hate feeling lonely I can go out and meet new people. We are all in control of our destiny. It can seem hard through what seems like an inescapable haze of alcohol or drug abuse but we have a wealth of people here who are all routing for one another. That support is so valuable and something I know will help me to keep on the straight an narrow!
That sounds like a great book, will need to add it to my reading list.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

The drive home was a little tough....I wanted to turn right into the liquor store parking lot after work, but I managed to steer straight....idk how I did it, so many of you reminded me about how horrible I would feel in the morning....I guess I kept hearing that in my mind....now I sit here drowning my sorrows over a Wendy's Chocolate Frosty....another thing I really dont need....
Old 01-01-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Just think how many calories you would consume in an evening of drinking...then all the crap you'd eat the next day! Enjoy your Wendy's Chocolate Frosty and pat yourself on the back for doing so well
Old 01-01-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

What are your sorrows SIPD? Maybe it'd help to get some stuff off your chest... x
Old 01-01-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I went next door last night and a girl there was doing shots of patron and was way done by 10pm, first I was like, "I couldn't do that in my drinking days" and felt like a light weight! Then I was glad I NEVER drank like that and was happy to be sober and guess what?? I had a great time!
Old 01-01-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Mmmmmm Chocolate Frosty :-P sure ya need it, SIPD. But you need another hangover about as bad as ya need another hole in your head Frosty's are YUMMY and FUN and make you happy...not hungover. Keep going SIPD Glad ya made it home without booze! You should be proud of yourself.
That chic in the red dress should be enough to keep ya away for awhile She's been making me cringe all day Sure she's doing a lot more than cringing and enjoying frosties today