Notices

What Is A Recovery Plan?

Old 12-26-2012, 11:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What Is A Recovery Plan?

I keep reading about recovery plans, and I don't Really know what they are. I don't have one, and am just taking one day at a time and not drinking. Will be a few difficult spots up ahead. Should I make a plan? If so what do I do?
Thanks in anticipation etc.....
Old 12-26-2012, 11:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hey Will,

Everyones 'recovery plan' is different. It could be as simple as just not drinking or using. Or it could be a well thought out plan designed over a period of time. I don't make plans. I just take it daily. If I start thinking about plans it sets my head off.

Natom.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went for years saying I was going to quit...Many times....and got nowhere fast. When I reached the point I either lived or died and ended up in rehab...They gave me a recovery plan. For me it was reading and studying the Big Book of AA...Going to 90 meetings in 90 days...Getting a sponsor to work the program with...To guide me through the 12 steps. I followed it and a year and a half later...It's working. For me...It's the only thing that ever did. There are other ways to do it...First thing on your plan should be to research them...And then take the action necessary to make it work. Maybe you can just say I'm not going to drink anymore and that's enough....I had no luck with that.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Will, i read through your previous posts. Congrats on stopping and getting through Xmas.
Why not speak with your current counselor? Ask them for help.
Everyone is different, and your own plan can be anything that works for you, simple or as involved as you need to have it.
I never had a big plan either, (i have a lot going on in my personal life, i focus on being able to concentrate at work, help family, enjoy them), i just come here, connect with others and don't drink. I do find gratitude to help, i find it one of the best parts of sobriety.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Hi Will!

a recovery plan is whatever an individual is doing to support and maintain their recovery. Some people use a formal plan, like a 12 step, SMART recovery, AVRT, or something in a self help book. Others create their own personalized version or create one with the help of a therapist.

Others play it day by day. The important thing is that we find something that works for us. Many of us try a variety of approaches until we find one that fits us and works for us.

Many of us found out what does work for us by trial and error. What kept us sane and sober when life got tricky? What do we do instead of drinking/using when one of our triggers hits us head on? This community, SR is a HUGE part of my program.

Staying active here, communicating with others in recovery, reading about people's experiences and sharing my own helps keep me honest, on track and in the recovery mindset.

I also have other personal practices that I have found useful and essential in me building a life I want to live.

At the heart of it, even if we DO use a formal program developed by others, our recovery program is personal. Only we can decide what we will do to maintain our recovery and how we will handle difficult situations in our lives. Our commitment and strategy is ours alone.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Being new, I'm still "planning" out what I will say to people when they ask my why I'm not drinking. I also try to plan to have a "fun" drink to look forward to...something different (not the same ol' booze that everyone else will be drinking) so it feels special.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

'Not drinking', again, ever, sounds solid to me, you just gotta do it. For me, the penny dropped, the lights came on, I put my Big Boy Pants on, I had flash of understanding, whatever, and I made the vow to stop drinking, NO MATTER WHAT. I have learned a lot of things in the meanwhile, developed new life skills, new ways of dealing with the day, and stuff like that.

However, 'a recovery plan', 'working a recovery plan', or 'a plan of action' are phrases used almost exclusively in the context of Alcoholics Anonymous and include peforming the 12 Steps. I think the underlying idea is that 'recovery' is a long term process.

You don't have to do it that way, Will69. Most people actually quit drinking without a formal program. You can just stop, no matter what, and no matter what anyone tells you. It is very simple - it can be easy or difficult, and that part is completely up to you. Onward!
Old 12-27-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me a recovery plan is just ideas to make sure I am moving forwards. It is easy to slip back into old thought patterns and activities which would lead me back to drinking.

It doesn't have to be a plan associated with AA or any other recovery method, just a plan to make positive changes in your life. I think it's just down to the 'nothing changes if nothing changes' concept.