Notices

Clonezapam withdrawal--OH NO!

Old 12-26-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Clonezapam withdrawal--OH NO!

I'm a 30-year-old woman trying to recover from a serious alcohol addiction (daily pints of vodka for at least a year, moderate-heavy occasional drinking before that), as well as a year-long heroin addiction (daily use---I'm currently taking 8 mg of suboxone). I just got out of a treatment center about a month ago and relapsed on heroin and alcohol the very night of discharge.

Now, I'm seeing a wonderful psychiatrist and have had clean UAs for a month (but have still been drinking). I've been prescribed 1.5 mgs of Cloazepam a day (supposed to space out .5-mg pills). I found it SO difficult not to drink that I had to take more than the prescribed dosage (the only times, actually, that I can remember not drinking are when I've taken at least 4 mgs of clonazepam.

Now, the clonazepam is out of control. I can keep withdrawal symptoms tolerable with 3 mgs at a time (probably 6 mg a day), but still feel some symptoms. The past few days (when I'm not drinking, that is---sometimes I take *no* clonazepam but drink all day) I've taken more than 10 mgs.

I started overdoing it on the Clonazepam (maybe starting w/ 4 mg a day) around 2.5 weeks ago. Only the last few days have I been taking more than, say, 6 mgs. Obviously, I've been buying the pills on the street. In the paast, I've taken benzos recreationally but not for this long or this much.

MY QUESTIONS (and sorry for the long post):
1. Having only been taking all those benzos for a couple weeks, how long and intense is my withdrawal likely to be?
2. I'm seeing my shrink in about a week (maybe I can stretch it to 2). Is there any way I can taper myself back down to amounts even close to 2-3 mgs by then?
3. I get in-office UAs from my doctor. Can she tell the *amount* of benzos I'm taking, or even the type (xanax, temazepam, whatever)---or only that a benzo is in my system?
4. Is there anything that REALLY WORKS that I can do w/out a doctor's help to make withdrawal easier? My main concerns are tremors and insomnia.

PLEASE HELP ME ASAP!!! I'm so scared and despise myself so much.

Thanks so much for any input.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome

We can't give you medical advice here - it's against our rules.

In any case, the best advice I think anyone can give you is to move past your embarrassment, swallow your pride and see a Dr now....get some professional input.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but I really think it's the best advice.

D
Old 12-26-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow.. That is a pretty high dosage... I have been working to get off a much smaller dosage 2mg that was prescribed for sleep/anxiety and it has been a long tedious process (doctor supervised, of course)...

Although I am not a doctor and by no means am I giving medical advise, I know that it can be dangerous to quit benzos "cold turkey". Please consult with your doctor ASAP. He/she will put you on a tapering plan that is safe. Fortunately it sounds like you have only been taking these super high doses for a couple of weeks. Go see your doc before this gets even more out of control than it already is...

You do know your not supposed to drink while taking this medication, yes?

Go see your doc, lay it all out there (as far as EVERYTHING your taking) and come up with a plan if you really want to stop the insanity...
Old 12-26-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

all i know is that i was once prescribed clonapin to help me with some issues i was having and my doctor told me i had to stop drinking with it. i didn't and it only made things worse. the withdrawal for me sucked. i took it for about twice as long as i was taking it for it to feel like it was out of my system. 1 month on, and about 2 months to feel like i got my head back on straight. not that i'm some sort of model of health though
Old 12-26-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

I would definitely go see the Doc. Benzo withdrawal can be especially gruesome. I know firsthand, and wish I had done it with some professional assistance and guidance.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Idiot that picked up a bottle.

You may want to read this link regarding your question.

how long do withdrawl symptoms last with klonopin? ยท Anticonvulsants (Epilepsy prevention drugs) discussions | Therapies & Treatments center | SteadyHealth.com
Old 12-26-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Probably not stuff you wanted to hear graywolf, benzo withdrawals can be nasty and even dangerous. I've had to do it before. Everyone reacts differently though. Be totally honest with the doc. You are not the first person who has had to do this.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I also hope that you will see your dr soon and get medical advice on how to deal with your situation.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Call your Doctor now, leave them a message, have them call you back. Be 100% honest with him/her and ask the Doctor what you should do based on your current situation.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Repeating what otehrs have said, see a Doc as soon as possible.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ok see your dr. you might get that from the posts. two weeks, talk to doc that **** will mess you up. I know. took it for 4yrs, 4mg a day prescribed. Just see your doc and listen to your body. I will never even look at that **** again.
dub
Old 12-26-2012, 08:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You really need to find a doctor versed in bnenzo addiction and detox. Really. And it probably is going to be hard to do, but oh so worth it.

Not a doctor here, but my reading tells me benzo withdrawals is tied to the length of time more than the amount you are taking. I detoxed cold turkey from 20 milligrams of Klonopin a day, the equivalent of 400 milligrams of Valium, and two weeks after cessation ended up in ICU for 10 days. I had been prescribed Klonopin for over a decade, the last two years or so on the mega dosage of 20 milligrams daily.

Not pretty. Protracted withdrawal -- mine lasted well over a year - is more often than not tied to going cold turkey instead of a managed taper plan.
The problem with addicts like me is that tapering just wasn't in the cards. Hell, it would have taken me four years to taper according to the most prevalent wisdom out there from the dosage I was on.

I have no experience with subs and benzo use, but I can tell you that drinking with benzos sets you up for a more difficult withdrawal.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It is important to see a doctor who is well versed in benzodiazepine withdrawal.
There are some who do not seem to understand the dangers of these drugs.
A managed taper geared to your history, including all other meds, is the way to go.
Good luck.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Night owl

I gotta agree, see your doctor asap and tell her everything. That way she can help you with everything you're dealing with. I am doing suboxone for oxy addiction and I've told my doctor every time I've had a slip--even though I've been afraid he might kick me out of the program. Being honest about it is what keeps me in the program. So go for it and get your life back!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey
Good people here. Benzos will whip your ass. Go with dr, IMO tell him/her Im not taking this ****. They are pros. Ive been through this, you dont want or need it, just saying, EXTREMELY addictive. Maybe just tell them what your buds here told you...I would, dr will appreciate that. Sorry for this but I know the deal, your dr knows better.
dub
Old 12-26-2012, 10:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I can only repeat what others have said. Get real honest with your doc. That was a real turning point for me and closing in on a year later I cannot even begin to explain the difference in my life. Real scary to do. The rewards are unbelievable.
best to you
Old 12-27-2012, 04:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Graywolf: You are asking us to give you medical advice. Your second question implies that you want to postpone seeing your psychiatrist for two weeks if you can "stretch" it. Your third question seems to suggest that you may not want your physician to know the amount and type of medication you are taking.
I don't know how the others feel about this but I do not think it appropriate to advise you on these matters for a number of reasons which should be apparent if you think things over a bit. But otherwise, good luck and every good wish to you in coping with this situation. In hopes for a good new year.

W.