Notices

Day 12...whatta journey

Old 12-21-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 12...whatta journey

Well what can I say other than Day 12 has actually arrived clean and sober.
For those of you who remember my desperate post Monday evening December 10th I had said that I was going to quit both the alcohol and the poison thats Xanax. (at the same time COLD TURKEY)(not recommended)
Long story short, the alcohol withdrawls came first because I was finishing off my last few .5mg of xanax so I guess that was still in my system and the booze withdrawls were rough to say the least but I made it a point to stay super hydrated and pushed myself to get on my treadmill and although the first week was hell I got through it.
Now, when I should have been happy I had gotten past the worst of the booze WD's I had to face the real demon.......the Xanax withdrawl.
Yes I did see my doctor about both and she prescribed me another benzo for when my last of the Xanax was gone. I was not in agreement with that so I went back to her and said I would like to bare through it without going from one benzo to the next and returned the Klonopin to her.

Anyways she agreed and gave me some sleeping pills because one of the major withdrawl symptoms of both the alcohol and the Xanax is insomnia and let me tell you that there is nothing worse than being days without sleep, knowing your body is craving it but you can`t yawn and your eyes won`t stay closed no matter how tired you are. I took the sleeping pill one night (tuesday) and was able to get a few hours rest, other than that there really hasnt been any sleep. Its very depressing to see day to turn to night, then to day, then to night and your eyes won`t close.
Fast forward to today........I decided that I would skip the sleeping pill again and try some Advil Night time and well I was able to get 6 hours last night for that I thank GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!
Some of the symptoms of both have left but the Xanax detox road is still ahead of me, yeah the physical symtoms are backing off but my eyes still won`t stay closed and my neck, jaw and back is still sore so it will be a while.
I will learn to deal with it day by day and as a matter of fact I have an appt with my doctor this morning to inquire about a few things.
My point of this message was to in part say thank god this forum was here for me to have been able to vent, read and educate myself on how to get through this rough period and to say that in the first few days I would see someone post just as I have done now saying "Day 12" and I soooooo envied that person for I could not see the 12 days ahead of me but I am here now.
Now I have to maintain the alcohol abstinance through support in one shape or another but I just wanted to say thank you all very much for your support while I begin this journey.............for those who are reading this and you are on Day 1..........keep plugging, Day 12 came and will go, Day 13 tomorrow whether its good or bad, its day 13...........
Old 12-21-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Sounds like you're treating yourself right Camper. I'm happy for you.

It might be a bumpy road at first but oh, what a great journey life is when you're sober.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thats a really encouraging message camperboy. I can only imagine what the withdrawals from both alcohol and xanax would be like but I imagine its been a very hard road. I'm sure you are over the worst of it by now so keeping hanging in there. It can only continue to get better.
Andrew
Old 12-21-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great post, Camperboy. It's good to hear you sounding so positive. Things will get better as you go along.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

That's what I'm talkin about. Nice!