Notices

Sober is good

Old 12-21-2012, 03:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober is good

Hey to all... I am a 23 year old male who has been a alcaholic sense i was 15... For awhile now i've desperately tried to get sober but I always go back to the bottle... And to tell you the truth im not sure HOW to even get sober... For awhile Ive always made a half hearted effort to get clean but after one day its like I dont care no more and I go back to the bottle... One of my best friends has recently died from his substance abuse problems and I fiquar.. its now or never.. if i dont try and get sober now... then when????? My biggest flaw with getting sober is my will power... Like i said for one day is hard but im happy I can restrain myself... but the next day comes and I dont care about getting sober... this is a true issue from within myself... I know theirs nothing that can get me sober if i dont want to be sober... But im tired of playing games and i want to get my life back.... Any advice or tips anybody can give me will be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks to all!
Old 12-21-2012, 03:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

You sound exactly like I was, but I carried on for another 20 years. I have no advice for getting sober, but I can say that it does get worse. You may hold it together for a long time and be functional, but you will probably still be miserable. Your prospects for family, friends and jobs will slowly diminish. Eventually, you will have to pay the piper for all the damage being done to you mind and body. It's no fun at all.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Hey wanna ..... Welcome to SR! I'm glad you found us.

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. That's never easy to deal with.

On the will power deal ..... personally that wasn't near enough for me. I used a combination of SR, therapy, rehab, and AA. I had to give my sobriety a front seat. I tried for along time unsuccessfully and finally realized I wasn't very serious about it. Finally, when I realized that I was going to be one of those people living under a bridge or end up dead or in prison, I got serious.

You'll find a ton of support here.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, I got sober in my teens with the help of Alcoholics Anonymous. It was the best decision I ever made.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

jazzfish is right. It only gets worse. I am doing it with the support of my partner and best friend. Coming clean with the person who loves me and needs me the most was hard to admit, a bit confronting but ultimately very liberating.

If I give in now I'm not just letting myself down buy letting my world down.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks to all for their help and advices so far... I have seen alot of great things on here that I feel I really can build off... SR is a really good place with all the support and stuff... I know im not the only alcaholic their has ever been, But its nice to know people have been in my situation before and are winning their battles!!!! Thanks to all again!