Notices

Structure?

Old 12-20-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Huh?

Structure?

Has anyone found it helpful in recovery to structure your time?

I'm on a break from school, and have no commitments really until next semester starts. Free time is "bad" for me. On the one hand, I hate being structured. But on the other, I know I NEED it.

The problem is, I have a horrible time following my own self-imposed structure. Unless I have work or a class to wake up for, for example, I WON'T wake up at a decent time everyday. I just think "I don't HAVE to wake up..." and then I wake up at noon, and feel like I've wasted the day. Which makes me feel bad and then leads me to drink.

It's like I should've joined the military.....Or like I should have a taskmaster to blow a bugle in my ear at 7am everyday...

Thoughts?
Old 12-20-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Why don't you try to volunteer in the morning somewhere? Keeping busy helped me a lot when I first got sober.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Free times bad for all of us. I had to structure hardcore. I made lists and everything. Because when I am left at home alone with just my thoughts it is like being behind enemy lines.

Natom.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

+1 on the Volunteering.

It's a great way to spend some time. meaningfully...it's a reason to get up out of bed...gets you out of your own head....and you help others

D
Old 12-20-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Structure is good, but relaxing is also good. Take it from me, you don't want to burn yourself out whilst trying to stay sober. I'm not saying be lazy either, but time to yourself can be beneficial under the right circumstances.

If you start feeling tight, find something..........anything to do that doesn't involve drugs or alcohol.