Notices

Day 4 Today - Holidays Approaching - Really Worried!

Old 12-20-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Keeping My Eye On The Prize

Day 4 Today - Holidays Approaching - Really Worried!

Hi All, decided to add this site to my tools to keep myself clean and sober, I need all the help I can get. Struggling with relationship breakup issues and now Christmas is almost here. I attend AA regularly and have a sponsor, but the craving to drinks gets stronger and stronger it seems, and losing the love of my life (due to my drinking of course) does not help.

Any suggestions to getting through the next 2 big holidays clean and sober. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-20-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Work the program of recovery in AA---the12 steps! And do them soon!!
Old 12-20-2012, 05:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Pray in the morning for a day of sobriety. That the obsession and compulsion be lifted from you for this day. In early soberiety I could not handle being around alcohol So I would avoid wet situations. Read the big book as it addresses trying to control people places and thngs. Go to lots of meetings, talk to your sponsor or others in AA at least daily. Remember it is the first drink that kills you not the last. Stay active as idle hands are a devils workshop.

Take it a day at a time or if necessary a minute at a time.

Have a great and sober holiday
Old 12-20-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Seek to do God's will. Go into the holidays with the attitude of "What can I do to be of service?" There is a beautiful prayer in How it Works around the fear inventory. "God please remove my fears and direct my attention to what you would have me be." Try using that.
Stay in contact with your sponsor or other AAs.
Wherever you are at with your step work, do not let up on your efforts. In fact if you are feeling uncomfortable it is best to double you efforts with your step work.
Try to enjoy yourself! We get sober to enjoy life. Thats what God wants.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Alohaguy, Firstly well done for your progress this far!

I found my first Christmas sober to be so so hard, I avoided situations where I was likely to drink and remember feeling pleased and proud that I had actually seen and remembered a Christmas morning for the first time in years, it was a revelation to me. I filled the time getting lost in books and trying to get to know myself again. Talking to others who understand either in meetings or on here to coach you along will help you stay focused too, I didn't do that but so wish that I had now as I know it would have lessened the struggle. That was seven years ago now and although it was tough, it was well worth the struggle. However as a very wise person told me on here, be it 4 days or seven years you're still not drinking so be proud of that and keep up the good work my friend.

Take care :ghug3
Old 12-20-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi Alohaguy,

Congrats on giving up in the holiday season.

In these early days I'd recommend avoiding places where people are drinking. That might mean you have to be a bit antisocial at this time, but you can always tell people you'll catch up with them in the new year.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there. You can do it. I am the spouse of a recovering addict, and the holidays are stressing me out too. We have avoided stressful situations where there is alcohol. Family members have gotten upset, but too bad. Your recovery has to come first. If they don't support you, move on.

Also, remember that when one door closes another one opens. You will find love again. Maybe a better type of sober love!
Old 12-20-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Im on day 4 and dreading the hols too. Am gonna keep a super low profile but feeling a bit fed up today :-(
Old 12-20-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Aloha,

First, congratulations on four days, that means you will be past those first few miserable days when the holidays arrive. I am sorry about your relationship, that definitely adds more pressure, but you are sober right now and that is for you. I know many people on this site use AA for recovery, and you mentioned you have gone to a few meetings. Although I am not using AA as a recovery method I know they have lots of meetings during and on the holidays.

Do you have any family or friends close by that you will be spending time with over the holidays? If so, would they be a good support for you?

Also, stick close to SR, anytime you are feeling anxious, upset or thinking about drinking log on and you will find someone on here.

I will be thinking about you and sending hugs.:ghug3
Old 12-20-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am on my fourth day and last night I really wanted to walk 30 seconds to the 7/11 to get a case and start celebrating the holidays. What helps me is a list of reasons why alcohol is a fraud that I keep in my head and on my fridge. Some reasons I came up with not to drink:
1. It damages your liver and brain.
2. It steals hard-earned money out of my pocket, which means I'll only have to work more in the future to recover the money spent.
3. It kills and injures thousands of people needlessly every year.
4. It is only empty calories and makes you fat.
5. Hangovers, hangovers, hangovers!

I think others could probably add a lot more to my list. It has so far been helping me to distance myself from a drinker's mentality.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Go to Meeting

I think you guys should attend AA meetings throughout the holidays. I also highly recommend finding a sponsor. That will give you the support you need.