Notices

First attempt at sobriety

Old 12-18-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First attempt at sobriety

Hi, I already posted today, but I would like to post again. I hope that is ok.

I have been struggling with drugs and alcohol for 18 years. Through my teens and twenties I thought it was fun and cool, not a problem. However I am now in my early thirties. My constant out of control binge drinking ruined my reputation in graduate school, contributed to losing my job, and destroyed a relationship (the job and relationship in the past two weeks). Not to mention preventing me from really knowing and loving myself.

This is my first attempt at sobriety. Because I have been drinking for so long it almost feels normal. Today the denial crept in. I am hoping I can stay strong and successfully battle this denial as I move forward.

This forum is the first step I took toward finding support. I am also seeking out support groups in my neighborhood so I can participate face-to-face with others. I would love to go to a substance abuse therapist but the no job thing makes that kind of difficult.

I'm not sure what else to say. Thanks for listening.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I too am in my early thirties and am very new to living a sober lifestyle. Although I was skeptical about AA, it really has helped me. I have been going once a week and I feel refreshed after leaving the meetings. It really takes my mind off of drinking and gets me in a new headspace for sobriety. Are you opposed to giving AA a try?
Old 12-18-2012, 08:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know how you feel CNH. I too am in my early 30's and cannot imagine life without a glass of wine in my hand.
I found this forum about a week ago and have been living on here ever since. But I have not stopped drinking as yet. I guess I am telling myself that a week or two before Xmas is just setting myself up for failure. So my plan is to mentally prepare for the dry date of 1/1/13, read my newly purchased Allen Carr book, post on here, listen to my hypnotherapy apps and stop drinking 2 weeks. FOR GOOD!!
This will be my first real attempt at sobriety. So good luck to us both and keep posting.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi DNVR,

I am hesitant to go because I am not sure it would be a good fit for me, partially because I was hoping I could find a support group for young adults. Perhaps that is me being narrow minded? I am also hesitant because of the religious aspect; I'm not sure that would be a good fit for me either. But I have been advised to go to a few different AA meetings to see if one might be a good fit and I am inclined to follow this advice. Did you find the first group you went to was a good fit?
Old 12-18-2012, 10:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

if age is a concern, you may want to look into YPAA( young people AA).
YPAA.INFO = Young People in AA Meeting List

theres a few meetings i the chicago area.

i am sure people will post to say AA is religious, but it isnt.please dont let it scare you away from it. it is strictly spiritual and based on a higher power of your own design.

i would highly suggest lookin into it before writing it off.

i've been to a few AA round ups where YPAA members had a good crowd. they are some fun lovin, hootin and hollerin, crazy sober individuals.

you may want to check out the big book online until you can get to a meeting.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

D104- HI! Thanks for reaching out. I love wine too; last night I kept thinking, "why can't I have a glass of wine?" Then, "oh yeah..." So I posted on here, and read others, and it helped.

I listened to hypnotherapy recordings in the past, maybe I'll look into it again. Thanks!

I wish you the best on your journey!

tomsteve-thanks for the link. I am headed back to my hometown for the next 10 days but when I get back I am going to check out a meeting. I will keep an open mind. I just need to stay on track...