Notices

I drank again after 6 years of sobriety and ruined my life.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Idiot that picked up a bottle.

Originally Posted by betterthanbefor View Post
It's not too late to turn things around! My husband was arrested twice for drinking & his company never found out. They only find out those things if they do a background check. My husband was also on probation for 1 yr & he never told his company so hopefully you won't have any problem w/your job (unless you start drinking again). I hope you can work it out w/your wife. Maybe you can figure out ways to remind her of why she fell in love with you? Divorce is a HUGE thing, so maybe you can at least try therapy before it gets to that point? Best of luck!
I would love to be able to talk to my wife to see if we could try to fix it. The thing is that there is a injunction and I cannot contact or communicate with her in any way shape or form. I already went to jail once for breaking the injunction by leaving her a 30 second voice mail. She is not interested in speaking with me. I will miss her and always love her but have to accept that its over. Its all very sad really.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I can totally relate to your situation. Read the only thread I have started here and you will see why. I was sober and happy with my fiance one minute, then I picked up that damn bottle again after 5 months clean and like you, KABOOM! My biggest problem with the no-contact order is that you cannot apologize or try to make amends. I accept that I lost her, I screwed that up, but I just want to say I'm sorry. Can't though, or I face a felony and 5 years in prison.

I too feel quite hopeless. I did make an AA meeting tonight and it helped a bunch. My legal troubles aren't going away because of AA, but at least no one will judge me there. Stay away from that bottle or you just might call her again in a blackout. Good luck my friend. PM me if you need to chat.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hope that you can get through it all, hang in there.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Ghostman,

Thankyou for posting, it reminds us all how alcohol can bring on a heap of trouble.
Keep posting and a meeting would bea good idea.

Take Care
CaiHong
Old 12-19-2012, 09:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
GWH

Don't worry about that public defender, ghost. They're real lawyers that put their names on the register and get assigned cases for people who go that route. Most if them do it on the side and most of them know everyone in the room because they've been doing it a long time. It also is a way for attorneys to fulfill professional rules of conduct requirements. Those guys/gals are in the trenches and have likely seen it all.

You will be okay. And besides, you can always fire him/her.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Wow ghostman thanks for sharing your story. I've been through a very similar situation myself and I feel your pain man. The tough part is realizing that things will get better if you don't drink. Drinking today is such a short term fix, a couple hours in which you might feel "numb". It will be followed by feeling awful not to mention all the bad things that can happen. I visited this cycle for many many years. That being said, things WILL get better if you don't drink. I have yet to meet someone that regrets NOT drinking. AA and SR are great places to receive support of others that understand what you are going through. I hope to hear more from you on here!

As far as the restraining order goes... don't mess with it. Don't try to contact her even with a text. Take this time to try to fix the things that caused you to act out and also give her some time and you may see that things work themselves out in the end. Take care my friend!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Welcome Ghostman,

I am sorry you are having a tough time right now, good for you for not drinking to mask the issues.

You will find tons of support on here 24/7, read and post lots and keep us posted on how you are doing.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Im hanging out with a sober ex GF today. I hope its not a mistake as she still has a major thing for me but I am not interested in anything but friendship. Hopefully hanging out with her today will keep me from drinking. I pray to God it does anyway.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:52 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

That story does suck but in my travels I have heard some terrible stories. It is hard to see now but things will get better. You have much to be grateful for. The only thing that could make it much worse is to drink again. You cannot fix everything today!! You can stay sober today and begin to slowly turn things around. If it helps at all, you have helped me today. I must remain vigilant about my sobriety because alcohol is just waiting for me when I am weakest. Hang in there.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thinking of you during these tough times!! You're in my thoughts and prayers!! I hope everything works out for you!!
Old 12-20-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
~sb

why not get to an AA meeting and hang with the men?
Old 12-20-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Ghost....you took a step in the right direction by coming here and sharing your situation. Although you may not realize it, there are those in recovery that always need to hear the things that happen when we decide to 'go back out'. Going to a meeting and sharing that will help others. And the meeting(s) will help you stay on track. Yes, it sucks that all this has happened...we can't go back and change that, but we can change in hopes of a better life. Maybe when you have some time and settle down, that message will get to your wife and maybe some mending can occur. You never know..Hang in there, prayers are with you...
Old 12-20-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Sorry to read that ghost, on the flip side whatever happened to for better or worse I mean if you got drunk once and said some nasty things once I think it's very very harshe, I bet if the boot was on the other foot you would forgive!!!

Anyways everything happens for a reason stay sober and rebuild your life!!! God bless...
Old 12-20-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I had to run back to where I am staying and found a pint of the rum I tried to off myself with under a couch cushion. Wow was it ever tempting to drink it. After staring at it for a few minutes I poured it out in the sink. Damn this is scary stuff.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you poured that out ghostman.

D
Old 12-20-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Good job on the pouring. Excellent. ... I am such a cheapskate at heart - lol - and doing that always made me miss the $ I spent on it .. until I reminded myself that those $ down the drain are way better spent than down my throat.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I'd personally check my motives for meeting up with an ex. I needed to make it 100% clear that the relationship with my most recent ex was not going to pick up and take off again-he was running off false hope that we were possibly going to get back together and although *I* knew that was the case, he certainly didn't for awhile.

Proceed with caution!

Xx
Old 12-20-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Quinne View Post
I'd personally check my motives for meeting up with an ex. I needed to make it 100% clear that the relationship with my most recent ex was not going to pick up and take off again-he was running off false hope that we were possibly going to get back together and although *I* knew that was the case, he certainly didn't for awhile.

Proceed with caution!

Xx
Well she has been sober for 30 years and I knew there would be no boozing around her. Also she needed a ride to a doctors appointment which was drama in itself. The doctor decided she needed to be hospitalized because of some blood sugar thing and they took her by ambulance while I followed in the car. They only kept her for about three hours though before they got things stabilized. Whew.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

After sitting here alone for the last few hours I decided to make a YouTube video regarding my predicament and put it on my channel. It does not say much except for don't do it again if you stopped and stop if you haven't.

If you have a problem with alcohol quit! If you quit, NEVER start again! - YouTube
Old 12-20-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

How did your AA meeting go today ?? ......