Notices

some good night time drink suggestions

Old 12-16-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

some good night time drink suggestions

Hello, I have recently (mid March) quit drinking all coffee and tea but feel now that I am finding myself in dire need of a sleep aid. Can someone please recommend a sure fire night time before bed hot drink that might help with sleep and relaxation?
I have tried all the grocery brand 'sleepy time" teas while I was still drinking tea and coffee but nothing seemed to work back then.........any suggestions?
I have a "goodness me" health food store in my area if that helps.
Thanks for everything
Old 12-16-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

caffeine or decaf drinks never worked for me before bed. 2% milk works for me CB. Just me.
Dub
Old 12-16-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Anything with melatonin in it might help you. There are multiple sleep time teas out there too.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Try a tea with valerian in it - knock you out :-)
Old 12-16-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dedubya View Post
caffeine or decaf drinks never worked for me before bed. 2% milk works for me CB. Just me.
Dub
SEE DUBS..............I think you are feeling a titch better now ...are you?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rainyengland View Post
Try a tea with valerian in it - knock you out :-)
I will look for that thank you.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Camperboy View Post
I will look for that thank you.
I laughed at that..yes the panic attk went on vacation for now.
D
Old 12-16-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Melatonin makes me feel horrible in the morning...borderline hangoverish. Do a quick search on the effects of melatonin on your sleep cycle first. Those articles really alarmed me after reading them.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My issues with Melatonin, Valerian and the OTC sleep aids etc. was that I only tried using them when coming off a bender to try and overcome the insomnia. But usually my withdrawl was way more powerful and I couldn't overcome it, and I would wind up with an insanely dryed out mouth while rolling around trying to sleep and for all of the next day. But that was me, can't say what level of success others may have with them.

My best bet was mentally overcoming the nausea and getting a decent, solid meal in me with as much milk as I could handle (warm or otherwise). Othertimes I will have the regular version of hot Neo-Citran (the drowsy version), and that can work too.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gonzo4419 View Post
My issues with Melatonin, Valerian and the OTC sleep aids etc. was that I only tried using them when coming off a bender to try and overcome the insomnia. But usually my withdrawl was way more powerful and I couldn't overcome it, and I would wind up with an insanely dryed out mouth while rolling around trying to sleep and for all of the next day. But that was me, can't say what level of success others may have with them.

My best bet was mentally overcoming the nausea and getting a decent, solid meal in me with as much milk as I could handle (warm or otherwise). Othertimes I will have the regular version of hot Neo-Citran (the drowsy version), and that can work too.
I seem to have the opposite reaction to Neo Citron, for some reason I lay in bed in an almost foggy state and my legs just twitch and I never had any luck actually sleeping after taking it.............benedryl did the same.....strange
Old 12-16-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's how I would describe the melatonin etc for myself, would lay there feeling like you are right at the point that you'll really about to get to sleep, but then I wouldn't and that would be even more frustrating, the restless legs I always just chalked up to the fact I probably hadnt been eating properly and was having a minor deficiency of something.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hot chocolate. I make mine with milk and ovaltine. I top it with whipped cream. De-lish.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

a small turkey sandwich and some not so cold milk for the natural tryptophan......