Notices

Hello, day 2 for me

Old 12-12-2012, 02:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, day 2 for me

I've been trying to give up drinking for 10 years. I've been a heavy drinker for nearly 30. I'm a daily drinker and I would class myself as a functioning alcocholic.
I stopped drinking Monday night and haven't touched a drop since.
I slept not too badly but cannot stop shaking today.
I work in a bar and this has added to my drinking as all my friends are heavy drinkers. I'm looking to finish there in the new year.cant do atm.
I used to have a bottle of wine in the evenings only, then that progressed to cans also.Then for the past 5 years or so, I went on to vodka.
Money worries drove me to start drinking from waking and sipping all through the day and more at night.
I'm spending all my wages on drink to be honest. My hubby works too, and he also drinks, but not like me.
I can't go to detox and im now scared at what i have read on here about the dangers of going alone.I thought id just need willpower. Is there anything I can take not from the doctor?
Have to get ready for work soon, any advise welome x
Old 12-12-2012, 02:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I used to bartend, too, v. hope you can make it thru.....the more i read about detoxing alone the more i want to tell you to check in..

if it gets bad, just bite the bullet & go in. they can't refuse you and then you will have commited to getting sober besides being safer in general

best to you...
Old 12-12-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR vodkavitim

I think you'd be better of just speaking to your doctor, if only to put your mind at ease. If you start feeling really bad just don't hesitate to go to the ER/A&E. Try not to worry too much though. My doc just checked me over and said I wasn't actively withdrawing and gave me some vitamins. x
Old 12-13-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'd check with the dr. too.
I tried to quit for many years, so you're not alone there. It can be done.
Welcome to the forums, and post as often as you like.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

First of all, congrats on you sober time. That's great!

Since it can be dangerous detoxing from alcohol, I can only recommend that you see a doctor. Whatever you do, if it gets bad, do not hesitate to call emergency.

I'm not familiar with things that can be taken to help. I detoxed with the help of doctors. We're not allowed to give any medical advice around here ..... is there a medical help line you could call to get some advice? Many communities around the world offer free services.