Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

What's your new addiction? (sorry for the relentless posting!)

Notices

What's your new addiction? (sorry for the relentless posting!)

Old 12-10-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My hair is also better behaved now I'm sober! My obsession is my skin care routine, morning and night. Not only dues my skin look better since quitting in general but I no longer pass out with my make up still on most nights. I treated myself to a £120 Elemis kit and I do my morning soul intentions and evening gratitudes whilst applying what feeks like a million products!

Great thread!

S x
Old 12-10-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wow, nobody has admitted they are addicted to AA meetings yet?
I have not found my new addiction yet. But for sure I am an all or nothing person. I go through phases when I do something all the time, like oil painting, or knitting. Then I just as abruptly drop it and move on to something else. Wow, maybe my wine-drinking habit was just an obsession that I dropped like I drop other hobbies. I can only hope
Old 12-10-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Shopping, looking at any type of vehicle...obsessively, women, the internet, caffiene, recovery. Not in that order. I'd rather be addicted to the following than my drug of choice though.

Natom.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

anything i do obsessively or in an addictive nature is not good. if/when i do that, i am blocking out the real problems. i need balance.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I am basically just trying to hang on, I read hang out with my kids, spend time on here, honestly nothing has changed since I quit drinking, well I am a bit grumpier. It will get better, at least thats what I hear!
Old 12-10-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I enjoy the uplifting posts here, love my chocolate and reading on my little kindle.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Doing pushups and squats and cleaning mostly...
Old 12-10-2012, 11:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Running, working out and eating good food.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:22 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Reading to my daughter, 7, with patience and animation - just finished Harry Potter1.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:03 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Kettle cooked potato chips, nail polish, and reading so far.

I wish cleaning and organization were up there.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:51 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Night owl

Hoping to get some more "good addictions" going with time. For now I've been eating lots more chocolate, being on SR, and, weirdly, chewing gum obsessively. I've always liked gum but I'm chewing mounds of the stuff!

Good thread!
Old 12-11-2012, 04:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
anything i do obsessively or in an addictive nature is not good. if/when i do that, i am blocking out the real problems. i need balance.
Nah, I'm obsessive and always have been. I just direct that into studies, my work and my hair! I love being completely engaged in an activity. I'm currently doing statistical analysis deconstruction for an assignment and I feel like I could explode with happiness and energy about it!

Don't get me wrong, I can do chilled out too, and I make time to relax. But what is life for if not living? Being sober only broadens my physical and intellectual horizons, so I'd be silly not to immerse myself in that which I find healthy, progressive and satisfying.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lyoness View Post
Hoping to get some more "good addictions" going with time. For now I've been eating lots more chocolate, being on SR, and, weirdly, chewing gum obsessively. I've always liked gum but I'm chewing mounds of the stuff!

Good thread!
I chewed gum for the first couple of days, but alas it gave me gas pains and made me fart! Hahahah.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:12 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My new addiction is cashews! I'll eat them to the point of giving myself a stomach ache. But I can't be arrested for driving under the influence of cashews! And they won't cause my kids to not trust me.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:14 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bloss View Post
I enjoy the uplifting posts here, love my chocolate and reading on my little kindle.
I've been eating loads to try and get my weight up ... I look like Skeletor. Anyway it's not working and I've lost 5lbs since quitting booze and now have upgraded to drinking half-pints of whole milk with each meal!
Old 12-11-2012, 04:15 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberRo View Post
I chewed gum for the first couple of days, but alas it gave me gas pains and made me fart! Hahahah.
That is because of the fake sugar in the "sugar free" gum probably. It will do that to a person. Try Wrigley's or any other kind with real sugar.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by SoberRo View Post
I've been eating loads to try and get my weight up ... I look like Skeletor. Anyway it's not working and I've lost 5lbs since quitting booze and now have upgraded to drinking half-pints of whole milk with each meal!
I lost weight with my addiction, too. I'm trying to eat more and figure this is a good time to eat ice cream--lots of nutritious and delicous calories. Oh yeah!