Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

What's your new addiction? (sorry for the relentless posting!)

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've heard it said by many alcoholics that in order to live sober, an addictive person needs a healthy replacement obsession. I don't know if this is true for everyone, but it sure is for me!

I've become slightly obsessed with my hair, in a good way. I first noticed the joys of hair-fussing when I realised that my hair was allot smoother since quitting drinking - weird huh?! Anyway, I've bought a new £80 professional hair dryer and £110 straighteners since quitting booze (that's how much money I've saved in 12 days! Amazing!) and I lo0o0ove doing my hair in the morning, dancing around to music, excited for the day.

My dad (30 years sober), on the other hand, now studies Neuroscience in a completely obsessive way. He's conducting research for a University and his life revolves around it. He lo0o0oves his labs and his graphs!

Clearly my hair addiction is somewhat less fancy than his academic one, but different strokes for different strokes, yes?!

When I quit smoking (Jan 25th) I'm going to take up swimming and running. I'm also going to obsessively keep on top of my studies next semester.

Sooo ... what have you guys picked up? Anything unexpected?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Weight lifting is my thing. I used to do that alot before I took on my drinking career. LOL!

In general sports will be my thing for sure.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Running and playing guitar.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I always wanted to play guitar. Found it really frustrating when I've tried in the past, usually after a few tins!! But have a nice acoustic knocking around the place so maybe I should give that a whirl.

I have some decent running shoes too ... but man it's cold!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thus far it has been being on here and tea. I have always liked tea but now instead of a cup or two I have four or five.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Reading and exercising. Keeps the mind and body healthy!!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's going to sound crazy, but I have become an organizer/cleaner. I like my house a certain way. I have lists, schedules, etc... in order to make sure it gets done. I never go to bed with a dirty kitchen. lol I also am working on decorating my house as we moved since I got sober and I love making things and making my house a home. It has helped me in my job, as I am a teacher. My classroom is amazing! Order as opposed to chaos...my entire life is in order and I like it that way! As far as something "fun" that has become somewhat of an obsession, I love to bead. I have shelves full of beading stuff that I need to find the time to use up. Maybe I should start making a time management list to add that in. haha
Old 12-10-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Working out more ( did that when drinking but now do it daily rather than every other/third day). And loose leaf tea. That is some good stuff and is fun to brew. Trying to also keep up with juicing but getting fresh produce all the time is difficult.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I find that I have a very addictive personality. I don't know if that is with many alcoholics but it rings true with me. I am an all or nothing person.
I have taken up knitting, have been absolutely obsessed with this site (I thought I was the only one), I cook dinner every single night, I have a ridiculously clean house and very organized. I think these can all be considered my new addiction but I also look at them as replacing the time spent drinking and recovering. There were days and weeks when nothing got done and now I can do it all. It's fantastic!
Old 12-10-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cocoa Krispies. LOL
Old 12-10-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Back reading hardcore, getting back into some online gaming (that I couldn't do while being drunk), and Pepsi/Grape slurpees.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's all about the slurpees, gonzo!

enjoying life sober is enough for me right now...
Old 12-10-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Haha I love reading this stuff. The cleaning thing, I have that too! I've been running around my house like a ferret on speed, making everything glisten! Makes a big change.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Dragging the fat dog round the park every night- I'm cleaning up so are you pooch!!! :-)
Old 12-10-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Rainbow drops and cups of strong tea x
Old 12-10-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The gym...And also eating...Never used to eat when I was drinking....
Old 12-10-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have become obsessed with my house and garden. I have so much more energy at the moment and I have cleaned it from top to bottom. I went to the nursery yesterday and spent all the money I had saved on not drinking on new plants.

I used to be obsessed with health and fitness before the booze took over. i hope to get back to that.

Well done everyone.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Spending quality time with my kiddos, exercise, reading, and based on the number of posts that shows next to my name spending time on SR!!!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Maybe you could train to become a hairstylist...
Old 12-10-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm addicted to being sober.