Notices

Higher Power Signals..stories anyone?

Old 12-10-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Higher Power Signals..stories anyone?

I have only recently begun to find my connection with my higher power. I have been looking to get in touch with my spiritual side for many years but just didn't know where to start or wasn't in tune. For my recovery program, I pray daily. At least twice but sometimes more. As time and sobriety progresses my prayers have become more detailed and specific. For the past month since I have been sober, I have had signs almost daily that there is definitely somthing greater than me that has been listening. I can't describe it to a T, it's something I feel but KNOW, if that makes any sense. This morning I prayed for something specific about a certain someone and lo and behold the answer came within a few hours. In the latter part of this month, I found my higher power leading me to meetings where I need to meet certain people or not letting me get what I want so I can get something even better. If I had read a post like this a few months ago I wouldn't believe this to be possible. I am not trying to sway anyone in anyway whatsoever. I respect all people as human beings, spiritual or not. I was just wondering if anyone had a story they would like to share or if anyone can relate. Feeling very blessed today...hope everyone has a great start to their week
Old 12-10-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

cool thread. I have had many "God shots" in recovery... Let me think of a good example and I'll write about it!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My higher power (God) shows my how great he is on a daily basses . There is no why I would have made it passed day 5 without Gods help. Thanks to his power and grace I have been clean and sober for 47 days now! My higher power also healed my marriage . We I left for detox and treatment, (my choice) she was mad,hurt,bitter,sad, angry, and resentful . Our marriage did not stand a chance. Today we have a better relationship then ever before. Sober life has been great, not easy but great. I could go on and on , but I'll stop there.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OP, you say you pray daily?

To whom or what do you direct your petitions to?
Old 12-10-2012, 07:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Feel grateful for such signs & feelings. I try to look for signs or messages from my 'Higher Power' but often feel abandoned. But then I realize that I did not drink today and that sometimes is enough for me, especially when I struggle with life on a daily basis. 21 months, got thru rehab, jail and still manage to move forward with my recovery as tough as it is at times. That's why I still go to 3 or 4 meetings a week.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

My beloved Golden Retriever (profile picture) was dying of cancer. She was going down hill and I prayed that my higher power would relieve her suffering that day. I received a call from my wife while I was at work that they had rushed her to the vet because she could no longer stand. That day we put her down and her head was in my arms as she passed away.

Having her put down was not what I had in mind as a way to relieve her suffering but as I look at it from 2 years down the road I see it was the best thing. She made the decision for me. There was no agonizing over the when or if she was bad enough. She said, "The time has come." I believe it was a gift from my God.

This sad event was a huge wake up call that my higher power is an active part of my life
Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

MIRecovery, your story gave me goosebumps. So sorry you lost your sweet girl..she looks like she was one playful pup. I am glad you have the good times to look back on. Yup bryan...sometimes it is as simple as that...just with help to stay sober and that's great too! Look forward to hearing from you babyjane!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I think there are signs every day. Sometimes subtle, and those are the ones I miss when I am too involved with my ego. Then other times they are so big, you can't ignore them.

A year ago I lost control of my truck in the rain, crossed three lanes of traffic, and hit a concrete barrier head on. Wasn't hurt.

The tow truck driver told me to get out of the rain and sit in the cab of his truck while he hooked it up.

What was playing on the radio? Sarah McLachlan's "In the Arms of an Angel."

Amen!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can relate with your post 1000%! I have so many of those 'coincidence' stories I've considered writing a book. The most clear instances came in early sobriety, I believe because of the amount of willingness I had at that time to completely and totally let go.

Ill share 2, quickly, as I'm at work and should be doing something else. . They both happened while I was in the rehab.

One night I got a call from my "girlfriend". I had a very codependent girl who took care of me the last year of my drinking. For reasons unknown, she told me she had met and gone to bed with someone. That someone wasn't me. I didn't know what to do with this info. Jealousy, self pity, rage all kicked in big time. I ran to my counselor. Didn't help. I ran to the friends I made in the rehab, didn't help. I was crushed. I didn't want to be alone. I didn't know how to meet women without alcohol. I can't even begin to describe what was racing through my mind. I went to my room and dropped to my knees. I begged for help. I got up and laid on my bed.

About 5 minutes later I was told I had another call. There was one phone in this rehab, and we had privileges for about 3 hours every evening (was before cellphones existed). I got to the phone and was shocked that on the other end was a beautiful girl I had dates years earlier. She had run into a mutual friend she also hadn't seen in years, and asked about me. He told her I was in a rehab, she asked for details, and said she felt compelled to call me. She was happy for me as she knew how much I needed the help, and wanted to talk and maybe get together when I got out.

I was ecstatic, as I had I really liked and missed this girl. I was given exactly what I needed that night. A little bit of ego stroking, and a whole lot of hope. I also started to believe in this god "stuff".

It's too busy at work for me to write about the other incident but I will when I can. Was even more intense for me than the first.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

4/21/05 was my last drunk. 4/22 i was still drunk. 4/23 i went to my 1st AA meeting and then was when i changed my perceprion of an HP. i decided that evening He could do for em what i could not do for myself, that was stop drinking. i asked Him for help. i havent drank since.
i faced a diagnosis of stage 3 metastatic melanoma 13 months in. there i was finally not wantin to die and there i was being told i have a cancer that could kill me! told i would have to have surgery to carve out crap here and there, follow up with possible radiation, that there isnt many options on treament( at that time), would be lookin at clinical trials, and effects of surgeies and treatments will have serious lasting effect,
well, all that was quite a lot to swallow and i was in shock. fear set in. did my best to keep the outcome in my HP's hands. then one night i lost my marbles. i blew up. fit of rage! i was pissed and afraid and **** was flyin in my shop and i was screaming at my HP. there were some pretty harsh words aimed at Him. when i finally ran out of energy, i sat on my stool by my scrollsaw and broke down. i was spent. i surrendered to the idea i was doomed to die from this cancer.
then something came over me. it may have been my HP or it may have been an angel He sent, but i felt comfort. i came out of my shop with a new attitude. i had serenity and peace back.
how do i know it was my HP at work?
i didnt get drunk, havent gotten drunk and am still here 5+ years later.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

just to add:
saw my oncoligist last wednesday. he said,"see ya in 6 months." He still has work for me to do.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

2nd story.

Still in rehab. Playing pool one night. There's a commotion, nurses running around, people running downstairs. I ask whats happening and I'm told someone downstairs is having a heart attack. I finish the game and suggest to the person I was playing with that we go downstairs and see some drama. We do, and as soon as we get to the level below I see my brother walking towards me, crying. I felt like I was on acid. There was no reason for him to be there, we lived a half an hour away. He and my mother had gone to an alanon meeting they were having for the patients families, but I wasn't aware of it. My mother was the person having the heart attack.

They allowed me to go with a counselor to the hospital with her. I held her hand as they wheeled her into emergency and then they told me had to leave. I was again, a mess. The counselor stayed and talked with me for about an hour and then told me to go to bed. And pray. I had no choice, so I did. And I kept on praying. What happened during the prayer I feel could never be understood by anyone other than myself. Something clicked inside of me. I absolutely knew, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that my mother was going to be fine. I don't believe I've ever been more certain of anything in my life. I slept like a baby. They let me sleep late the next day and skip activities. Next day people were surprised at my seeming lack of worry or concern. My mother is still alive and well...28 years later and still counting. . The incident helped turn her life and habits around also.