Notices

Ice cream and sweets to get rid of urge to drink?

Old 12-05-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ice cream and sweets to get rid of urge to drink?

I'm not one that needs a drink everyday, but I do tend to binge often on the weekends. I've noticed something in the past that I'm going to keep trying. If I ever eat ice cream or something else sweet, the urge to drink goes away almost completely.

Has anyone else ever experienced this?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i have read elsewhere that it is very common (although i do not experience that at all). it has something to do with carbs i believe.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
LDT

You cannot imagine how much ice cream and chocolate I ate in my first year of sobriety. I treated myself royally. Of course, I had to step up the exercise to compensate for it, but it was worth it!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm an endurance athlete and train often - when I'm not hung over. Drinking has totally ruined any attempt at maintaining a consistent training schedule. So, the added carbs shouldn't be too big of a deal for me. It's better than drinking, doing something stupid, and not training the next day. I'll opt for the ice cream over the booze!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Guys, I'm only joking a little bit when I say that if it were not for chocolate ice cream I would not be sober today. And I didn't gain an ounce from eating it, because I was NOT drinking booze calories anymore. In fact I had to TRY to keep my weight up when I quit, as I was missing those booze calories plus getting a lot of exercise. Ice cream was almost a necessity!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hehehehe I'm an ice cream monster...Ask anyone In the August 2012 class...I'm eating a litre of it every night without fail.....
Old 12-05-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i never liked ice cream but holy canoolies i sure do now, but a full waist line is better than a foggy head
Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes!!!!
I wasnt born with a sweet tooth but sugar does help with alcohol cravings. But I am sensitive to sugar and have decided to avoid it at all costs, so my naturopathic doctor recommended I take glutamine (its an amino acid) for sugar/alcohol cravings. Holy moly it works for me!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

lol,, it is true,, we crave sugary things to replace the sugars in al,,, if i ate a bar of choccie,, it reduced the cravings,,,
also its better for you and a darn sight cheaper than booze lol
ENJOY PEEPS,,, CHOCCIE AND ICE CREAM ROCKS,,, also so do ,, doghnuts,,, cake bars,, anything cadburys,,,, biccies ,,,, cheeses and crackers,,, freshly made bread smothered in butter,,,, carrot cake ,,,skittles,,,, doghnuts,,,, and MORE DOGHNUTS yayayay
#
Old 12-05-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have fallen into total passionate unrepentant love with Cella's chocolate covered cherries
Old 12-05-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had the same experience at first. My addictions counselor said it is due to the lack of sugars in the body because there is tonnes of sugar in alcohol. I told her it was better to eat cookies then knock back a 40!!
Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

to everyone that is loving the sweets...didn't the sugar keep you awake at night? if i eat anything sweet after 6PM there is no way i'm falling asleep, especially with the anxiety i have from the withdrawals.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I never was a sweets person till I quit. Now I run to keep the pounds off from the extra calories. So far, so good.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am a big sweets person now that I quit. My vice is cotton candy!! I go to the movie theater just to buy it!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I didn't eat many sweets before I gave up drinking, it is definitely a sugar replacement thing and gives you a boost like alcohol would have but without all the negative side effects, well apart from the obesity... I plan to try giving up refined sugars in the new year as I know it doesn't help my mood swings, and I have always felt so much calmer if I eat less carbs.

Oh. and EnderWiggin, chamomile tea seems to help counteract the sugar rush before bed, but if you don't naturally crave sweets I wouldn't bother with them.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have been drinking hot chocolate most nights. I make sure it is fat free and add fat free whipped cream, funny that I wasn't concerned about the ridiculous amount of calories I was consuming in wine.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

i used to keep a small tub of top quality chocolate ice cream in the freezer so i could use it as a surrogate reward for those times in the past where i'd have rewarded myself with a drink .

I havn't felt the want of need for a reward like that for over four months now so i guess thats another drinking style habbit broken . It remains in the armoury / tool box if required .

Bestwishes, M
Old 12-05-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
, funny that I wasn't concerned about the ridiculous amount of calories I was consuming in wine.
No kidding! It is really strange how our addicted brains work sometimes.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

If you search, you will find a hypoglycemic diet or a diet for the recovering alcoholic. It's where the blood sugar stays stable by eating well and sometimes by eating small amounts through the day..... cravings will be minimal.

When I started my sobriety, there was a long thread on Candidiasis......which can be in the entire body.....I think that was the word....

Check out the Health and Nutrition Forum.

Pistachios. They are supposed to reduce cravings....
Old 12-05-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yupp. I understand that candida often causes massive sugar and alcohol cravings, and my naturopthic doctor (and family doc, surprisingly) both said that most alcoholics have chronic candida infections.