Notices

Ice cream and sweets to get rid of urge to drink?

Old 12-05-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I had to make myself take a break from eating ice cream every night but it was a glorious love affair while it lasted! Chocolate with peanut butter, or cookie dough, or cookies and cream. Sigh. But I realized I still need something sweet every night. Pudding, cookies, cupcakes. I'm trying to decide how long will be too long to let this go on. Haha. I have not gained weight so that's good.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I never have any sweets in the house, but I am eating cheese and crackers like it's gone out of fashion. If i really crave something sweet, which I do, I eat a big slice of cold water melon.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

i am always so different from everyone else. i used to actually eat chocolate hershey bars while drinking beer ...?... i did at one point in my drinking. i'm sure that i do have some type of problem with sugar. i hit a huge slump at 2pm pretty much every day and usually eat sugar to keep myself going the next couple of hrs to get thru work. then i would always drink when i got home - drinking always pepped me right up. when i first stopped drinking i just came straight home and took a nap and then got up a few hrs and then went to bed. that's another thing, everyone always talks about not sleeping.... i could just sleep all the time and still feel tired.
ive been trying to eat fruits and vegetables and drink more water and its not really helping too much.... but i have abused my body for a lot of years....
Old 12-05-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

I always loved chocolate and ice-cream ...but never ate them when I was drinking because I was well aware of the calories in the copious amounts of alcohol I was drinking. I always ate healthily.

Now I am not drinking I eat chocolate (daily) and icecream when I want to... without any guilt what so ever.

My frequency and intensity level of exercise is improving (when free of injury) as I am no longer hungover.

I have lost weight even with all the yummy treats I eat.

Unless you have other underlying illnesses.... eat what you want .... just don't drink
Old 12-05-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I ended up with diabetes, so I go for the cheese, like Dragongirl. I can have a modest amount of chocolate or ice cream, but if I binge on it, my sugar will go too high. So, cheese and crackers here too!
Old 12-05-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I used ice cream (on top of drakes coffee cakes) often in my first year of sobritey, and it worked. Found out later on though that the majority of achoholics also process sugar differently than most (learned that in an alchoholism pharmacology class). Found out soon after a lot about how processed sugar can wreak havoc on our health and emotions. Actualy almost drank in early sobriety due to sugar crashes that caused some severe anxiety... I was saved by a banana.

Anyhow, bottom line for me was that it worked and was much safer and healthier than drinking, but I think would have caused more harm than good in later sobriety, had I made a habit of it. I'd be fat, too.

If anyone is interested, there's a book that was taken out of publication for a while (I believe for political reasons) called Sugar Blues, that is an incredibly interesting read. It changed my life and my thinking immensely. Can be picked up used for pennies on amazon.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I scream. You scream. We ALL scream for ice cream!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

hey those are my favorites too

Originally Posted by OneLessLonely View Post
I had to make myself take a break from eating ice cream every night but it was a glorious love affair while it lasted! Chocolate with peanut butter, or cookie dough, or cookies and cream. Sigh. But I realized I still need something sweet every night. Pudding, cookies, cupcakes. I'm trying to decide how long will be too long to let this go on. Haha. I have not gained weight so that's good.