Notices

Mental acuity

Old 12-03-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mental acuity

Hey Everyone!! Been on here off and on for the past year and always get a great boost of positivity every time

I am mainly a binge drinker. I'm 30, and have drank at the minimum, every weekend since i was 18. Usually a 12 pack and a nip. I only missed a handful of weekends when i was sick. Sometimes they would turn into extended benders for days if on vacation. I never blacked out, never did anything outrageous, never said anything i regretted, and never drove drunk. I was always a very lucid drunk. I always had a great diet, of vegetables, fruit, organic grains, and have taken vitamins throughout my entire drinking career to combat the damage.
I never tried moderating until 2 years ago and found that i can do it and enjoy having two beers and stopping. I go off and on with it though. When i do cave in and binge it's usually down to about a six pack with the odd massive binge on occasion.
The only problem i've noticed with my drinking is my mental acuity has definitely slowed, and my hangovers have been getting worse as i age. I work my brain a lot and can still memorize pretty well but i'm always losing my train of thought and sometimes can't find the right word to express myself which is pretty embarrassing in front of people . Every time i start to moderate my drinking i get flashes of my old sharp brain but after 3 weeks or a month i always screw it up and drink too much
I wanted to ask you guys how long it took for you to get your brain in good working order and be able to find the right words and have a solid train of thought? Did you feel like you got smarter as your sobriety progressed?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

18 months in and I am getting more clear every day....still not like I used to be....

I know people with much more (and some with less) sobriety and they are much further along than I....

weed and alcohol was my choice.....

I'm 51, I spent most of my life high--one way or another or both and then there were my cocaine years......although I haven't touched that in about 8 years (or more?) now....
Old 12-03-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have heard it is 5 years before you get as good as you are going to. 3 years in for me and I am still getting better. More clarity, more focus, more rational thought