Notices

Is this a religious website?

Old 11-28-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this a religious website?

Hi everyone. I am brand new to this site, and still having a problem admitting that I am an alcoholic. Wine is my poison. What I will admit, however is that I am an atheist. I have noticed a common trend with these websites, and AA, in the sense that there is a lot of religious talk and prayers. I do not have a problem with anybody's beliefs but I am convinced that god will not be helping me with my sobriety. I am wondering if there is a non-religious forum on here, or if anyone can recommend a non-religious resource?

For the record, I am interested in meeting friends from all walks of life, but for now I am trying to figure out how all this works. Thank you!
Old 11-28-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Nostalgia - welcome

there's absolutely no requirement for you to believe anything here

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a secular, non 12 step approach.

D
  # 3 (permalink)  
teacher in need of knowledge

AA is about spiritual principles. Not religion. I remember people saying your "higher power" is anything you want it to be-----even a doorknob. "god" is your choice. But letting go and lettting a power greater than you is most helpful to getting sober. When I say I can control my drinking, I still am "in charge"> I have found that seeing how powerless I am helps me stay sober and grow.
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome to SR! Here's a link to the secular threads. Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Hope this is helpful for you!

Love from Lenina
Old 11-28-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Hi there, nostalgia.

I quit drinking 14 years ago and, while I'm not an atheist, I also don't believe that God is responsible for my sobriety....I am! There are lots of folks on here who feel the same way, some atheists, some not.

It's fine to participate in the general forums here where you'll get support regardless of your viewpoints, and definitely check out the secular connections forum. Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Hang in there, and I think you'll find you "belong" here!
Old 11-28-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome nostalgia. Glad you found us. This place helped me get sober after a lifetime of drinking. I hope you'll find the hope and encouragement you need here.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR nostalgia

You might want to look into AVRT and SMART if you haven't already. Both good secular alternatives to AA. AA in itself is theoretically secular though, but the language is very religious in nature. It is possible to work it without any religious faith if you wanted to go down that route too. Anything is possible x
Old 11-28-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

In the area where I do my AA meetings there are a number of atheists and the 12step programe works for them.

You can think of the word God as standing for good orderly direction or group of drunks.

Dont let being an atheist keep you away from AA.It is worth going to meetings and then deciding whether or not it is for you.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

It is not a religious website, and no one is here to try to push any sort of belief onto you. The only thing I do is speak on my experience with recovery.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nope, this is as totally free of beleif systems web site. There are sections with every flavor that fits you. Welcome!
Old 11-28-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! AA is a spiritual program but a lot of its members are religious. Whatever method you use, give it your all. Your life depends on it.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This site is wonderful for that reason . It doesnt matter what you believe or dont believe, as long as you dont insult another person's belief system, experience, or recovery method, and dont attempt to give medical advice (see the Zero Tolerance section), you will fit in beautifully here.
Welcome!
Old 11-28-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard..

Good to have you. Grab a coffee or hot tea, and relax.. I think you'll like it here..
Old 11-30-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! You have been very helpful! P.S. I didn't drink last night, and although I was very bored, I feel great today. Got a workout in too!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to SR! AA is a spiritual program but a lot of its members are religious. Whatever method you use, give it your all. Your life depends on it.
I'd be willing to bet...There are a few sober alcoholics out there that don't use AA that are religious too.....not that it really matters....This is about not drinking and drugging right?....myself...I have become spiritual...Never was and probably never will be religious...But I realize I'm not running the show here...I didn't do a very good job of that.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm not here to push anything on others or insult beliefs. And I don't see other posters doing that either. I stay neutral and open minded. If asked, I will give my experience, etc honestly. But I like that these forums exist for support to not drink. Welcome to SR!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I am as religious and spiritual as religious and spiritual can be. I'm jus' sayin'.

See you on the Secular Connections forum, nostalgia.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nostalgia View Post
Thanks guys! You have been very helpful! P.S. I didn't drink last night, and although I was very bored, I feel great today. Got a workout in too!
Congrats on a sober evening, I'm glad to hear you feel well. As you go through the week, you will feel even better. Developing new interests that you CAN do because your sober is a big incentive. I've found so many things and places to go because i'm not dragging around chained to a bottle of booze.

there is a lot of good information here to help guide you through what you personally need to stay healthy and develop that "sobriety skill and mindset"
Old 12-01-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi,

AA is indeed religious as everyone save some of its members agree on, I know that from first-hand experience. This website is not though and every programme other than AA focuses on abstinence rather than God.

I hope that clears things up.