Notices

Intervention marathon last night

Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Big fan of the show, like a poster said above I've seen probley 90% of the episodes thanks to Netlix. I have fond memories of watching that show high on drugs and drinking alcohol. Now that I'm sober I don't watch it anymore, go figure.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JJay View Post
Allison was probably the most intense and insane episode I've ever seen. That was unreal.

She's a cutie! I mean, now that she's sober. She was a wreck when she was inhaling that stuff.
I remember her. She and her sister were both molested when they were really little, and when they told their mother about it she ignored them?!
Old 11-21-2012, 12:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JJay View Post
Laurie, I have a Salvation Army a little over a mile from my home. I'm not sure they offer the program you're suggesting though. This Salvation Army is notorious for being a place to score drugs. They have meetings there every day at 7AM and noon time and I was told by other AA meetings to NEVER go there.

I'm sure this isn't the case with all Salvation Armys but this one is in a bad part of town and I've been advised to stay away at all costs.
It depends on the Salvation Army. Some of them also serve as a type of "safe house" and those don't allow drugs or alcohol on site because there are children living there.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I watch the shows...
I don't have "TV" but I watch them on either netflix or Hulu.
Yeah I feel two ways about it. The truth is, even as an alcoholic, I was always just watching it for cheap entertainment, because it is trash TV. I just can't get behind springing an intervention, surprise, on someone, especially when they're stoned six ways from Sunday. It's just not right.
I also don't think A&E is honest about their relapse rates. I'm sure they're extremely high. These people they profile are so half-assed in their recovery, they can't even be bothered to do it unless their parents force them on a plane and they get to stay at a beachfront resort for four months. Most of them are actually pretty half-assed in their addiction, too, always hitting up their parents for $40 or hounding mom to drive them to score from their dealer.
It's more of a show about codependency than anything else.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaceUp View Post
I watch the shows...
I don't have "TV" but I watch them on either netflix or Hulu.
Yeah I feel two ways about it. The truth is, even as an alcoholic, I was always just watching it for cheap entertainment, because it is trash TV. I just can't get behind springing an intervention, surprise, on someone, especially when they're stoned six ways from Sunday. It's just not right.
I also don't think A&E is honest about their relapse rates. I'm sure they're extremely high. These people they profile are so half-assed in their recovery, they can't even be bothered to do it unless their parents force them on a plane and they get to stay at a beachfront resort for four months. Most of them are actually pretty half-assed in their addiction, too, always hitting up their parents for $40 or hounding mom to drive them to score from their dealer.
It's more of a show about codependency than anything else.
I wasn't aware that one could be half assed in an addiction.

I wasn't aware that attending treatment and getting clean could also be considered as half assed.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:12 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

one thing about this show is what i love about it is...

as the "family and friends" sit around and talk about how they will STOP the enabling behaviour of themselves...

I believe once the Addict/Alcoholic HEARS those words that nobody will help them anymore, they have no where to go...

the intervention itself? humm, we cant change a person..but at that moment there is hope that they do stay sober for themselves...

the friends and family do need their own 12 step program
Old 11-21-2012, 05:18 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fourmaggie View Post
one thing about this show is what i love about it is...

as the "family and friends" sit around and talk about how they will STOP the enabling behaviour of themselves...

I believe once the Addict/Alcoholic HEARS those words that nobody will help them anymore, they have no where to go...

the intervention itself? humm, we cant change a person..but at that moment there is hope that they do stay sober for themselves...

the friends and family do need their own 12 step program
I agree with much of what you said, but don't feel that 12 step programs are necessary for everyone.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
I remember her. She and her sister were both molested when they were really little, and when they told their mother about it she ignored them?!
I forgot that, poor Allison and her sister.
I wonder if she is reconciled with her mother now? xx
Old 11-21-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I missed the marathon but I sometimes pull it up on OnDemand. Sometimes I enjoy the show and sometimes I don't. It all depends on the person in the show and my mood.

I think the show has a really important part for love ones of the addict, the pre-intervention. I think it could do the loved ones a lot of good to hear what is said in the pre-intervention such as "if he doesn't go to rehab you need to stop picking up his calls, giving him money, or a place to live" and "you need to tell him that you love him but if he doesn't get help then you will move on with you life and he will not be a part of it". I must say, that part of the show ALWAYS has some good information.

I also think the pre-intervention and intervention are good for an addict to see too. When in the depths of addiction it is hard to think about anyone but yourself. It can be an eye opener to see the little old grandfather there upset and not understanding why this is happening, or the mother who has aged fast and is crippled by her son's addiction, or the brothers and sisters whose hearts break but know they can't go on any longer like this. It is heartbreaking, and hopefully it turns on a light bulb for some addicts that "hey i'm not just killng myself, i'm killing my family too".

As for exploiting the people on the show, they signed up and knew their stories about their addiction were going to be aired to the public. They chose to sit there and shoot up with the camera in their face. The only difference then them agreeing to be in a documentary and what happens is at the end they get a free trip to a really expensive rehab where if they wake up, they can really turn their lives around.

The one thing I don't like about the show is I wish they would show the ones that say no and what happened to them 9 months later like they do with the ones that say yes. Now THAT would be educational, not just he oh everyone says yes and gets better t.v attitude.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Originally Posted by Maylie View Post
I missed the marathon but I sometimes pull it up on OnDemand. Sometimes I enjoy the show and sometimes I don't. It all depends on the person in the show and my mood.

I think the show has a really important part for love ones of the addict, the pre-intervention. I think it could do the loved ones a lot of good to hear what is said in the pre-intervention such as "if he doesn't go to rehab you need to stop picking up his calls, giving him money, or a place to live" and "you need to tell him that you love him but if he doesn't get help then you will move on with you life and he will not be a part of it". I must say, that part of the show ALWAYS has some good information.

I also think the pre-intervention and intervention are good for an addict to see too. When in the depths of addiction it is hard to think about anyone but yourself. It can be an eye opener to see the little old grandfather there upset and not understanding why this is happening, or the mother who has aged fast and is crippled by her son's addiction, or the brothers and sisters whose hearts break but know they can't go on any longer like this. It is heartbreaking, and hopefully it turns on a light bulb for some addicts that "hey i'm not just killng myself, i'm killing my family too".

As for exploiting the people on the show, they signed up and knew their stories about their addiction were going to be aired to the public. They chose to sit there and shoot up with the camera in their face. The only difference then them agreeing to be in a documentary and what happens is at the end they get a free trip to a really expensive rehab where if they wake up, they can really turn their lives around.

The one thing I don't like about the show is I wish they would show the ones that say no and what happened to them 9 months later like they do with the ones that say yes. Now THAT would be educational, not just he oh everyone says yes and gets better t.v attitude.
I do know that one guy who actually did accept help and stayed sober for over a year died shortly after from all the damage he'd already done to his body due to drinking. Really sad. I believe it was psoriasis of the liver.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

JJay that is so sad. Our bodies can only handle so much, it is just heartbreaking when someone embraces sobriety but it is too late.

Addiction is so serious, we all need to put the efforts that we put into our addictions into our recovery.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Originally Posted by Maylie View Post
JJay that is so sad. Our bodies can only handle so much, it is just heartbreaking when someone embraces sobriety but it is too late.

Addiction is so serious, we all need to put the efforts that we put into our addictions into our recovery.
I'm not exactly old (31) but I'm terrified of the damage I know I've probably done to my insides.

I found the link

The Most Tragic A&E
Old 11-21-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by Xune View Post
...the show tells the addicts that they're going to be in a documentary about addiction.

The addict agrees to participate.

Where's the lie?
The lie is that the addict is NOT going to be in a documentary about addiction; they are going to be intervened upon, and the resulting personal drama placed on national television for the entertainment pleasure of the viewing public and the commercial enrichment of the show's producers and advertisers.

The reality is that if the addict was told the truth, i.e. that they were to be the subject of a nationally televised intervention, they would not agree to participate.

It does not make any difference if others think it is for the addict's "own good" that this is done. It does not make any difference if others enjoy watching the show. It does not matter if the public is educated.

It only matters that a lie is being told to induce someone to participate in something that they would refuse to do if they were told the truth. There is no way to ever make that right.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I disagree.

They are told they are going go be in a documentary about addiction and that the footage of them will be made public.

The only thing they are not told is that they will have the opportunity to get well.

Withholding ones intent is not lying.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Even though for most the show is considered "entertainment" these people are offered FREE treatment at centers that cost tens of thousands of dollars. I think that's a pretty good deal when all is said and done. I'm sure they get paid too. I doubt anyone says, "Sure! I'll let you film me and my addiction for free. You can exploit my misery and I'm totally cool with that!"
Old 11-22-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

for me i look at it this way...

they have no more enablers IF they continue to use...or drink....

to me, thats the bottom line...

for the A, its a good place to START...not alot of them stay sober when "ganged" up on...
Old 11-22-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Well, there's an important legal concept regarding disclosure, and it's that in order for disclosure to be valid, the person must be given all information that is material to their decision. So, for example, if you want to sell someone stock, and disclose to them everything but the critical, material information that you intend to declare corporate bankruptcy the following day, you've committed fraud.

Similarly, here, if A&E discloses everything...except the entire purpose of the footage to be taken of the addict!...it has committed fraud.

Failing to disclose intent IS, in fact, lying.

On top of this, there is, of course, the fact that someone who is in the throes of severe addiction is not in the best position to understand what they are signing.

If this were any other situation than addiction, I am quite sure that people would have no difficulty understanding the moral, ethical and legal issues involved.