Notices

Married to a recovering alcoholic

Old 11-18-2012, 08:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Married to a recovering alcoholic

Hello, I am new to this site. I am looking for advice/guidance for what I am going through and how I am feeling.
My husband of one year has been sober for 6 months now. He has had a long battle with alcoholism, since he was a teen. However, it was not brought to my attention until a year ago, after we got married and I got pregnant.
He has go the most horrible temper with a very short fuse. I feel like I am living my life "walking on eggshells" so I don't do or say anything that pisses him off. And sometimes that seems impossible. Our day to day life consists of him being fine for a few days, then he blows up about something (me or work) and then we hardly talk for 3-4 days, and repeat. I try to be supportive of him and just live life in a way that will make things easier. But that isn't fair to me. I want to enjoy my life, not live my life in order to keep him happy.
I feel like a total bitch because he has a disease, and I feel that I should have more sympathy. But I am so mentally and emotionally exhausted from all the pain and grief that he has caused me in the last year, that I am afraid that I have lost my feelings for him. Divorce crosses my mind way to often, and I feel that it would be easier to be a single mom of a 4 month old then to deal with this the rest of my life.
I could type for hours going into details of the things he gets mad about that make no sense, like me working more hours in order to pay our bills! but I wont get into that now. Just wondering if others feel this way or I really am a bitch that should just suck it up and be more supportive. thanks
Old 11-18-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Lea. No your not a bitch that just has to suck it up. Have you ever looked into Al Anon? There's also a friends and family forum on the site where you'll find a lot of others dealing withthis.
Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information