Notices

Trying again

Old 11-18-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
"Run Till U Rot"

Trying again

Lost my way and fooled myself into thinking I was in control of alcohol. I am a 51 year old binge drinker. I can go for months not drinking and then want to believe I'm normal and can have a few. I haven't drank very much the last 7 years. A couple of embarrassing binges have kept me almost straight. I took up running and competing in marathons and that has saved my career, my marriage and life. But guess what, I'm still an alcoholic. I have never been completely free of it. It's always hiding inside and waiting to destroy all of my hard work. I recently came off of a night of heavy drinking with a co-worker who is going through a divorce. He will not admit its his behaviors are causing this and not his wives. Anyhow, I knew better. He came over with a six pack and gallon of whiskey. I woke up humiliated. I haven't drank with others in years. I make it a point to not have a drinking lifestyle. I feel depressed but realize I have been heading for this for sometime. I hate alcohol. I just feel tired and beaten. It has slowly grown into a problem again but again I will fight it. My grandfather and father died fairly young after living lives destroyed by alcohol and I refuse to end my life that way. I'm going to run harder, read my bible again and connect with others. I have many blessings in my life that I want to protect and care for. Just because I'm alcoholic doesn't mean I have to die a broken person. I refuse to. GOD help us all, It's a curse.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

If it's a curse, it's a curse we can lift tho
welcome to SR Runningman

D
Old 11-18-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Your post shows that you are determined to pur this behind you once and for all. Well done sir!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can do it. Many of us have had slips along the way. Don't beat yourself up over it.
The Bible will help, I hope. Have you read the Big Book of AA. Try and see if you can relate.

Keep trying, and best to you.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Runningman x