Notices

Quitting and meds

Old 11-17-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting and meds

This might be long, so please bear with me. I do have a problem with alcohol, I am aware of that. If I could just cut back, that would be ideal, but I've tried that and it hasn't really worked. Now working on quitting for good. The reason I must say goodbye to alcohol is for the past few months it has made my anxiety skyrocket! I've had anxiety all my life, but nothing like this. It's paralyzing somedays. I can't handle it anymore. I know if I cut out alcohol, anxiety would be gone.

I've spoken with my doc that I trust completely. I've been seeing her for a long time and she knows my situation. I've told her my anxiety has been sky high for a few months now and she suggested Klonopin, which is a benzo. I did tell her that I do drink, but am trying like hell to cut it out. She advised me that drinking while taking benzos are not a good idea at all. I haven't taken one yet. I am nervous to start anything else that could be habit forming. But, if I could get my anxiety under control, I might have a better chance of really quitting. I have anxiety even thinking about alcohol. I really feel like so much of my problem right now is my anxiety.

Anyone tried taking something like a benzo while trying to quit? Did it help or make things worse?
Old 11-17-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunnybird03 View Post
This might be long, so please bear with me. I do have a problem with alcohol, I am aware of that. If I could just cut back, that would be ideal, but I've tried that and it hasn't really worked. Now working on quitting for good. The reason I must say goodbye to alcohol is for the past few months it has made my anxiety skyrocket! I've had anxiety all my life, but nothing like this. It's paralyzing somedays. I can't handle it anymore. I know if I cut out alcohol, anxiety would be gone.

I've spoken with my doc that I trust completely. I've been seeing her for a long time and she knows my situation. I've told her my anxiety has been sky high for a few months now and she suggested Klonopin, which is a benzo. I did tell her that I do drink, but am trying like hell to cut it out. She advised me that drinking while taking benzos are not a good idea at all. I haven't taken one yet. I am nervous to start anything else that could be habit forming. But, if I could get my anxiety under control, I might have a better chance of really quitting. I have anxiety even thinking about alcohol. I really feel like so much of my problem right now is my anxiety.

Anyone tried taking something like a benzo while trying to quit? Did it help or make things worse?

I've been on Paxil for years for OCD and when I approached my Doctor about my alcohol problem, he specifically didn't prescribe me a benzo, as he didn't want to prescribe a potentially addictive drug, to a person whose addicted to alcohol.

Instead, he prescribed Seroquel, which is an atypical anti-psychotic ( don't be afraid of the category) and it affects neurotransmitters, especially dopamine in the brain.

If you google Seorquel, you'll see that it is in fact used by doctors, as an off label treatment of alcoholism.

This is my experience, only mine and in no way am I giving you any medical advice...just sharing what happened to me.

By the way, my OCD responds fabulously to Paxil ( lucky me) and the Seroquel has helped me further.

Personally, I don't want benzos...I'd likely abuse them.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for your reply. Not sure what I'll do. Unfortunatly I might still be in a denial stage of being an alcoholic or not. Some days I am, some days I'm not. I think I'll hold off on the benzos.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Let's get something straight, please!

You used the S word: SEROQUEL

You say it is prescribed off-label for alcoholism, really?!!!

My doctor prescribed it to me to help me with my sleeping problem. I used alcohol to self-medicate for years, no, strike that, for DECADES, in the evenings, to "get to sleep". So, to replace my self-induced ALCOHOL THERAPY (pardon the sarcasm), my doctor suggested Seroquel to help me PROPERLY get to sleep, WITHOUT having to resort to A L C O H O L self-medication.

So my dear doctor gave me Seroquel to sleep....is it a bonus, that it decreases alcohol cravings, TOO?!

Dear God, what great news if this is true!

Kelly
Old 11-17-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would stay away from all benzos if you have ever struggled with alcohol. They can be habit forming and abused just like alcohol. There are plenty of meds that are not addictive that can treat anxiety very effectively.

My experience with them is late last year I had gone approx. 2 months without drinking and still had extreme anxiety and problems sleeping. My Dr. recommended klonopin and I knew it probably wasn't the best idea but took the scrip. My sponsor said "no way" tear that up immediately but of course fulfilled it and it worked fine for the first few weeks. i took as prescribed ("one at bedtime"), slept beauifully, and all was well. In fact, I felt so relaxed when I was going to bed I thought I would like to feel that morning when I was feeling very anxious. Soon I was taking a few per day minimum, and I put up no resistance to my first drink since I was feeling so "relaxed." That was the beginning of months long binge that probably never would have started without taking the klonopin. I should have listened to everyone (and even that little thing inside me) saying not to take them but I did not. You may have that little thing inside you questioning it as well since you posted on here.

Anyway, I would highly recommend not taking the klonopin and possibly talking to another Dr. about your anxiety who can prescribe something that isn't so similar to alcohol.

jDuBmAc
Old 11-17-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a reminder to everyone

You are welcome to share your personal experience but we cannot give medical advice here. It is against our rules.

By our rules medical and psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals.

thanks

D

Last edited by Dee74; 11-17-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience with benzoes Sunnybird.

If you trust your Dr but still have concerns I think it's best to go back and speak to her and share those concerns?

D