Notices

Hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life...

Old 11-17-2012, 02:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life...

Hi, I'm a 26 year old female. I used
To drink a handle of rum every 2 days and am proud to say that I am 7 days sober. I faced the music and turned to my mother last Thursday and confessed everything. She was so understanding and unbelieveably supportive. I asked her to take me to the hospital, as I was having severe withdrawals. I stayed in the hospital for 6 days. It was misery. I couldnt eat, had to change rooms everyday, constantly hooked to an iv and just felt so ashamed. After the 5th day, I could finally keep food down and was discharged. I've been out for a day and have began my road to recovery. I have an appointment with my docter on Tuesday and shall begin looking into some kind of support group or outpatient program. I hated being in the hospital, but it was a hell of alot easier than being on my own. I can't sleep at night, Im happy one moment and depressed another. I'm so determined to never drink again, but it's so hard. I just need words of wisdom from people who have been through the same thing. I'm hopefully but hopeless at the same time. The anxiety is killing
Me....

(I left alot of details put because I'm just so exhausted and it's such a long story. so feel free to ask questions)
Old 11-17-2012, 03:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can relate... I drank about the same amount as you did. I drank round the clock, waking through the night to top myself up before I started withdrawing too much, throwing up the first drink every morning, couldn't eat, drank in secret, even at work. It was h#ll.

This is my 2nd time around with sobriety. I first got sober 2-1/2 years back. It was hard, but life-changing... not immediately, mind you, but every sober day replaced a drunk one, and after awhile I started to be proud of myself - The new me? .. well, no, it was the "real" me emerging.

This summer, I was having a hard time and should have looked for help .. counselling, AA, my doctor, or at least a friend/family. But I thought I'd just have a few, to take the edge off until I got through some personal things. But, I spiralled quickly back to 24 hour drinking - until I stupidly drove drunk and got a DUI.

I quit again after that - just over a month ago. Withdrawals, like yours, were again horrid. I am glad to be back on track.

I felt such shame the first time, 2-1/2 years back. And this time the embarrassment was even worse, having to admit to a relapse, which I was hiding, and then the DUI which can't be hidden. I understand the shame.... and I also understand family support. I don't know what I'd have done without my mom's support. I am very thankful. Hang onto that. Be proud of yourself - where you're "at" right now will only get better and better.

I find it helps me to make a to-do plan ... Like, how I am going to remain healthy, look after myself, activities and new things to do. I am going to AA this time around.. it's wonderful for support, direction, and to simply know you're not alone - there are many of "us" out there. I've also seen my Dr. and have made an appointment to talk to someone. (Being honest is very "freeing" .. So is not having to rely on, and plan my life around, booze to function!)

Besides making a to-do plan, I've also written a list of "positives" ... one of which is the amount of money I'm saving not drinking! And what I will save for. And feeling grateful, every day. I also make sure to smile and laugh often - it works wonders, even if you fake it. It's nice to see a future again ... one day at a time will build and build and build.

Be proud of You today. You are overcoming something huge .. Hang in there. I promise it gets easier, better, happier.

Nice to meet you. (Sorry this reply was so long!)
Old 11-17-2012, 03:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello & welcome to SR ubetternotblink.

I'm sorry to hear the pain you've gone through recently, but yay! to day 7.

Everyone's 'bottom' is different but I think we are all similar, in that we don't ever want to go through the early stages of withdrawal again

I wish you well on your journey. It sounds like you have an amazing mum

S x
Old 11-17-2012, 03:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, and congratulations on 7 days. This may feel like the hardest thing you've ever done but it is also the best thing you can do for yourself. The beginning is going to be hard. But as you get past the physical pain, and your mind starts to clear, you will be amazed at how well you feel and wonder how the heck you ever put yourself through such hell.
Hang in there. It gets better. And read posts on here as well as keep posting.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I often focus on the bad feeling of my last hangover, try to fully imerse myself in the memory for at least 2 to 5 mins, it really helps keep me sober when my daft alkie brain is trying its best to trick me .

For me the jittery anxiety went after the first few weeks, after the first month although my sleeping pattern was allover the place, the sleep when it came was very deep and refreshing .

For me 4 days felt ok , 4 weeks good , 4 months and you feel like a different person . Im past 400 days now and have some cloudy thinking going on ( might just be age! as i approach 40) but honestly it is worth sticking with it . I remember how hard those first days and weeks are, god willing i'll never do them again .

Bestwishes , M

P.S. here's a linky with some experience on it :-
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 11-17-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great decision ! You should be proud of yourself for recognizing that you have a problem, and took action to address it !! Way to go !

Now, your action to maintain sobriety must continue. Could be AA or other recovery programs out there... I essentially eliminated people/places/situations that reminded me of drinking for the first 3-4 months, surrounded myself with people like me in AA rooms and made sobriety my #1 PRIORITY.. Without it, my life would eventually fall apart...No doubt, as alcoholism is regressive.

Took a few (too many) tries, but my life is so much better now sober. I have a new sense of freedom as well as pride...

Keep posting, we're here to help !!
Old 11-17-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm so proud of you. I'm the same age and having this problem so young is so hard to address. Especially when you hear about people who drank for decades. We're the lucky ones.

I went through a medical detox about 10 days ago for 4 days and it was agony. The physical and emotional pain (mainly anxiety), plus getting moved around, was just so awful. I felt like I was living minute by minute.

My life has fallen to pieces since getting sober, but I am so thankful I am sober for it and all desire to drink in times of crisis is not in me. I can't sleep either, but my mom sent me some Valerian root extract she got from the store (herbal) and it's helped me get some sleep. That might work for you.

I am really, really happy for you. I hated it when people said "It'll get better" but honestly, it does.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Hey I'm 27 and also use to drink an obscene amount of alocohol alone and sometimes in the morning/throughout the entire day. I think the most important thing in recovery is positivity. When im feeling down and sorry for myself and my past, I remind myself of how good it is that I'm learning how to live sober before I turn 30 so that 30-onwards I can have a truly wonderful life free from addiction. And so can you~ ! there is hope for ppl like us!!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you for making that call to your mom and for making this decision at such a young age. I drank socially (according to me) all through college and my twenties, however, my social drinking was heavy drinking! In my thirties I had three kids and remained sober during pregnancy and nursing. However, drinking started creeping in again and my glass of wine went to a bottle and then two.

Good for you for doing this at this age!!! Keep posting and reading here!