Notices

Books :)

Old 11-17-2012, 12:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Books :)

Hey everyone, I am feeling better from yesterday, and some of today's ordeal. My head hurt pretty bad, and usually that is a sign for, yup you guessed it, a sign for a beer. I had to fight myself, my mind on not drinking, the voice was telling me: "Lie"; "It's okay to lie, liars get ahead in this world, look at Vic (Vic a young man who owns several businesses had told me to lie about my drinking)"; "Lie to your girl friend, she doesn't have to know"; "Lie to your psychiatrist so you can get meds and still drink".

My head was spinning like crazy, I was agitated, irritated, angry, walking around the room, then I Goggled "Lying to your psychiatrist about drinking" a SobberRecovery thread was the first search. I read it, and I read the guys problems and said, "Dude you don't have those problems, he has them worse. Lying isn't going to help and it might make you worse! Is that what you want? Don't you want to help your mom? Don't you want to give back to the women that has stuck by you no matter how stupid you been? If you want to stick around then don't lie. Tell the truth as you normally do. Be strong." Luckily, my mother also called me minutes after and hearing her sweet voice no matter how cranky I sound melts me to my knees. So she reinforced me without knowing it.

It's only been five days and these past two days have put me to the test. I guess it doesn't help I am approach my 10 day block I haven't been able to surpass. Half way there and the voice is already whispering, I hope it doesn't start yelling. I just want to do my freaking HW!!! lol Thats all. I have been coping by drinking tea and lemonade.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

HAHAHA I just realized I titled this books and it had nothing to do with books. What I really want to ask was if 1) you know of any good reads in self-help, alcoholism, motivational, etc 2)What is your favorite read and give a reason and maybe I will pick it up! I love to read
Old 11-17-2012, 12:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The second one is any book. I personally like non-fiction but I am open to fiction books if you really recommend it, just tell me why you recommend it
Old 11-17-2012, 01:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hey meso, im reading rational recovery , the new cure,, get it from amazon,,, its my best friend at mo,, very interesting and different approach to "alcoholism" but its not for evryone,, just a thought,, good luck on your 10 day goal,,, you will do it hun,,,
lv cleo xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 11-17-2012, 01:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am currently reading What Color is Your Parachute?
Old 11-17-2012, 03:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Iam reading sober for good and it's amazing..
Old 11-17-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just started "12 Steps on Buddha's Path" and it's interesting so far. I'm not a Buddhist but am open to the idea. Also enjoyed "Spontaneous Happiness" by Dr. Andrew Weil.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Some books on addiction and recovery that helped me:

Rational Recovery
The Easy Way to Stop Drinking
Drinking: A Love Story
Dry
Under the Influence (this was my most recent read. Really helpful in understanding the disease and pretty much was the book that convinced me that alcoholism IS a disease and not just a character flaw.)

So many good reads out there
Old 11-17-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

'Think Right,Feel Right'by Isett

Anything by Jon Kabat Zinn

'The Power of Now' by Tolle

Rational Recovery

Alan Carr-Easy Way to control alcohol
Old 11-17-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi there,

I finally stopped lying and told my psychiatrist about my drinking last week and she discharged me, saying she doesn't deal with addiction. She was nice about it though, and referred me to a non-for profit local addiction counselling which lasts longer than my insurance would have covered with her. So I'm looking forward to that, and she says to come back to her once I deal with all this.

As for books, I have been a fiend for them since getting sober. There's obviously the big book, but the one I'm finding is really helping is:

• Empowering You Sober Self:
By Martin Nicolaus (has a bonus in that it covers sections about women and minorities which has been huge for me and talks a lot about alternatives to AA)

This book has referred me to Women for Sobriety which has given me a good reading list to start on about addiction for women, since so much of AA literature is about men. So I'm planning to supplement the Big Book with these, as well as another book I'm also reading:

• 12 Stupid Things That Mess Up Recovery
By Allen Berger

I've ordered a bunch of others, so I'll let you know how those go. I've also gone on google books and been reading the preview of Chicken Soup for the Recovering Soul since a lot of the book is in the preview. It's mostly stories of recovery, but they're fantastic. Warning, though- the first one had me sobbing!!

I'd also suggest looking at the USA SMART recovery site- there's a lot of useful reading there, lists for other things to read, and downloadable homework. It's an alternative to AA in that it deals more with preventing relapse/why you relapsed before, rather than just sharing your stories about drinking.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

The big list is here.http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rituality.html
Old 11-17-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jennikate View Post
I just started "12 Steps on Buddha's Path" and it's interesting so far. I'm not a Buddhist but am open to the idea. Also enjoyed "Spontaneous Happiness" by Dr. Andrew Weil.
Hi Jenni, we're discussing something similar here if interested in joining in: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-own-path.html