Notices

Yesterday was a big day...

Old 11-15-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yesterday was a big day...

Yesterday----Woke up and drove to an chemical dependancy clinic- had initial evaluation. More appointments there today. Spent the rest of the day notifying select friends (felt I wanted to do this) and finding AA meetings. Also went my counselor (I am in a DUI program- 2nd one) and told him what I was doing--major support from him. I then spent about 2 hours surfing this site
Today was the first day in years (not sure how long) that I did not wake up with a hangover. Yesterday was the first day in years that I did not drink--although I wanted to...
Not sure really how to move forward to sobriety but this is what I've done so far--feels way weird...way weird...
Old 11-15-2012, 09:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, BetterInCa. Welcome to SR!

With all the steps you've taken today and yesterday you are surely moving to sobriety.
Focus on one day, avoid "first glass", keep reading and posting here - these initial steps will help you a lot, along with any program you chose to adopt for your recovery.

Best wishes to you!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

That is pretty friggin awesome. I am sure this must have been a huge step for you!

You will find all the support you will ever want on this site. Kind of like a lot of programs, you get out of it what you put into it. Glad you are being proactive so early. Getting involved definitely helps!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're moving forward just fine. Good for you for taking the steps you are taking and looking after your recovery.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow Thanks for the support/responses!
What I did not say is that was that since probably 1998 or so I have attempted to stop drinkng countless times-In that same timeframe I have driven to my Dr--and to AA meetings but never actually gone in--so there is a lot of torture and tear behind my simple post "yesterday was a good day" cause in reality it was a pretty ****** up day--those steps into the hospital dependency clinic were the toughest Ive ever taken--only in comparison into my 1st ever AA meeting today (heading to another tonight) --honestly i am in uncharted territory now and really not sure if I can sustain--this is no cakewalk!! Thanks again--I think this site will be a great help.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Congrats and welcome
Old 11-15-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I'm a junior here, 3 days sober. No cakewalk indeed.

But that feeling of pride is precious, booze brings shame, recovery brings freedom. Did a month before, worst is when you feel better, then think you can just have a few. Trust me please and don't.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's like being dropped off in a foreign country where we don't speak the language when we first begin recovery. IMO, you are doing GREAT!

It feels uncomfortable, icky and all those other feelings, but I promise...the more you do it, the more it will become your new "normal"

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-15-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I took the same steps you did 35 days ago, I decided around midnight October 11th after drinking almost an entire large bottle of wine.

The steps were difficult, but I worked with a doctor, counselor, and went to four weeks of education classes. I went to two AA meetings, great people but not the right fit for me.

I have been on this site daily, and have found amazingly supportive people who continue to inspire me. Glad to have you here, and good for you for taking those steps yesterday!
Old 11-15-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad you found us, Better! I can imagine how strange you feel - but better days are coming. I drank my whole life and never imagined I could make a move without it. All it did was steal my soul and bring me misery. You can have a new life, one filled with joy and peace.

Happy to have you as part of the family. We want to help in any way we can.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks All! FYI--Made my second AA meeting today--nice people--(still felt odd walking in there) spent hours (literally) on the today contacting/informing some friends that have been in recovery for 5 + years--actually one I had previously run some marathons with (yes while drinking-including throwing up repeatedly) actually came by to meet with me--another old girlfriend (8years sober) called/texted 10-12 times with input and support. Tonight I will write my family (all over the US) and let them know what I'm up to--and tomorrow---who knows??--hopefully it goes much like today--the way I am feeling there are certainly no guarantees--if past history dictates Ill be drinking by the afternoon. After attending these two meetings I have 16-18 men who gave me their numbers to call 24/7 if I feel the need--also had multiple offers for a temporary sponsor- One guy gave me a copy of the big book--we'll see--Thanks for all the positive input-you do not know how much it helps!!