Notices

A newbie, whats the best way???

Old 11-14-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A newbie, whats the best way???

HI, i have yesterday decided that i am going to become tee total, and finding it very hard. i was drinking a lot of wine (sometimes more than 2 bottles per day), and it was purely down to habbit and boredom. I am a mummy of 3 lovely boys, and need to kick this horrid routine, to ensure i am well and healthy to be the mummy my kids deserve. Normally, its not noticeable when i am drinking as being a heavy drinker its easy to hide the habbit from those close, bottles stashed in different places etc, it makes me feel so devious, and i have some how found the need and courage to face up to my problem and kick the habbit. I have not had a drink now for a few days and to be perfectly honest i am feeling bloody awful today, sick, shivers, sweats, and generally feeling rubbish, but surely its got to be worth going through this to feel better in the long run? has anyone got good advice for me, i am desperate to make this work x
Old 11-14-2012, 04:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There isn't really a best way, it just depends on what you are comfortable with and what you have available to you. I use AA and love it. The program is spelled out, there is support and fellowship, and I believe in a Higher Power, so it works for me.

There is Rational Recovery, SMART, AVRT to name a few. You can do meetings online too. There is a chatroom here and I think this board is great. People are very supportive.

Congratulations on stopping drinking!!!
Old 11-14-2012, 04:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The sick feelings you're having right now are the physical withdrawal from alcohol and that goes away in a few days to a week as long as you don't drink again.

I'm glad you joined us and made the decision to stop drinking. You won't regret it, I promise you.

Welcome to SR!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your quick reply, i have wanted to join a forum for a while now but its taking that step of addmitting you have a major issue. I am not ready to join any face to face groups yet, its easier to be behind a computer screen, and i would be scared of bumping into someone i would know there i am feeling a little better, but just no appetite at all, the thought of food makes me feel sick and have had a terrible stomach, but guess its my bodies way of dealing with things.... xx
Old 11-14-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You know what helped my stomach? Beef broth. Try it and follow with ice water.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Biroth is my goto cure for most things too. Eat lightly and take your vitamins after you eat. Try a little sugar too, your body was consuming a lot woth the wine, you need to balance.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hi ajs,, wow i used to work in swindon!! at gorse hill!!!
hope you are feeling a bit better, i take vitamins to help,, l-glut for muscle repair, and kudzu for the anti cravings,, works for me,, but health and saftey 1st,, please ask your herbalist ,,, lol,,, im on day 13 and not had any symptoms,, i also take zinc for repair of immune system,,, they are herbal so non addictive,,,
the sick feelings do go away ,, after 3-4 days you will be feeling much better, and evry day without a drink is a wonderful day yeh??
also,, try light exercise,even if its just a walk, it helps build up your inner strenght too and makes you feel happy.
as for the sugar,, well i ate sooooooooooooooooooo much choccie and cake in the 1st week, usualy i dont, but its just your body crying out for the sugar that you took in from the booze,, no biggy,, ive now swapped it for more healthy food,, and its better than drinking right?
you can do this hun,, you really can,,,
hey why dont you pop to the link for and ice skate? i used to go there so much,,,
bet its changed tho,, been 10 yrs since i last was up that way,, take care and keep posting gal,
x lv cleo xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx