Notices

Just stop thinking about it???

Old 11-13-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Diha,

One of the things that really helped me was that I noticed that I liked to always have a cup in my hand. So, I picked up one of those exercise bottles and drank water out of it all day. Another thing was that I replaced my booze stash with gallons of water. I realized I made a habit of always heading there after a rough day. Those two things have really helped me. Also, I set SR as my homepage, for me it always helps seeing this web page come up on a daily basis.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am obsessing over fruit juices and tea at the moment. I've got about six different cartons of different flavoured fresh juice in the refrigerator right now and I've been experimenting with all the different types they have in the supermarket. I've also got a cupboard full of different flavoured teas: mint, ginger, rose hip etc. Nothing I've bought is as expensive as even a fairly ordinary bottle of wine and of course it's all alcohol free. Yes, I am kind of obsessing over drink but at the moment, I'm obsessing over the taste of alcohol free drinks and I think that's a step forward.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
I can do anything!!!

I have not been sober long but I have cut back a lot over the past months. I have realized that the places I was hanging out at were not fun. I just went to drink. I have been spending quality time with the kids, volunteering, working out more, eating a lot of chocolate for some reason Point is, I already see positive changes and I am not sober. Hopefully that is enough to keep me going.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by diha View Post
They are alcoholics also. I have tried quitting before and I told them. I am not telling them this time because they like to test me. They would probably give me a bottle of vodka for Christmas if they knew. I don't think that they are doing it to be mean to me but rather they don't want me to change because they are addicts.
They can't get their own alcohol? Or is asking you to get them alcohol another way of testing you?

They see your quitting drinking as a threat to their own addictions.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Diha,

Alcohol and addiction is a very confusing and powerful thing. What helped me the most was AVRT and Rational Recovery. AA is a very good program too. I use a combination of the two. Heres a link to a discussion and explanation of AVRT. it's very helpful to me and worth reading!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...iscussion.html

love from Lenina
Old 11-13-2012, 10:06 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

It is great that you are spending more time with your kids. I am a full time working mom, and there were many days (okay, just bout every day) that we would get home from work/school/kid activities and the first thing I would do is pour s glass of wine. I would drink that as I got their dinner ready and then be on my second glass looking over homework and night time rituals (showers, stories...) once they were in bed I continued filling up the wine glass.

I have 33 days without alcohol and it is nice to be fully engaged with my kids when we get home, and also to have more time for exercise and reading, both of which I enjoy.

I am sorry your family is not being supportive, they are probably recognizing their own problems as you make healthier choices, and they don't want to see that.

I have found this site to be my greatest resource. Read and post daily,you will get great advice and support.

Looking forward to reading more of your posts.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
instant

In the end the obsessional thinking goes away- I have found the daily practice of gratitude an enormous help in replacing negative thought patterns
Old 11-14-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
I can do anything!!!

Thank you everyone for the great replies. Every bit of information is helpful.