Notices

This is difficult.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Call Me "Cor"

This is difficult.

Hello all.

I'm a 28-year-old female alcoholic who has been drinking for ten years and drinking heavily for about five years. My longest sober period in those five years has been about three months. As of now, I have no sober days. In fact, I am drinking as I write this.

I've browsed these forums on and off. I've read a lot of wonderful and heartbreaking words. I even joined before, but I never posted. I recall writing an emotional post that I could not bring myself to publish. You see, I have that old lack of courage. And the fear of and anxiety toward so many aspects of life that it is ridiculous and utterly tiresome. Everything about my addiction is tiresome. I love the feeling of being sober for those days or week, but then my brain tricks itself into thinking I need the old disgusting bottle or can. Then I feel as disgusting as ever.

Alcohol has claimed my health and my appearance. It almost claimed my marriage. It has claimed my friendships. It has almost claimed my future career. Almost claimed my life, of course. Somehow I have managed to avoid what I consider serious problems. But the problems I've had are serious, yes.

I don't expect this forum to change me. I just hope to find a little support and inspiration. I have the goal of posting here once a day in addition to going to a meeting as often as I can.

Regards,

Cor
Old 11-02-2012, 11:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

Hey Cor. Welcome. We have been there. I struggled to break free for years. Once I was done and ready to hand my life over to sobriety unconditionally things began to change for me.

I was facing mounting problems- it is amazing how much more functional we can be sober.

I also came to the conclusion that the "dread" of sobriety, and fears of failure, boredom etc were a product of the addiction- they went away- Life is now more fun and easier..........and I have a future.

You can to
Old 11-02-2012, 11:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Cor.
Welcome to SR. This is a wonderful place to find support.

A new life for you awaits, it can be done. There are so many here who are doing it successfully.
I was a daily drinker. I have been sober 5 months.
Put down that drink and join us. This journey is awesome xx
Old 11-02-2012, 11:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am glad you decided to post. Welcome. You are not alone.

Oh, and I did or expect this forum to change me either................but it did. : )
Old 11-02-2012, 11:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome cor. you will find much support on this web site to help with your recovery. focus on the moment and live day to day. you have to start somewhere, so why not start right now. put it down and go forward. small baby steps at first. we're here with you.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

welcome, corneille. i'm glad you've finally found the courage to post. no, this place won't change you. that comes from within. but you will find more support and inspiration than you'll know what to do with! i'm a 31 year old female who drank for about 10 years, 5 heavily and 3 so heavily it's amazing i don't have wet brain. it is possible to get that self respect back. or to get it at all if you didn't have to to begin with if you're like me. i hope you find this place to be as helpful as i have. welcome to SR. it's good to have you here.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Call Me "Cor"

Wow, thank you, Instant, Jeni, Happier, tinkanman, and Grits.

Instant -- Yes, that dread must be mostly imaginary, but oh, how it creeps up at the most inconvenient times. I'm ready to be done with it.

Jeni -- Thank you, and I'm ready for the journey....

tinkanman -- In honesty, my will isn't strong enough to put it down when it is right in front of me. Not just yet. I want to be there.

GRITS -- I never really had the self-respect either. I'm rather certain that is something I've clung to when drinking, but it is not easy to overcome.

To all -- I'm very glad to meet you.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Call Me "Cor"

And Happier -- I'm sorry I forgot your post. I've seen there are some great souls here. I'm here to learn. And thank you.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Cor

I didn't expect this forum to change me either..but gee I wanted it to.
I'd been drinking (and drunk) all day every day for 5 years when I arrived here.

I was beyond despair, beyond hopelessness.
I genuinely thought it was too late - I was doomed.

The people here gave me support, they gave me understanding, they gave me courage and they gave hope.

I'm nearly 6 years sober now.

SR helped me turn my life around - I know SR can help you do that too Cor

welcome!

D
Old 11-03-2012, 01:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Cor. Welcome to SR.

You'll find here not just little support and inspiration, but huge amount of support, encouragement and useful information.

As of the lack of courage, it is that nasty voice convinces you that you lack it. You have your courage, and the more you practice it, the more it increases. Just give it a try, make baby steps and you'll be surprised.

Take care and have a good day.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Call Me "Cor"

Dee74 -- Thank you Dee. I actually do feel better about sobriety....

Midnight -- Are you Russian? Спасибо и привет. Я немного говорю по русский. Speak better than write.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Cor, yes, I am Russian. Where did you learn to speak Russian?
Old 11-03-2012, 01:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Cor & a warm welcome from me too. I am changing and this forum helps me with that change but can't change me if you know what I mean.

It's a great place for objective advice. Without exception everyone in my life has their own ideas/agenda for my sobriety. The only voice I'm listening to is myself right now. And then of course the objective advice from friends here who can see through the waffle to the real issues.

If you feel it's time to quit, you are feeling hat for a reason so give it a go one day/hour/minute at a time. Just don't pick up if you feel dreadful or marvellous. It's a process, I've discovered and I pray that I can do this without too many/any slips

Nice to meet you

S x
Old 11-03-2012, 01:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Cor and a huge welcome to SR

I was a binge drinker for over 10 years and each time I thought willpower alone would see me through. With the help of this forum and AA I'm now almost 8 months sober but better still alot more content, less anxious..........and so much more.

Wish you well on your sober journey. We're all here to help.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Call Me "Cor"

Midnight, the Russian language is, to me, the most beautiful language in the world. Swedish is second. I'm learning it. I was inspired by a Ukrainian friend to learn Russian. I feel I simply have to have a motivation to learn the language I'm going to speak. If I'm going to speak it, it must be to another person. Unfortunately what I learned was mostly profanity. Pancakes are mild.

Sazzle, I know what you mean. Listen to yourself, love.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Call Me "Cor"

Hi Caledonia,

Thank you for responding. Fortunately, I have no reliance on that willpower. Thanks for the group hug.

You guys are amazing. Spasibo.

Thanks,

Cor
Old 11-03-2012, 01:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober since October

На здоровье)
Old 11-03-2012, 01:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Call Me "Cor"

на здоровьe)))
Old 11-03-2012, 02:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
instant

Cor alcohol misuses our emotional system against us. I am convinced that we have to regain our mastery of our emotions and wrest them away from alcohol. The emotions I was feeling were under the mastery of my addicted state. It takes a while to turn it around, but it starts with a personal understanding.

The addicted part of you needs you to to feel scared of a life without alcohol.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to our recovery family!