Notices

Triggers

Old 10-27-2012, 04:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Triggers

I was wondering if any of you have the same triggers to drink that I do...

I have a ton - and really they are just excuses, but here are some...

-When I think about my mom (we are estranged)
-When I feel down about the state of the world because of the things I see in my job (I am an assistant principal)
-When I feel like I "deserve" to do what I want to do and not what others think I should do (defiance against my world of responsibilities)
-When I try really hard not to drink (I know, that's silly, but true)
Old 10-27-2012, 05:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Ready2Stop.

I can relate to this in a way.

Sometimes it seemed to me that to think about some issues without booze was like to have the nerve of the tooth taken out without anesthesia. Excuses, of course).

Have a good day.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
PL8

My trigger is work, or just anything stressful really. My response to anything that I'm anxious about is 'I need a drink'.

So if I've got an important meeting or an interview/test, I'll have a few drinks the night before. If I've had a bad day at work ill have a drink as soon as I get home. I'm quite anxious socially so if we're going out I'll have a drink before we go, then more once we're out. If I get bad news...I have a drink.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi ready, IMO drinking triggers is your AV trying to convince you to drink. It's been long enough for me that I truthfully don't remember what mine were, so they do go away. Right now I think you either have to avoid the triggers, or develop a plan in order to deal with them without drinking.

The drinking is not alieving the anxiety and stress, in reality it's making it worse. Again it's your AV saying that it makes it better. You're an assistant principle. How long would your school stand without a plan? I'm betting not long. Your recovery needs a plan as well. Feel free to draw the support from us.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My biggest triggger is not sleeping
Old 10-27-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found the longer I drank the more reasons I could find, ready2...by the time I quit everything was a trigger.

There's so much support here tho - it really helps to talk things through or even just to know that someone is there.

D
Old 10-27-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovered

My trigger was being awake. Lol. Really. I'm an alcoholic! Thank goodness I now have a program and now nothing triggers me. I don't even think about drinking anymore.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Triggers

People.....Places.....Things

To stay clean and sober I had to change all these things!
Old 10-27-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I can relate to those, ready - especially the mom one. I had a similar situation, and the guilt I felt about it made me want to get numb. It was the worst thing I could've done, since nothing was accomplished or dealt with.

It's so good the day we realize there's no solution or relief to be found by drinking. It's a quick fix lasting maybe a few hours. When we sober up the same problems are there, and now we have another one - we're hungover, shaky, and disgusted with ourselves.

Mostly, I was like mfanch - my trigger was being awake. I don't think of alcohol as an answer anymore, either - it rarely crosses my mind. You can get to this point, too.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Breathing! I am not kidding. I was a chain smoker and drinker from wake up to sleep time. But in early sobriety it was anything I did not want to face or feared.

I am glad you are here. Are you?
Old 10-27-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
my trigger was being awake.
I can relate to that. I don't drink in my sleep. Only when I wake up to go to go to the bathroom.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

"-When I think about my mom (we are estranged)
-When I feel down about the state of the world because of the things I see in my job (I am an assistant principal)
-When I feel like I "deserve" to do what I want to do and not what others think I should do (defiance against my world of responsibilities)
-When I try really hard not to drink (I know, that's silly, but true)"

By not drinking, you will have so much more time and hope for your future. Turn these around:

When I think about my mom (we are estranged)[/I] there is hope that one day this will change and we will re-establish a great relationship!

When I feel down about the state of the world because of the things I see in my job (I am an assistant principal) I know I am making small changes with every person I encounter each day!

When I feel like I "deserve" to do what I want to do and not what others think I should do (defiance against my world of responsibilities) I'm acting like a selfish spoiled brat who is about to have a temper tantrum, so I will perform my responsibilities first, then "reward" myself with doing something for me and everyone will be happier and I will be productive, now that my time isn't being spent drinking.

When I try really hard not to drink (I know, that's silly, but true) I know that I am not the only person to think this "silly thought" because the person typing this has been where I am and what worked for her is that she'd say to that voice, "Maybe tomorrow I'll drink, but today I choose not to" and she (the typist person) has almost 18 months of sobriety treating each day in this way....with the help of AA.

Okay, so I threw in the AA part, but it seriously changed my life for the better!

You aren't alone. I was very much like you!! Know that you have support here. Just don't pick up today. Add one day with another and another and another.

YOU are worth staying sober!!

Love & hugs,
Old 10-27-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I have all kinds of triggers but parties/special occasions are the biggest. Stormy restless weather. Stressful day at work. Great day at work. Frustration at caring for elderly mom. Boredom. They were a lot stronger the first month and are lessening with time so hang in there.

When I was drinking it seems like there were so many highs and lows. So much stress and chaos. While I may get frustrated now, I rarely feel as stressed out as I used to, and life is more under control now. I still have the same exact problems, maybe it's just easier to deal when not hungover or exhausted.

I can totally relate to the rebelling again responsibility. I probably miss that the most lol
Old 10-28-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow you guys - these are all things that I needed to hear!
Sugarbear - I added another day today - hopefully if I can do what you did, I can get where you are now!!!
I think I have found the right place!