Notices

Serenity Prayer, Acceptance, and Recovery -- Help!

Old 10-26-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Serenity Prayer, Acceptance, and Recovery -- Help!

I'm trying to apply some of what I've learned and read in AA to the rest of my life, because I think it's an awesome tool to help me deal with my life.

I'm trying to move on from a past event, and as I said my daily Serenity Prayer, I realized I don't know what acceptance is. I skimmed through the Big Book and couldn't find anything meaningful. My sponsor is out of the country for a couple of days, so I can't reach out.

This past event did not involve drinking, but it was certainly a factor in why I chose alcohol to cope. Accepting this past event and moving on is really important for me and my sobriety. Even at 35 days, it's the type of event that has the great potential to cause a relapse.

I need pointers and help on where I can read about acceptance anywhere in the AA literature or how you interpret recovery. Hopefully you all don't mind being my pseudo-sponsors until mine returns.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

For me it always helped to look at my part in it. There is seldom a situation that drove me nuts that I did not have my fingers in, in oneway shape or form. It may not have been my fault but I was not completely innocent either
Old 10-26-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Eckhart Tolle explains acceptance brilliantly. He says that when you accept what 'Is', you begin to deal with the situation. It doesn't mean you have to like what is or be pleased about what is, but you need to say, okay this is it. He uses an example of someone being diagnosed with cancer. In order to help yourself heal from the disease and prepare for the fight involved, you first need to accept that you do have cancer. If you can't accept it, then your mind/body/spirit cannot begin the work of healing.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like this example...I'd recommend you Google the story Acceptance from the big book...It's a great read...One of my favorites.

Key to Serenity - Acceptance Is the Key to Serenity.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

acceptance is admitting my part in past actions and taking accountability for my part.
to find my part and the exact nature of my wrongs, it has worked best for me to get it on paper.