Notices

Back again, day 1

Old 10-25-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again, day 1

I made the decision to stay sober at the beginning of this year. I was successful for many months. Then in July this year I was married and at my wedding I thought I had alcohol under control so I drank moderately with my friends and relatives, I didn't want to 'be weird' or make a point of not drinking and joining in the 'celebrations'. I continued to drink in moderation with my wife on our honeymoon, and luckily alcohol did not spoil this wonderful time in my life.

When we returned, I started drinking in moderation again. We all know what happens after that and fast forward 3 months and my drinking slowly escalated to the point where I was having a 'hangover beer' to make me feel better in the morning, and drinking 6+ beers and a day and a bottle of wine or more at night, passing out every night, not sleeping properly, not spending as much time doing the things in life, not seeing my friends and family as much, and not feeling very healthy, and spending money on alcohol when we are expecting a child. What's the sense in that?

I just wanted to share that to remind people what can happen when you take the first drink.

Anyway, here I am on day 1, sober, feeling horrible, not able to drink water without throwing up. But it will get better, and I will feel better and I will do a better job of living my life again and being the best husband and father I can be, and that makes the pain I am feeling now worth it. Might go to the doctor later if my symptoms get better.

This time around I am going to ensure I spend time reading and posting on SR, it really helps, and I won't bow down to peer pressure to drink, no one notices or cares anyway, and it just damages my life.

Dirk
Old 10-25-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Dirk

D
Old 10-25-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you're getting back on track, dirk. I hope you feel better soon. I tried moderation too and found it eventually led back to same misery.

Congrats on day 1!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back Dirk

Sounds like you're very clear on what ou need to do. You tested the waters again...and well, sounds like that will be your last time.

I know you feel like shite at the moment...maybe seeing the doc would be a good idea.

Take comfort in knowing you never have to feel like this again and look forward to being a great Dad
Old 10-25-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did the same thing, was sober for 14 months than New Years Eve 2011 happened. Friends were in town and I had abstained during Thanksgiving at their house. Tired of the constant nagging beast so I gave in because I thought I could handle it. Six beers at night led to nine then a twelve pack until I stopped again 13 days ago.

The point is, I feel your pain, I am still recovering but feel and sleep so much better.

I am telling my addictive voice "I will never drink alcohol again".

Starting over stinks, hang in there, you can do it.

Toss
Old 10-25-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back Dirk,

Day one always stinks, I am on day 14 and determined that I do not want to go back again. You are smart to keep reading and posting on SR. This is my third time on here, the last two, I didn't check I often. I am also working with my doctor and s counselor.

I think you are smart to talk to a counselor.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

Great that you are here.