View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dirk41

Back again, day 1

I made the decision to stay sober at the beginning of this year. I was successful for many months. Then in July this year I was married and at my wedding I thought I had alcohol under control so I drank moderately with my friends and relatives, I didn't want to 'be weird' or make a point of not drinking and joining in the 'celebrations'. I continued to drink in moderation with my wife on our honeymoon, and luckily alcohol did not spoil this wonderful time in my life.

When we returned, I started drinking in moderation again. We all know what happens after that and fast forward 3 months and my drinking slowly escalated to the point where I was having a 'hangover beer' to make me feel better in the morning, and drinking 6+ beers and a day and a bottle of wine or more at night, passing out every night, not sleeping properly, not spending as much time doing the things in life, not seeing my friends and family as much, and not feeling very healthy, and spending money on alcohol when we are expecting a child. What's the sense in that?

I just wanted to share that to remind people what can happen when you take the first drink.

Anyway, here I am on day 1, sober, feeling horrible, not able to drink water without throwing up. But it will get better, and I will feel better and I will do a better job of living my life again and being the best husband and father I can be, and that makes the pain I am feeling now worth it. Might go to the doctor later if my symptoms get better.

This time around I am going to ensure I spend time reading and posting on SR, it really helps, and I won't bow down to peer pressure to drink, no one notices or cares anyway, and it just damages my life.

Dirk