Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I am new to the site - I registered today. I have been reading some posts over the last week, mainly for support and encouragement for the things I am going through and I feel less alone now.

In summary, I have been battling with alcohol for a number of years which has led me into all sorts of problems. I have upset people around me, those who care about me, and I have upset myself. I have screwed up jobs, relationships, my health, and I have been in hospital twice for attempted overdoses but fortunately I am still here. I have been a secret drinker and an open AA member but still I struggle with my demon.

In the past I have also taken recreational drugs but they never became an addiction, unlike alcohol. My longest sobriety since the age of 16 was 7 weeks back in 2010. This year I managed 12 days.

Despite what I have been through so far, now really is the time to stop. I have been ordered by my doctor to abstain for 6 weeks so that I can have further blood tests. Two days in and I had major depression (something I have suffered with all my adult life, including anxiety) and numbed the pain I was feeling with 3 bottles of wine. Today I am off work again.

I know how great life can be sober and that's what I'm trying to achieve, but in addition I am taking anti-depressants which help me to sleep and trying to deal with other aspects of my life too, all of which are compounding each other and creating that feeling of being lost and out of control.

I feel in semi-control at the time of writing this post, and I wish to have the weekend that I had planned out in my head - spending quality time with my partner and being happy and sober, going to the cinema, going out shopping etc.

I shall be checking in on the threads that I have been following, mainly the ones about night sweats, learning to change, and the physical benefits of sobriety.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to joining the journey with you xx

Happy Halloween 2012
Old 10-26-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR mangostar - it's good to have you with us

There's a lot of support here - I really encourage you to use it...post and read...reach out when you're in trouble.

we can make different healthier choices - it's not beyond any of us.

There is that better you, that better life, and those better weekends out there waiting for you

D
Old 10-26-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you mangostar. New here as well... Wishing you a great day and sending good vibes your way... See you around!

Old 10-26-2012, 05:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

So nice to have you aboard..

Love the name... Like Dee said you will find great support here.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Mangostar. Welcome to SR))
Old 10-26-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!