Notices

A call-out to all dads

Old 10-16-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A call-out to all dads

KUDOS! Every one of you deserves a standing ovation for being here!

I think that every person, young or old, male or female, benefits from the love of a daddy. When that is taken from us, either by death, drugs or alcohol, it leaves a void. As we age, we find ways to build bridges over the void so that we don’t fall into it. We get by and we may even become happy and successful, but nonetheless scarred.

So if you are here when your children are babies, then the void caused by your drunken absence is a mere dimple and will go unnoticed. Good for you! Nip it in the bud and don’t let this beast take anything away from them. If you are here when your children are old and wrinkled, the void may be cavernous, but you can still bridge it. Good for you! Get well and go mend fences.

I love reading posts from dads who talk about being there for their children. Really, you guys are great!

Old 10-16-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great Post, my daughter just turned three in July. I need to be a sober active and involved father, instead of an active and involved buzzed father.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WWG, I have no doubt that you will succeed. She is a lucky little girl.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walkingwithgod View Post
I need to be a sober active and involved father, instead of an active and involved buzzed father.
Hey, I resemble that post! lol

8, 6 and 5 year old girls for me...
Old 10-16-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Unfortunately my kids never knew anything but an alcoholic father. To all of you with young children do not do it to them. Get better, stay sober. I have done damage that may never be repaired. My heart is broken and may never mend. The only choice I have is to try to be the person I never was for them.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

14 year old girl,12 yr old son. Being with them is my greatest joy... Teenage girl included, usually!
Old 10-16-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

ForMyGirls, your name says it all! Dang, they are lucky!

MIR, forgive yourself. You are doing right by getting and staying sober…and especially by encouraging others with your wisdom. Stay strong!

Needassistance, good timing! Teenagers really do need their daddy! 12 and 14??? Let the good times roll…
Old 10-16-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by benice View Post
MIR, forgive yourself. You are doing right by getting and staying sober…and especially by encouraging others with your wisdom. Stay strong!

I have come to terms with most of my past but the hurt I have caused them is something I have a hard time with. Hopefully someday it will not haunt me the way it does." Soon I will be making formal amends to them but I have put this off until they believe I have real sobriety. That day is coming soon.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Three year old boy and six year old girl. They are perfect (to me)
My little girl is doing so well in the first grade and my little boy is all boy.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Way to go Lyingdog! Those precious little ones are so lucky that you are going to be present for them. Stay strong!
Old 10-16-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks! My daughter sure isn't old enough to understand what was going on in my life, she is almost 3, but I am old enough to understand the impact my lifestyle would have had on her. A dad that barely cares, and doesn't know how to take care of her. Oh and how glorifying would that be if she found me to be a role model. That makes me so nervous because a lot of people on her mothers side of the family are daily drinkers as well, and she adores them. That love of the booze runs in our blood too... ugh. Hopefully it stops with me.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bgh2002 View Post
Hopefully it stops with me.

That's crazy good!!!!