Notices

Mr Dumbass

Old 10-13-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mr Dumbass

Hi, I'm new and I need some help. Since the age of 7 or 8 it has alcahol has been made part of my life, it really is all I know.
I have somewhat succeeded in my life both career and life, I'm a shy retiring guy, I like family time, movies, my boys athletics, and my wife and my car..lol
Back in 2009 I was diagnosed with Bipolar2 I was hospitalised due to severe alcoholism and suicidal tendencies, I lost my career and house to this damn stuff, I have to wear long sleeves due to razor blade cuts on my arms, he'll I've been dripping in blood handcuffed at E.R... I took my meds and my life exploded...I was abstinent for almost 12 months. My new career provided new car good wage and I have just stuffed it up with one damn beer, I feel I am going backwards and the one beer is more than just one beer, I'm now feeling like I usd to and just crack a beer soon as I wake just to get rid of the anxiety ...

I know I have been stupid, but help would be welcomed

Last edited by Richie1977; 10-13-2012 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Wrong forum
Old 10-13-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Richie! Welcome to SR!!

I moved your thread from 'Friends and Family of Alcoholics' to the Newcomers forum. Lots of great people here who completely understand your struggle!
Old 10-13-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Put the drink down the sink,

H.A.L.T Hungry, angry, lonely tired ?

You know alcohol is just a delusionary panacea, it will plaster over your anxiety for a while but the underlying issue remains. So you've slipped no need to make it a complete fall , as rhetorical questions:-

what caused it ?

what can you learn from the experience and how is this going to modify your behaviour in the future ?

Is it now your intention to use this as a reason to get drunk or to get sober ?

Bestwishes, M
Old 10-13-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Richie1977....You say you didn't drink for a year....Were you in any kind of recovery program?....Or just doing it on your own.....The reason I ask...I tried once on my own.....10 of the most miserable months of my life....I couldn't take it and went back to drinking....I needed a proven program with support to get this right.....I found that in AA.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. If nothing else, just read posts until you feel like you can control these tendencies. This is important--and you know it. You are in control.

What was beautiful during your sober period? Go there.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Richie, it sounds like you've been doing really well coping with bipolar2. You can stop drinking now and get back to the way things were. You don't have to use this as an excuse to go back to drinking.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for your response, I did it by my self for the year almost, I lostst most of my so called friends, I can't go to the pub anymore they all seem to hate me now I've been in a psyc ward..it's bizarre the more honest I have become the more they hate ,me
Old 10-13-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Richie1977 View Post
Thanks for your response, I did it by my self for the year almost, I lostst most of my so called friends, I can't go to the pub anymore they all seem to hate me now I've been in a psyc ward..it's bizarre the more honest I have become the more they hate ,me
You can always make new friends that don't drink...I came to find that my drinking friends were just that...Drinking friends...They don't miss me...And I don't miss them.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with Sapling. There is this tendency to imagine friendships with drinking friends. There's actually a stunning poem about it by Kim Addonizio called "Closing Time." You can google it. It's funny and true, but I've never had a drinking friend call me for a cup of coffee or a movie. Have you?

And while they go on and on about helping you do stuff or making plans, it never works.

You might make some good friends in AA.

Or a car club. Or other sports dads....
Old 10-13-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Richie, you did it before and you can do it again, even better this time. I gotta recommend AA too. I've quit before on my own with no success. On of my new AA friends is bipolar, and she's off drugs and alcohol for several months. Many of us deal with emotional disorders as well as drugs and/or alcohol. I deal with depression and panic disorder and generalized anxiety. My meds work a lot better when I'm sober.

Why not just make a phone call to AA? Find out about some meetings. Then go to one. You don't have to do anything other than sit and listen. If you don't like it, you don't have to go back.

Keep posting!
Old 10-13-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Richie:

It sounds like one thing you did back when things were going well for you was that you were taking your meds for your Bipolar Disorder. Are you taking those meds now? Are you working with a doctor?

By the way, you are not a Dumbass.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Richie1977 View Post
They're not your friends, and it doesn't sound to me like you ever benefited from going to the pub anyway.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Richie

You'll find a lot of support here - and no, you're not a dumbass

D
Old 10-13-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're so glad you found us, Richie. Everything can get better - we are here to help. You aren't alone any more.