Notices

3:30 Insomnia the hardest part of my recovery

Old 10-08-2012, 03:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3:30 Insomnia the hardest part of my recovery

Been awake most the night. Dealing with fears and regrets like that is helpful. Sober but fragile right now. A good reason for SR even if no one reads I can get stuff out.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes it sucks.

I was waking up in the middle of the night, and as soon as I did, I was filled with panic and terror. Panic attacks I guess.

Trazadone is a sleep med that is non-addictive. I use it when I need it, but if I am really freaking out, it doesn't work.

I like that show Big Bang Theory. It cheers me up and makes me laugh.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes I was on Trazadone it didn't touch me I think I;ve done too much stuff I've become numb. I like to watch South Park Episodes but reading and posting on SR really help.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think I am the same way! I take like three times the dose she prescribed.

I got buspar and she gave me 5 mgs. I was like, are you kidding me? I need the highest dose, I am an alcoholic and I don't do a little of anything.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am not sure about your physicality - but I have thrown myself into working out. I am waking at 5 am and running my heart out. I fall into bed exhausted and sleep so well. That not being able to sleep is the worst. I know it will get better. Anything is better than tossing and turning with a pending hangover in the am.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know i walk/run every morning this is a tough part of the morning because it was when I took a bullet many years ago sleeping when I should not have been
Old 10-08-2012, 04:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One thing that DOES NOT help me is sitting around drinking coke zero and coffee all day. I have no idea why I do it.

I need to exercise.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you can catch a nap later or something Fitz.

D
Old 10-08-2012, 05:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Fitz, apart from being a sweetie pie, what are you good at?

Is there anything you could do in the early hours when you are not sleeping that may help?
Something you can really concentrate on, get your teeth into, so before you know it you are drowsy or hours have past.
I know you love helping others and the less fortunate, but something that you can do on your own, that is easily accessible, that is a bit therapeutic.

I don't know but maybe woodwork or carpentry.
Family tree investigation.
Model building - ships?
Painting or photography?

Have a think and give me a serious answer, no humour trying to reflect away your hurt feelings, fear and sadness. Which is another thing you are good at!

xxxx
Old 10-08-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sunday nights are the worst for me. For some reason I lay awake at night reflecting on every mistake I've made since 3rd grade. Then panic eventually sets in. I don't really have much positive to say, just that you are not alone.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Elisabeth 888, I am on day 8 and I have trouble sleeping too. I started walking last week. I managed to get in four days, 2 miles each time. I listen to music and the weather has been gorgeous so that really helped. I truly think it has helped with my sleeping, maybe it could help you too?
Old 10-08-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

3:30 insomnia was the worst part of my alcoholism. Couldn't sleep a full night. I did wake up middle of nightthisweek and had flashbacks of the dark days. You will sleep well again soon enough.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I remember song lyrics
Old 10-08-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
I remember song lyrics
Is that what your good at do you mean?

xxxx
Old 10-08-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes i have a good memory and enjoy it.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Remember that doctors are available to
help us as needed. Share with yours
about your trouble with sleeping and you
need help. Share with him or her that
you are in recovery and that if he prescribes
something that it not be narcatic or habit
forming because your sobriety is very important
to you.

I hope my suggestion helps some because you
deserve to be happy and content and rested in
recovery.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have had insomnia and panic attacks and depressiond talked my dr into clonazepam. What an awful mistake,at least for me since i was still drinking and it made me crave to drink more and i probably could have died. As i sit here with insomnia right now i can think back to the things that helped and i use to really like to go on walks and even did some light jogging, which might not work for me tonight but might try again some day. Also reading helps some. I like to crochet too.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Night owl

I've struggled with bouts of insomnia on and off all my life. Sometimes some things work and others they don't. THat's one reason why I'm so hooked on opiates and use lorazepam and benadryl too much at times.

Some things that have helped include clearing my bedroom/sleeping space of everything but absolute necessities like bed and maybe a very low light lamp. Twinkle lights are good for this too. There've been lots of studies saying sleeping space needs to be really calm and quiet and lacking stimulation.

Keeping lights really low for a couple of hours before sleep can sometimes help, too. Helps raise melatonin production.

When I was in a particularly bad bout of insomnia, especially when going through memories and PTSD, I took the advice of moving out of my bedroom. After a point I associated it more with stress, lack of sleep and nightmares than anything else. So I changed rooms, rewrote my inner dialogue--I don't "have" to sleep, I'm just going to lie here.......And eventually that one worked.

Couple more ideas and I'll stop. As you can see I have LOTS of experience with insomnia. Another really helpful thing was acupuncture. They have this ball that they sort of snap on your ear and it works with sleep center/meridians. If nothing else it can bring some calmness.

And one of my favorite nighttime activities--that I hope to re-engage as I get off the opiates and getting wasted every night--is stargazing. The night sky is so amazing and brilliant and breathtaking. Right now over the course of the night there are so many celestial spectacles--Jupiter, Venus, the Pleaides, Orion which is filled with many bright multi-colored stars, Sirius--the brightest star after our own sun, nebulae, galaxies, meteor showers and the occaional comet. I've seen all of these without any optical aid whatsoever. Amazingly cool.

Anyway, hope I haven't gone on too long. I hope some of this may help.

Peace.