Notices

my dog keeps me sober

Old 10-06-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

my dog keeps me sober

Some may think this pathetic, but my dog is a big reason I've been able to stay sober. I run over to him when I'm on the verge of losing it. He licks my face, runs for a ball so we can play, or dances on his toes by the door begging for a walk. I don't know, dogs have special powers it seems. There's this great book you alcoholic dog-lovers should read: Drinking with Miss Dutchie by Ed Breslin. He finally gets sober and goes to AA because his dog and his wife (but especially his dog) convince him to stop. Miss Dutchie goes to the bar with him sometimes and makes her displeasure and sadness known. He can't take it anymore.

I understand that. Zorro (my sweetheart pitbull) coaxes me away from the crazies when they come in like stealth bombers.

I just wanted to share this because right now I could blow it and right now I'm watching him chew on his bone and he's looking at me out of the corner of his eye saying "no you don't!"

Zorah
Old 10-06-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Totally understandable. We are a community of animal lovers, here. Check out the Animals We Love Grats thread in the Gratitude forum. You'll find that a lot of us believe our animals help keep us sober.

Here's a link...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html

Old 10-06-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

oh no you don't!

Dogs really can sense our mood. Mines is so much happier now, I never realised just how much I had been upsetting her too. They just adore us.

Stay strong and so brave of you to post when you reconise the urge.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

dog and god. one in the same for me. my lil buddy is always there. i sure want to be more like him. unconditional love. he always has a way of changing my attitude.
plus hes awesome to go on motorcycle rides with.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Love this <3
Old 10-06-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Heh, heh - I've always wanted a dog. Awesome companions. And taking them for walks everyday means you get out as well! I like cats too, but I'd prefer a dog I think. Ah, maybe one day when I'm all sorted. Animal therapy - a lot to be said for that!
Old 10-06-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not Alone

The love you get from an animal is different to the love you get from a human. The animals in the past that I have owned. I think that they probably loved me more than any human ever has or will. There's a special bond that we create between us and our animals. I don't think your dog keeping you sober is anyway silly I think it is truly believable. They are smarter than we give them credit for.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My dogs (three at the time) were instrumental in my recovery. I wanted to be sober to give them the care they deserve and need instead of the slipshod halfassed care they got when I was drinking. And the two I have now have never known me drinking. So their lives are the best I can make them and that makes me very happy.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Euphoric Recaller

A month after I got sober the thought crossed my mind that maybe I should get a pet. I took it as a message from my higher power so I started asking my therapist, brother, mom, dad, sponsor, and home group if it was okay for me to have a pet. They all said "Absolutely! What kind of dog are you gunna get?" I said "Dog?!? I can't handle that kind of responsibility! I was thinking of a hamster!"

A couple weeks later I brought home little June (all black European Hamster from Syria, go figure) from the pet store. She's been with me in recovery every step of the way. I love her to death and I'm greatful that she's never seen me drunk.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would have been completely lost without my beautiful Siamese. She was the only one who cared about me during the last months. She was my rock and I loved her so much. She passed away and I now have two male Siamese cats who never fail to make me smile.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't know where I'd be without my dogs. I love waking up every morning and having them right there, licking my face. They definitely help me stay sober. They love the longer and better walks they're getting now that I'm not feeling like crap all the time. AA, SR, and my dogs! I need them all!