Notices

how long this misery

Old 10-02-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how long this misery

Hi all. It is hurting(from withdrawals) just to write all this The day before I stopped I came accross this website and read for about 3 hours. I started recovery 3 days ago. A little history. AF Vet 40% disability for back. Used percs 5's off and on since 2002, always legal I went thourgh withdrawal from them a number of times and it sucked but only lasted a few days. I've had 3 back surgies and have 4 fused disks. I had neck surgery with 2 fused disks, and just had a total knee replacement in which I got some very strong pain meds (percs 10-3.25 and oycodone straigh 10's) because it is a really painful thing. So Basically life has really sucked since 2005. I used to golf 3-4 days a week and that is all I did for a hobby. I have. I'm now in a pain mangement clinic which started approximately 2 1/2 years ago. Thats when I started the oxycontin which at the end was 30mg 3 times a day.He also had me take Percs for breakthrough w/ 90 per month. The last time I saw the Doc I asked him to lower to 20 mg and talked with him about getting off completely. He is a kind man and said he could taper me off however I was so tired of these drugs running my life I asked him about cold turkey. He recommended against it but I told him thats what I wanted to do because it would take to long to taper and you still feel slight withdrawals doing it that way.He got some clonidine for me to help. Every pill I took was in accordance with prescription so I wasn't abusing drugs just taking them to relieve my back pain which they did. I have had no pain whatsoever since. My question is am I doing the right thing with cold turkey. From what I've been reading it is taking some up to 1-3 months to recover. I'm hoping to be back at work next Monday which would have been 8 days clean. On a side note I still have a full 90 day prescription of oxycontin 20's but have not even thought of using them. That's how bad I want to quit. Any advice would be appreciated. Hope I didn't ramble to long, just needed to give background.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Take your Docs advice, go with the taper. Stopping abruptly can be potentially very dangerous and totally debilitating.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for quick responce. I've kinda of talked my self out of that now as I've had 3 days of grief. I know that taper is best but it seems to take to long and you still feel bad while doing it. What problems can arise from cold turkey. I don't feel any suicidal tendancies which I believe is the big reason. I'm definitley in deep depression, not so much for anything other than what I got myself into and how the family had to deal with me. I didn't think I was that bad to be around but I guess I was so that has also entered in to my decision to cold turkey.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I stopped clonazepam abruptly. I was on 10mg daily. I had no education or knowledge about what this could do or be like.

I satyed in bed for a week.
I felt like I had flu.
I could not lift my arms above my head.
I felt like I was on the edge of a seizure every minute. The brain shocks were horrific.

I casually mentioned it to my doctor when I asked him to take the clonazepam off my repeat prescription. He nearly fell off his chair in shock. I had no idea how dangerous it could be.

I suppose I am trying to say that

1.You have my every sympathy. Withdrawal symptoms are crap. The only way I could get through it was lots of thoghts of 'thats one more day with a few more dead receptors that can no longer screech at me to give them some pills'.

2.Be careful. Don't take any chances that could permanantly damage your health.

Keep well
xxxx
Old 10-02-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thx Sasha- What kind of chances do you mean on health damages. I'm new to this kind of withdrawl so have many questions. I also felt EXACTLY like you did I finally got up the energy to get up and come to this forum. Alot of support and time passes quickly. Believe me I am feeling like crap and haven't ate anything since I started. No appetite however I am dinking plenty of water. I'm taking Cloniidine which I think is a different med. This med controls blood pressure and I have to check my blood pressure every hour so it doesn't fall to low.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm not sure what type of advice to give you, as I'm in no shape to advise anyone.

I just want to wish you all the luck in the world. You're very strong and inspiring. I've known a few people that have had a fraction of the medical issues you've had and don't have any intention of ever kicking the pain meds.

Since I don't have advice for you, I'll just offer a cyber hug.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Styxfan,
Glad you decided to listen to your Doc's advice. We have some remarkable similarities. I am a Styx fan, AF retired 71-98(Combat Arms) and am 30% paid disabled, about to go likely to 100%. I have two torn disks in my lumbar but they are not too bad yet, pain but no spinal cord or nerve issues. I am being told I must have the neck surgery and fuse where there are serious issues with stenosis and nerves to my arms. I have endured a lot of pain in the last ten years over it. I am working up the nerve to git r done. I am a recovered alcoholic with two years sobriety and active here on SR. I just wanted to thank you for reinforcing my thinking on the neck surgery. I am addictive and will stick to enduring any pain and taking NSAIDs only. I never liked any narcotics anyway. If I can handle the pre-op pain now with nothing more than NSAIDs I believe I can handle the Post OP from the Front access C5 removal and rebuild without anything more. Most folks say the pain from the neck before surgery is immediately relieved on surgery. I sure hope that is true as I don't want to go through what you are going through now. Opinion?

Let us know how it all works out.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

sorry wrong post

Last edited by styxfan; 10-02-2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: wrong post
Old 10-02-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Soul of Fire- Well thats very nice of you. I quit alcohol a while back as I couldn't mix it with pain meds, but it wasn;t easy. You unfortunitly have to stay away from drinking buds as they are always bugging you to have one and it gets old and I can't stand being around the drinkers after they get started (just like me) as they seem to get loud and rowdy. Hope all works out for you as the alcohol part did for me.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
Styxfan,
Glad you decided to listen to your Doc's advice. We have some remarkable similarities. I am a Styx fan, AF retired 71-98(Combat Arms) and am 30% paid disabled, about to go likely to 100%. I have two torn disks in my lumbar but they are not too bad yet, pain but no spinal cord or nerve issues. I am being told I must have the neck surgery and fuse where there are serious issues with stenosis and nerves to my arms. I have endured a lot of pain in the last ten years over it. I am working up the nerve to git r done. I am a recovered alcoholic with two years sobriety and active here on SR. I just wanted to thank you for reinforcing my thinking on the neck surgery. I am addictive and will stick to enduring any pain and taking NSAIDs only. I never liked any narcotics anyway. If I can handle the pre-op pain now with nothing more than NSAIDs I believe I can handle the Post OP from the Front access C5 removal and rebuild without anything more. Most folks say the pain from the neck before surgery is immediately relieved on surgery. I sure hope that is true as I don't want to go through what you are going through now. Opinion?

Hi Itchy, we do have alot in common. The neck surgery is a piece of cake. That's the only surgery that went great and very little recovery time. If you are in midwest I got a great surgeon for you to talk to. He did all my back and neck. Now onto back surgery that's another story. My 1st was just a laminectmy which means they go in and just kinda of clean out your back where the problem is. They will file anything impairing your sciatic nerve which is what the whole pain centers around. This isn't fun but the best way to go if you decide you need to. If you can somehow avoid any back surgery then do! Now all mine were a sucess which I feel forunate to that end of it, in fact as i sit here feeling like crap my back has never hurt yet. I'm hoping that maybe the last 2 1/2 years on oxy's have given my back time to really heal. My regret (which I had no choice in) was my last surgery that fused 2 more disks which made a total of four. Reason very limited twisting motion which makes it very hrd to do some tasks. The problem when they start fusing disks is the fused ones are concrete and very solid so they start putting pressure on the other disks and thats exactly what happened to me two years after the double fusion. Now that's my experience and everyone has there thoughts on this matter. And don't want to scare you but you will feel like crap from the back pain for a few days no matter how much drugs are pumped in your system and yes you will have to take some kind of opoid after this unless your superman (but then you wouldn't need the surgery). I'll be happy to answer any qusetions you still have. Good luck
Old 10-02-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
I stopped clonazepam abruptly. I was on 10mg daily. I had no education or knowledge about what this could do or be like.

I satyed in bed for a week.
I felt like I had flu.
I could not lift my arms above my head.
I felt like I was on the edge of a seizure every minute. The brain shocks were horrific.

I casually mentioned it to my doctor when I asked him to take the clonazepam off my repeat prescription. He nearly fell off his chair in shock. I had no idea how dangerous it could be.

I suppose I am trying to say that

1.You have my every sympathy. Withdrawal symptoms are crap. The only way I could get through it was lots of thoghts of 'thats one more day with a few more dead receptors that can no longer screech at me to give them some pills'.

2.Be careful. Don't take any chances that could permanantly damage your health.

Keep well
xxxx
What a great way of saying about withdrawal: "few more dead receptors that can no longer screech at me to give them some pills'".

I'll keep this in mind..thx
Old 10-02-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
Styxfan,

By the way 1973-1994..Computers. Bases: Eglin, Guam, Gunter AFS in Montgomery, Whiteman AFb.

Last edited by styxfan; 10-02-2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 10-02-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Opioid withdrawal is usually not fatal but can involve high blood pressure, fast heart beat, lots of tears and hayfever like symptoms (tears from the eyes, rapid, like crying), one sided nasal pain or blockage and cluster headaches, anorexia (loss of appetite), goosefelsh, changes in temperature, leg jerks, and cluster headaches. Thats just the physical symptoms of withdrawal.

I think, not medical advice just my experience, that doing it slowly with your doctors advice will get you better results and longer standing success, and hopefully you will be a bit more comfortable.

Good luck.
Keep posting and letting us know how well you are doing - cos I am certain you will do well.
xxxx
Old 10-02-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to you, Styxfan. Thank you for serving your country in the AF.

I have no experience with drugs, but you've had some helpful comments already. More people will be on later in the day. I hope being part of SR helps you feel less anxious about your situation - you're never alone when you sign on here. Keep posting, let us know how you are.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Me? I'd go with your Drs advice.
Welcome to SR Styxfan

D
Old 10-02-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I really appreciate all your advice and am considering both sides. I've gone 3 days (after today) and have decided to keep going unleast until next Sunday and if things don't show any improvement I am fortunate enough to begin with oxy's to feel better until I get with my Dr. next week. I really don't feel as bad as I did yesterday, mind you not a whole lot better, but a small improvement. Getting up and starting on this forum has helped alot, especially time going by quicker while on here. I am still amazed there are so many people that have this problem yet get on line for help. I'm sure this site has been a lifesaver more than once. I had thoses leg spasm's 1st night and would wake you up after I finally got to sleep. Luckily I still have muscle relaxer's that fixed that problem, maybe that will help someone else but I haven't had spasms since. I forgot to I also have a spinal cord stimulator that sends current to my feet because of the nueropathy that have my feet burning. That is the only pain that has returned since I stopped.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Styx,
In return bases Barksdale, Lackland, US Air Force Academy, Barksdale, Spangdahlem Germany, Lackland. 3 AFSCs: 5 years as a Medic/surgery tech during Vietnam, 3 years Medical lab Technologist, all the rest SAMTU/Combat Arms. You might say I found a better way to draw blood with no Aids Risk! Hand and shoulder weapons, especially full auto!
:rotfxko
Old 10-02-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Itchy;3605576]Styx,
In return bases Barksdale, Lackland, US Air Force Academy, Barksdale, Spangdahlem Germany, Lackland. 3 AFSCs: 5 years as a Medic/surgery tech during Vietnam, 3 years Medical lab Technologist, all the rest SAMTU/Combat Arms. You might say I found a better way to draw blood with no Aids Risk! Hand and shoulder weapons, especially full auto!
:rotfxko[

I was forunate as I didn't have to go to Vietnam as I joined as Nixon was ending the war. I also had 3 afsc's (only us old timers no what that means).
Computers, Recruiting (which I felt good because I never put someone if if they weren't fully commited. I didn't want to ruin 4 years of their life), and a facility manager for the big ones (missiles).Love the blood comment..Very funny
Old 10-02-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm going to repost my original post in the substance abuse section. Seems like that would be the section I should be in. Any advice to this post is still willingly accepted and appreciated
Old 10-02-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey I did not go in country, I spent those days as a medic at the Barksdale Horsepistol during that war, ummm, errr, I meant police action. Yep they don't call them AFSCs any more.

You were one of those "BOY! AM I ENTHUSIASTIC!" types in the tech school at Lackland in the 70's?

I would not take back a minute of my career. Would not go back for a minute either!

I will look for your posts and will do the neck surgery as soon as I get the three inch wide yellow colored strip off my back.