Notices

how long this misery

Old 10-02-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Not to scare you but if a nerve has pressure which it sounds like you might have, the longer you wait the more danger of the nerve going dead. I had my neck surgery done within a month of syptoms and have atrophy on the back of my right arm. Got nice muscle mass in front and none in back. It has been about 2 yrs since operation and no improvement at all. Dr says it should regenerate itself. From my research a nerver regenerates about an inch a month but my must be permantly damaged which really sucks because I got to surgery very quick. Its the nerve that makes me not able to hold a big glass of water if that makes any sense. Alo the same for carrying things and of course its in my right arm and i'm right handed. If you are having nerve issues in you're neck I would get to an Ortho asap and at least let them look at it. Better safe than sorry....Let me know how it's going
Old 10-02-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
Hey I did not go in country, I spent those days as a medic at the Barksdale Horsepistol during that war, ummm, errr, I meant police action. Yep they don't call them AFSCs any more.

You were one of those "BOY! AM I ENTHUSIASTIC!" types in the tech school at Lackland in the 70's?

I would not take back a minute of my career. Would not go back for a minute either!

I will look for your posts and will do the neck surgery as soon as I get the three inch wide yellow colored strip off my back.
Yea BOY AM I ENTHUSIASTIC but just not right now...how'd you hear about that?
You must have had a recuiter buddy somewhere along the line
Old 10-02-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I would really like to thank everyone here today as you have really helped me get through today. I'm going to sign off for now but will be back tomorrow hopefully feeling one day better

AGAIN THANKS
Old 10-03-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well I'm back but no improvement over yesterday which sucks. No energy at all which probably has to do with food intake. I have absolutley no appetite for anything, even my favorite foods... I've lost 20 lbs (probably since I started (which I needed to lose as I was 250 about a month ago) I'M 6'2" AND NOW AT CONTROLLABLE weight. I've had a banana and an apple since Sunday. This is really starting to suck, as I thought I'd feel better than yesterday.Got about 5 hrs sleep in 2 hifts.Oh Well it is what it is. This Board is a God-Send to me.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi styxfan,

I don't have any advice, just wanted to wish you well. Thank you very much for your service. Best wishes - keep us posted.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

God opiate withdrawal is the worstttt i feel for u i really do. Whats workin for me so far is suboxone... Ik in a way its a crutch but its the only thing that takes away the shakes n sweats n cravings n depression. Tapering im sure would b successful too... I wish u all the best u can get through.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

There is nothing worse than this. Be careful on suboxone as the can be a problrm to get off of but thanks to both of you for your support
Old 10-03-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Styx,
I can't offer advice being a run of the mill recovered drunk with the time to post being re-tarred and all. I can strongly recommend you keep your docs counsel. If he is one of those that always whips out the scrip pad, well, substitution doesn't help at all. I don't have any tips, but I am rooting for you from the bleachers. Give em one for the Gipper! We got your six.

(oh and try yelling in the mirror "Boy! AM I . . . you know the rest! Can't hurt unless the neighbors hear)
Old 10-03-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Good humor..Needed that right now. No I just went cold turkey because that tapering takes to long you feel bad during that,so here I am day 4 man...There is no turnig back for me . I can already see the my temperment 100 % better with family..This will be best thing I've done I guess since being born!! Hey man from one vet to another: I apprciate your support. And today is not an enthusatic day..Maybe tomorrow. Thanks
Old 10-03-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Just yell it in the mirror until you believe it, or you get an eviction notice, whichever comes first.

Let me see if I can remember feeling sore and achy all the time, and feeling like everybody is yelling around me, and not being able to sleep without sudden wake ups in terror, and wondering if I'll make it. Oh yeah! Basic! We made it through that relatively unscathed, right?

Gimme 20 rainbow!

:rotfxko
Old 10-03-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Clzev342

D
Old 10-03-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Oops! I missed the first post Clz!
Old 10-03-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Clzev - We're glad to have you join the family.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:53 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I feel a little (not a whole lot) better each day. It's a hard choice to decide on total relief from pay (which the drugs gave me) or just dealing with the pain everyday. I can't say I regret my choice because the drugs did what they were designed to do. But after 2.5 years they started controlling my life. I travel alot in the summer and always had to plan it around the damn pills so after I decided after my knee replacement in August I'm done. I'm fortunate because I do have the ability to just stop knowing I don't want to start again.But thanks for listening.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
Just yell it in the mirror until you believe it, or you get an eviction notice, whichever comes first.

Let me see if I can remember feeling sore and achy all the time, and feeling like everybody is yelling around me, and not being able to sleep without sudden wake ups in terror, and wondering if I'll make it. Oh yeah! Basic! We made it through that relatively unscathed, right?

Gimme 20 rainbow!

:rotfxko
I can't argue with you there. The only thing missing is the TI yelling. That would be pretty brutal right now. Thanks for hanging with me .
Old 10-05-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

It's now Friday day 6 and I feel the best I've felt in a while. The brain is still all fogged up but the physical part is gone. Feel lucky physical torture only lasted 5 days. Finally ate a Wendy's Spicy chicken sandwich and enjoyed it. So if I can get this far you can to. I really didn't know if I could make it (even being determined as I was) this long. To all in this forum a hugh THANK-YOU for the last 5 days. Congrats to all you still fighting.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Well, that's wonderful to hear. You never have to go back to that dark place again, styx.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Boy its been a tough weekend..I'm on day 8 and it feels like all the physical aspects have returned. I really thought I would be feeling better after a week. Just toughing it out. The minutes are back to hours again. Still hangin' in.