Notices

Day 1- I'm a drunk, an alcoholic. I need to stop.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you so much Sapling...I am happy to be here.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by missingtheoldme View Post
wow...so happy to have found someone on day 1....I relate. I am so happy you also decided to talk today.

I am a closet alcoholic..it has gotten really really bad...I now drink spirits straight and I need to stop. I look awful and feel awful. My boyfriend doesn't know and I am scared. Today is day 1 and I want to tell him but I am so ashamed. I ask myself how will I live without alcohol. I feel like ok I can probably stop drinking but not when I go out and I know I have to because I have such an addiction. I have been a drinker for many years but now I have hit bottom. I need advice please..so bad. My parents would be shocked and they will wonder if I go to their house and dont have wine with dinner. I also wonder if I can ever have fun going out without alcohol. My boyfriend could care less about alcohol and is always the dd. He would never drink again if it helped me I know that. Sitting here crying because I feel so lost. (my kids know I drink but know they have no idea how bad it is...or maybe they do)
Best of luck. This is day 1 for me as well. I think your kids probably have a sense...I guess that mine do and they are both under age 7. They are one of the many reasons I need to stop drinking.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Thank you so much....best of luck to you as well.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome to both you and missingtheoldme

I drank daily till I was 39. And in the last decade I had lost everything due to it. The sobriety road isnt easy but it is easier then trying to juggle all the other things when the only thing I was worried about was that next drink..

AA has saved this alcoholic , and given me a life that I gave up all hope of .
Old 10-01-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

After thinking it wasn't for me I finally gave up and tried AA. I needed some face to face support from non judgmental people who understood how difficult it was for me to stay quit. I found that in AA. Together with this website I've managed to string together a decent amount of sober time. You can too!
Old 10-01-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Reading and posting here really helped calm my anxiety. I knew I was in the company of people who truly understood what I was feeling. I hope you'll find encouragement and hope by being with us. Glad to have you as part of the family, Underthevolcano.

Welcome to you, missingtheoldme. You've found a great place. You can do this.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Missingtheoldme, I learned that nobody cares if I decide not to drink. I also learned that I can have a great time when I go out and not drink. The idea that I needed to drink, at any time, was a lie I told myself, and one I listened to.

You can stop listening to and acting on those lies if you choose to. You have that ability and power within you to put it down and never pick it up. Keep posting, there is a lot of support for you here.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
ntr

Hi Underthevolcano,

Your user name...I always watched that movie on benders, when I got all self-loathing. That one and others made me feel not so isolated in my "condition". I would have read the book, but I can't read drunk.

A sad sack watching a sad sack...now that's living!

A challenge to you...stay sober long enough to revisit your namesake with a clear mind. It might hit home in a different way.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:59 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by IndaMiricale View Post
Welcome to both you and missingtheoldme

I drank daily till I was 39. And in the last decade I had lost everything due to it. The sobriety road isnt easy but it is easier then trying to juggle all the other things when the only thing I was worried about was that next drink..

AA has saved this alcoholic , and given me a life that I gave up all hope of .
Thank you so much for sharing...congratulations. I told my boyfriend the truth last night and cried like a baby. He is 100% supportive and said baby we will get through this...just tell me what you need. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted. This site is wonderful and through chat last night great friends on here it helped me get the courage to let out my secret.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:02 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hevyn and freshstart57 I can do this and thank you...happy to be here and happy to have all your support. Keep you posted and congrats to you both