Notices

Sobriety or Recovery?

Old 09-14-2012, 04:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
one of many

Sobriety or Recovery?

I'm coming back off a bad relapse. This is my third day sober. I've been asking myself over and over what I'm going to do different. Then it struck me like a bolt of lightning. For years and years I was just looking for sobriety. The simple physical act of not taking drugs or drinking. I lost interest in my recovery and eventually stopped going to meetings as often because I felt like I had finally found this "sobriety" I was looking for. That is when something bad happened to me and because I had no emotional support I relapsed.

Now I'm all in, been going to 2 meetings a day the last couple of days and plan on doing a 90 in 90. Looking for a new sponsor and coming to SR. I don't want sobriety. I want recovery. Sobriety is something that means little to me without recovery. I went a whole year dry once just to prove I could have sobriety. It was worse or just as bad as drinking!

I'm not sure if any of you have had similar experiences or not, but I am coming to realize that there is more to my life than just not drinking. I have to be active in my recovery or it means nothing.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Skunkape

I think a lot of us do find we need to do more than just not drink or drug anymore.
That was certainly my experience.

I'm glad you're back and doing well

D
Old 09-14-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you made it back - Sounds like you know what you need to do
Old 09-14-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah...I've been through exactly what you are talking about....10 months...Not a year. Coming up on 15 months sober now and enjoying it....It works if you work it...Do the steps and stay connected....It's not that difficult. I heard all that stuff about having a life you'd never dreamed of having.....They were right.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
one of many

Thank you for all the support guys. I saw a few old friends in a meeting last night and it cheered me up that they recognized me. The disease always wants to make you afraid. It'll tell you things like "They won't accept you if you relapsed". What a bunch of garbage. People in recovery are the exact opposite of whatever the disease tells you and thank god they are.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's always nice to see someone come back....Some don't. Glad you made it!