Notices

Refusing AA

Old 09-11-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lfh4555 View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing some scientific statistics to support this. Along with quoting the source of said statistics. A bit cynical of 'statistics' which support any particular method when said source has a vested interest in promoting their own method. So if someone has stats from a disinterested party which can be backed up with fact, I would be extremely interested.
Not that I personally care for recovery statistics, since I believe that everyone has a 100% chance of quitting for good, but I'm happy to oblige. The largest study to date would be the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism’s (NIAAA) National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions (NESARC). The NESARC surveyed more than 43,000 individuals representative of the U.S. adult population using questions based on criteria in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition (DSM-IV) of the American Psychiatric Association (APA).

It does not support any particular method.

Originally Posted by NIAAA
About 75 percent of persons who recover from alcohol dependence do so without seeking any kind of help, including specialty alcohol (rehab) programs and AA. Only 13 percent of people with alcohol dependence ever receive specialty alcohol treatment.

Source: NIAAA: Alcoholism Isn't What it Used to Be

Data Reference Manuals:
Old 09-11-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I always recommend that you at least give it a decent try, to test out your preconceptions. But I don't go to AA either, I remember in the beginning feeling like I was destined to become a 'dry drunk' or that I wasn't really committed to recovery if I didn't go to AA, I gradually lost that fear over time.

There are other options out there. Even in the remote country region where I am, there are options in the community and online support/information.

I really have nothing though against AA, and am willing to give it another chance if need be. I've seen it work well for some people who previously struggled, so I'd never try to deter anyone from it.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

There's no parade to rain on here. We are offering our support and giving advice from our experiences. There is a lot of years of sobriety with people here on SR. Many people have stated to you their method in this. It's all the right way. It's a very diverse bunch.
There is a lot to lose when a person has drinking issues. There is a lot to gain by quitting and getting some perspective on the situation. I was afraid to quit. I had so many reasons why I couldn't give it up. I then had so many reasons to stop. I was losing myself quickly to a liquid. I was no longer in control. That didn't make sense to me.
The picture that I was painting of my life became something that I couldn't tolerate looking at. I needed a new canvas to paint. I first had to remove the one thing that kept making things look so ugly, my bottle of wine. Even though I am in the beginning stages of this journey I can say for 100% certainty that I am happier, stronger and more healthy than I would ever be while alcohol is in my life. I get to paint a different picture and that is one of purpose and one of sound mind( mostly)
There is no time like the present. Please stick around.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I went to AA and found it absolutely necessary to get me off the ground in early recovery. What AA did for me was teach me to reach out to fellow alcoholics for help. After a couple of months of daily meetings and understanding the foundations, i've found that i personally have not felt the need to work the steps. I do attend meetings on occasion for the Fellowship. Sobriety is a social activity. Active alcoholism is a lonely disease. AA may not be "necessary" but learning to exist in a world full of people is an AA is a safe place to start being around people again.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:39 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Klia View Post
thanks for all the warming advice. I don't think i'm ready to quit. I 've been ready to get ready for four years. Maybe i'm just raining on everyones parade by being here.
Please stick around, Klia.

I really hope the partisan back-and-forth doesn't send you packing. You know how people get really into their sports teams? Well, imagine your favorite sports team saved your life, saved your job, helped you lose weight, showed you how to get a good night's sleep, helped you manage your money better, improved your sex life... you'd become a pretty devoted fan, right? Maybe even a little fanatical? That's what's been going on here today, I think.

I know how easy it is for one year to turn into four. It's just easy for four to turn into 20. I spent a long time waiting for the right moment to quit. The thing is, the right moment doesn't come to you. You have to make it happen. You have to act.

Freedom, self-respect—there are so many things waiting for you. I know it seems scary, but please believe me, there's nothing to be scared about. That's just the addiction kicking and screaming against the idea of quitting. It's telling you to wait just a little while longer, but what it really wants is to make you wait forever.

I hope you stick around. You don't have to quit right now. Just stick around, OK?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:53 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

I actually don't think this is an 'AA or not' issue at all Klia

I ran away from things that might have helped me or be good for me all my life, for years, long before I got into recovery.

I was scared...I didn't want to change...even tho I didn't like my life as it was...I was comfortable in it as it was.

I didn't know what a new life would be like.

No matter what method we choose to recover - AA, AVRT, SMART, counselling, Rehab, SR, or something else...there's always that fear of the unknown...that terror of the leap of faith we have to make that things will be better sober.

The best thing I ever did was stick around, read about, research all the various different methods....then I followed the people who seem to have what I wanted, and I stuck with them.

This is a big community - there's lots of opinions, and sometimes a good deal of passion too.

I hope you haven't felt like you've been lost in the wash.

Newcomers are always the most important people in the thread, IMO

D
Old 09-12-2012, 02:49 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
~sb

Klia, I hung out on SR just reading for about 6-7 years before I was able to really stay stopped. Once I had a month sober, then I started to type on here (that is my story).

Stick around!!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:51 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I was a weekly binge drinker for 20 years and a daily drunk for the 10 years after that. I decided to stop using no "program", other than support from a few close family members and friends, and SR. I'm now over 3 years happily sober. No amount of lectures, hangovers, guilt, money spent or anything else could make me stop until I was ready to stop. Whatever method you choose (or don't choose) please give recovery a chance. It's better than I ever could've imagined.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
I was a weekly binge drinker for 20 years and a daily drunk for the 10 years after that. I decided to stop using no "program", other than support from a few close family members and friends, and SR.
I can only speak for this alcoholic...I couldn't stop like that...I guess a lot of people can't....Because I see them every day. I don't know many people that quit on their own...My new friends are in AA...My old freinds are either drinking or dead. Maybe out of that 43,000 people that were interviewed...Most of them quit on their own...It's hard to tell. It would be great if we could have a poll of the 100,000+ members here...But we can't.....So as this thread pretty much explains Klia....There are different ways to get sober....Maybe you can just do it on your own....But I think being ready is the main thing....I hope you don't wait too long to make up your mind....Because a lot of people are dead...And will die....From alcoholism.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Klia, you can do your own research, just like I did, read everything you can find, and come to your own decision on the direction you want to take. I made my statement above, based on the best information I have found, to tell you that you are OK. A book will tell you that you will end up in jail or dead if you don't do AA; and that if you can't make AA work, it means you are just being dishonest with yourself and you should smarten up or else. This is just not true, these are very bad things to say to anyone.

You are OK, Klia, but there is this whole alcohol thing with you that needs to get sorted. Look further into AA if you feel it's right for you, as so many will tell you based on their experience. If it is not right for you, please do not stop there. Make this decision to stop drinking, it is up to you after all, and then find the way that is right for you to make this happen.

Stick around, Klia. This is an important question that you asked, and you are helping others by having asked it. You will find your way, and I hope you continue to ask questions and to share with us. There is support for you here in whatever you choose to do.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
I was a weekly binge drinker for 20 years and a daily drunk for the 10 years after that. I decided to stop using no "program", other than support from a few close family members and friends, and SR. I'm now over 3 years happily sober. No amount of lectures, hangovers, guilt, money spent or anything else could make me stop until I was ready to stop. Whatever method you choose (or don't choose) please give recovery a chance. It's better than I ever could've imagined.
That's wonderful FBL!! Klia, I wish you all the best and hope you find a supportive method of recovery when you are ready. **hug**
Old 09-12-2012, 05:04 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
A book will tell you that you will end up in jail or dead if you don't do AA; and that if you can't make AA work, it means you are just being dishonest with yourself and you should smarten up or else. This is just not true, these are very bad things to say to anyone.
You're right...It is not true...It's also not in the book.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:04 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I think it's different courses for different horses. Doesn't matter which you choose as long as it the right one for you. You could do a bit of research on the other help groups that have been mentioned above. I think at the end of the day, whater you choose, giving up alcohol has to be something that YOU want to do and if you want it badly enough you'll do it with whatever help suits you.

Good luck and let us know.

Gxx
Old 09-12-2012, 05:09 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grace2 View Post
I think it's different courses for different horses. Doesn't matter which you choose as long as it the right one for you.
I don't think anybody here has disagreed with that. You just have to want to do it.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:15 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

think this post is becoming AA Vs Non-AA. It may confuse , an old timer, like me , who is completely messed up . I am trying to work on the steps on my own by reading BB and listening to the tapes. I do not know , how much successful I will be. But I can feel some peace while working on it. I am not saying AA will definitely save my life, but I am willing to put in efforts, on whatever will work for me. As so many of you have mentioned, no matter , which support group we choose, ultimately ,we have to put in work for ourselves to get sober. At the same time, we must be comfortable with the support group we choose . Hence, Kila, the question of debate does not arise. We choose whatever, make us comfortable but it is not the support group, whi will put in work for us. We have to do our own work.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:18 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Why don't you get a sponsor llastchance8?....All that is...Is someone that has done them to share with you how they did it.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=ReadyAndAble;3573344]Here's a fact. Every human being who recovered from addiction prior to 1935 did it without the help of AA.

but if you look into it, i am sure that many recovered with the same principles.

heres another fact:
most who didnt recover from alcoholism as descibed in the BB died from alcoholism.

doc silkworth worked with more alcoholics than anyone else in his time and i would have to believe what he learned, which is most alcoholics as described in the BB, went on to insanity or death.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:21 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Wow, Tomsteve, that's very rude.

And to the others, thank you. I do plan to stick around, I'm just not ready to quit yet.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yep I think this thread has run its course.

Feel free to post around, read, and start other threads Klia

D