Notices

Close call yesterday

Old 09-06-2012, 03:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Close call yesterday

It was a dangerous combination: after work, in the car alone, plenty of money, an easy excuse to go to the store (needed dog food), hungry, unsettled...a glass of wine (or 6) was just what I needed/wanted. I talked to myself (out loud) in the car, reminding myself what it will feel like to have one drink (at 4pm) -that would feel great. Then, two drinks - still ok. But by then it would still not even be 6pm and I would have no ability to stop. So, the night would spiral downhill, I'd be nice and looped by bedtime, have an awful night's sleep, wake up tired, hungover, furious and disappointed with myself that I was once again starting all over (if I could even do that) rather than on day 9. I guess that's called "playing the tape to the end", and it worked for me .

Another thing that works is something that I read, I actually think in a Joel Osteen book..about breaking bad habits. I can't quote exactly, but basically when you are quitting something you are used to doing that isn't good for you, it's uncomfortable, very uncomfortable..it doesn't feel right. You just have to get through that uncomfortableness. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I am NOT a child, there are tons of things I want to do, want to have, but can't, for any number of reasons (it's illegal, it's irresponsible, it's not healthy, it's wrong, etc...), and now drinking is on that list, because I have proven time and time again that I can't handle it. So I need to stop pouting and stop being a big baby, be strong, and get over it, like I do so many other things. Does that make sense? Anyway, that works for me sometimes too

Instead of drinking, I exercised, I straightened up the house, and I cooked. Best of all, my kids are happier, I can tell - bottom line, I am a better mom.

Now, I am on day 9, proud, happy, thinking clearly, and well-rested. Mornings are my best time, I must admit, it all sounds and feels so easy and wonderful. The rest of the day is not easy, but it- sobriety- is so, so very worth it. Something we all need to believe-- ourselves and each other- that it's worth getting through cravings, the tough times, because life so sooooo much better this way......
Old 09-06-2012, 04:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm glad you got yourself through the craving, forabetterlife.

You sound strong, which is fantastic! Good for you. I totally agree about the 'you're not a child' thing, I tell myself that a lot, too. Time to live up to my responsibilities and do the things that need doing, for myself and for others.

And you're right... life is SO much better this way.

Good for you! x
Old 09-06-2012, 04:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Awesome Forabetterlife...great self talk after a hard day in the office ..... It is great when the kids are noticably happier...I hope mine are...I know I am
AT 9 days I was still a grumpy mum with not so happy kids.. Awesome effort!
Old 09-06-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

But by then it would still not even be 6pm and I would have no ability to stop. So, the night would spiral downhill, I'd be nice and looped by bedtime, have an awful night's sleep, wake up tired, hungover, furious and disappointed with myself that I was once again starting all over (if I could even do that) rather than on day 9. I guess that's called "playing the tape to the end", and it worked for me .
Well done on you actions and for day 9 now..

Its ever so easy to forget the bad after a few good days.. It will become easier you will grow and not have such bad nights. But they do happen..

I use meetings for my daily fight in this battle. They always help those type of feeling wash out..
Old 09-06-2012, 04:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

glad you didn't listen to that destructive voice. When it comes again, and it will, you'll have a better chance to talk yourself out of it again. People told me to "think through the drink", which is exactly what you did. Sure, one glass sounds great, until your in heap on the floor, drunk and crying.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You sound terrific. Glad you were able to stay strong!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You did a wonderful job!! I love Pastor Joel too!

I'm very proud of you...I'm not able to exercise again, yet, but I hope on day 9 I'm as strong as you. Great job!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
It was a dangerous combination: after work, in the car alone, plenty of money, an easy excuse to go to the store (needed dog food), hungry, unsettled...a glass of wine (or 6) was just what I needed/wanted. I talked to myself (out loud) in the car, reminding myself what it will feel like to have one drink (at 4pm) -that would feel great. Then, two drinks - still ok. But by then it would still not even be 6pm and I would have no ability to stop. So, the night would spiral downhill, I'd be nice and looped by bedtime, have an awful night's sleep, wake up tired, hungover, furious and disappointed with myself that I was once again starting all over (if I could even do that) ...
This seems so obvious and simple to do but I must say I often just can't get to the end and forget the final consequences (or ignore them) and have that one (6) glasses of wine anyway. I am going to print this out and keep it in my purse for all those times I can't play the tape through. Thanks so much and great job!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great post. Nicely done!