Notices

once you get withdrawals is it there forever?

Old 09-03-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

How long is a while?

No one can predict what will happen for you Bobby... you might be able to stick to under 4 units and have no withdrawals but then again you might not. Have you talked to a doctor?
Old 09-03-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

You are barking up the wrong street, asking these questions on this site.

We are a Recovery Site and recovery involves abstinence from alcohol
and drugs. No drinks period, no 'safe limits. You might want to Google
Moderation Management or Moderation Drinking.

You see those of us here are alcoholics. We CANNOT drink just 1 drink, I
know I sure couldn't.

So this is a subject that we don't have answers for. I can tell you this though.
Alcohol is NOT good for one's body. No matter how few or how many you
drink it just has no healthy benefits at all.

Love and hugs,
Old 09-03-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Noone here can answer your withdrawal question.
None of us are Doctors.

If you have been suffering withdrawal tho, and you keep drinking...based on my experience, I'd bet that'll keep happening.

I self medicated too Bobby - for years.....it's very hard to stop doing that when the 'medicine' is so readily available.

I also developed a problem where no matter what my intentions were - 'just one glass to take the edge off'....I'd drink the house dry.

'Every so often' became 'every day' too...

If you can do what you plan to do - great - more power to you.
If you can't, you know where we are

D
Old 09-04-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yes I hear what your saying I have already put myself on end of the road watch now so I am very close to total abstinence and I am pretty sure I will end up that way in the not too distant future but I want to try this last thing. And I was already not drinking for months and this will stay the same - I will try a few low alcohol things i.e. one glass or two of wine under 4 units or some alcohol food rarely but no more and any sign of problems I will stop dead. I am pretty sure I didnt get any withdrawals last few times I did it but it was a while ago so I cant be sure and now I know about kindling its changed the situation.

I knew it would be tricky to answer that and I was just hoping for luck with someone that might know anyway! And yes I know 99 percent of the people here cannot do 1 or 2 drinks and I used to be like that years ago - I will have to see if it comes back and stop it right away. This kindling thing has rocked me my ideas have already changed. And scientists do say a few glasses of wine are healthy but yes I know its not so simple for lots of people. Thanks and yes its weird feeling like I can never be drunk again was a bit sad like losing an old friend :.( strange!

Its now day 8 since my last ever 'binge' drink and it also the first day I feel normal again. I was soo sleepy / fatigued etc. !
Old 09-04-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Bobby -

Congratulations on 8 days - glad you're starting to feel better. I agree with everyone else about drinking in moderation..... the idea sounds nice, but the reality (at least for me) is that my drinking has always progressed over time. I had years of sobriety myself and thought I could handle a glass of wine or two at special occasions. Within months, those special occasions got a little more frequent, if you know what I mean.....

Glad you've joined us! I've learned a lot here and gotten amazing support and I know you will too!
Old 09-05-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks all its helped allot...