Notices

14 days today of no binge drinking

Old 09-01-2012, 05:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

14 days today of no binge drinking

Wow! I should be really on cloud 9 this morning waking up knowing it's my 14th day without alcohol but I was thinking about Labor Day weekend the day we normally have a cook out have beer etc. well guess what? I don't even care about that it's not even phasing me we aint gonna party this weekend its Labor Day weekend and drinking that triggered my thought of FOOTBALL! oh geez football is something that went hand in hand with beer around here THAT will be the true tests this coming Fall. I am praying that I will be successful and strong when the new season begins and find something else to drink while the games are on I probably need to shut up and quit thinking about it and focus on today right? whew it sure felt good getting that off my chest though
Old 09-01-2012, 05:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Well done, RidingHood!
Old 09-01-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know football can be tough. I am with you with all that. Today is 19 days for me. So we r roughly in the same boat. Let's do it!!!!
Old 09-01-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Having been here for a few years, there's never an "ideal" time to quit it seems. Summer, 4th of July, football, holiday parties, new year festivities, springtime, baseball/basketball seasons, long weekends, weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, (and so on). Those events happen all year, every year.. some seem tougher for people than others. I found once I was sober for a full year, and had therefore gone through all of those old associations with booze and had created new memories through the year sober.. the years after that really didn't bug me at all. Hang in there, it's great that you're vigilant about your sobriety.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know what you mean about the holiday weekend and football season. I thought it was going to be hard on me too, but I've done really well staying focused on working out, drinking water, coffee, powerade, etc. Going to a friend's house next weekend for a football "get together", i.e. get drunk and watch football and eat garbage all afternoon. I'm hoping I can stay strong.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You know what - I was never into watching sports. I'm on day 3 of my sobriety and your thread just made me remember that about a month ago I declared that this year I was going to get into watching football because I wanted to participate in all the drinking and tailgating that goes on. I felt I was missing out on some binge drinking going on somewhere without me, and I was determined to infiltrate.

I think I'm going to learn enough this year to get into it just for something to do... to pay attention to. You can do this. We're all in the same boat here.

If you go to meetings at all, maybe some there have sober football parties? Just a thought.

Good luck. You can do this! And congratulations on your 14 days! That's huge! You should be very proud of yourself. I know I will be when I get there.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

congratulations ! two weeks without a binge for me, day six with Zero alcohol and I feel great
Old 09-01-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on two weeks RR

I'm not a football fan myself but I know lots of posters here who are, and stay sober...we can learn new behaviours...

good to see you back too edeneen

D
Old 09-01-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
If you go to meetings at all, maybe some there have sober football parties? Just a thought.
This is what I did last season...We had a blast!...I'm going to one for the Giants/Dallas opener. It is possible to have fun...Laugh..BBQ....Watch a game and remember it.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

binge drinking help?

My 25 yr old son is an alcoholic. he can go a few days w/o alcohol but then binges. His last binge consisted of 2-3 glasses of scotch, a bottle of cabernet and two 40 oz. steel reserve beers (higher alcohol content) today he started an outpatient program 3hrs a day 3-4 days per week. He really needs residential but has no insurance. I am reading Under the Influence but am trying to figure out how binge drinking fits. I also don't know how to talk to him after one of these binges. He gets very defensive and doesnt want to hear what he did when drunk and he certainly can't remember. He gets very beligerent and violent.

Last edited by tugcat007; 09-04-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: not a reply but a question
Old 09-04-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Tug, I too was a binge drinker. I just finished a similar sounding IOP program, which I coupled with individual weekly one on one counseling. Been sober 46 days. I got a lot out of the IOP, but I could tell ou get what put into it. I was very motivated, others in m group were not. This recovery will be up to him and what he puts into it. You may want move this question to the friends and fly sectio, lots of good advice for family members there too.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

RidingHood, 14 days today of no binge drinking? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.