Notices

Introduction

Old 09-04-2012, 05:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introduction

Hello!! I am new to this site, but super excited about STAYING sober this time. I have struggled with alcohol for a good solid 7 years, and it has been fun at times; but more often than not it ended badly. A DUI wasn't enough to stop me from drinking, the next night I ran my car through the front of Bally's Gym facility. Yeah....talk about being broke forever, but just about done paying for that. In the last 2 years I quit going out, and would just drink at home. Somewhere down the line that "party girl" died. I still went to work everyday, but at night it was drinking and lifetime movies. I thought "I can get used to this". Not having to get dressed, be around people I secretly despised(sp), just me and my "love". That was the beginning of the whole introvert thing, it's been a blessing and a curse. When I do something I have to be all or nothing. Not sure if I am gonna do this intensive outpatient, or try and use working out and church as my substitute. This is gonna sound crazy weird, but I have stopped doing several old "habits".....it's how I cope with life.
7-20-12 Started celibacy
8-11-12 Became Vegetarian
9-03-12 Quit Smoking and Drinking

I plan to continue the 1st for a minimum of year, and the others forever. A bad breakup fueled the first two changes. The third was fueled, by just being tired of how my life had become. There has to be more to life than work....drink....sleep. Even if I really don't believe it all the time, there's no turing back this time. For me first....for my son second. The only positive I am thankful for when it comes to alcohol? For some reason the last time I was drinking I found this site. I lurked for a few "drunk" nights, and then decided to dive in head first. Life is good, used to passing out everynight, so getting to sleep was hard last night, but wakig up was better than it's been in a long time!! Thanks for being such a supportive site, especially for those who arent ready to officially "post"!!!!
Old 09-04-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR SoberIntrovert....It's a great decision.....My last two years of drinking was total isolation....Horrible place to be. Glad you are here.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WOW - not sure I could ever do the first 2, so all I can speak to is the 3rd, and it is most certainly worth it.

Welcome to SR, where you'll find lots of help for #3.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
cfm

The mind that creates the problem is not the mind that is capable of fixing the problem.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! This forum has been very supportive for me. I hope that you find it to be the same. Congrats on your decision to quit drinking.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome! Boy I can relate to your drinking habit of staying in (and in my mind, therefore out of 'trouble'). Glad you're here, and good for you for making such healthy changes in your life!!
Old 09-04-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR SoberIntrovert

I have experimented quitting all of your 'habits' before too. So far the vegetarianism one lasted the longest (5 years, though that was years ago now) but I'm hoping that the drinking and smoking is the one that sticks x
Old 09-04-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, SoberIntrovert. It looks like maybe you see your sobriety somewhat like I do - - as a decision that's made on a continuum toward better decisions and better living. I stopped smoking six months to the day that I decided to quit drinking. I plan to make both of those changes permanent.

I wish you the best of luck in your journey!